• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ryan's EFI harness and my 4g alt.

67EB_in_619

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego
So I rewired my truck (chassis wiring) and didnt touch my EFI harness. When done, my EFI harness wire that is +12 IGN to the ALT wasnt providing power... so my alt wasnt charging. I ran a wire from the "I" post to the Alt and it works fine.. rest of EFI works fine..

Anyone have any ideas on why that wire would be dead? did I miss a wire when doing the chassis harness?

I cant find a diagram on Ryan's site about where that wire goes.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I suspect that it comes from the connector that mates with the old 3-conductor under the hood on left side. The old ign circuit runs through there. It's the red-green wire on the old side.

BTW, the "I" post is only hot during cranking. Maybe that's enough to jump start the alternator?

OP
OP
67EB_in_619

67EB_in_619

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego
"S" post is only hot when cranking.. "I" is hot w/IGN... at least thats how mine works :)

I looked at that 3 plug connection and it looks good.. in fact that is how the whole harness gets power from ign. When I disconnect my fuel pump doesnt run so it does make it past that plug... ugh.. this is gonna get messy.

Thanks! Keep the ideas coming!

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
"S" post is only hot when cranking.. "I" is hot w/IGN... at least thats how mine works :)

I looked at that 3 plug connection and it looks good.. in fact that is how the whole harness gets power from ign. When I disconnect my fuel pump doesnt run so it does make it past that plug... ugh.. this is gonna get messy.

Thanks! Keep the ideas coming!

Strange. You must have something else hooked up to the "I" where it's getting current from. With the old ignition it was hooked up to the pos side of coil and you'd have 6-9 volts on it when running because of the ignition resistor wire.

You could try to get a hold of Ryan and ask him.

Ryan

Loc.
Lansing, MI
Did you check the EFI fuses yet?
EFI_power_diagram.gif