• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Saginaw P/S Pump Question

Jimboss77

Contributor
Loc.
Greenville
My old p/s pump on my 77 302 is ready for the scrap pile. It is the round body Cardone style pump. It seems a lot folks use the Saginaw pump so I’m thinking of making the switch with the new one. Would the Saginaw unit be a direct swap with my current mount brackets, hoses, and spacing or will I need to change those as well? I will replace hoses anyway to make sure no trash goes in the new pump. I’m about 90% sold on the Saginaw just want to know if I need to change hardware or other changes.
Thanks.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
You will need the Saginaw bracket from wh or toms. Still might need a little grinding on the bracket depending on which Saginaw pump or reservoir you have. You might be able to use your hoses with adapter fittings. Some of the vendors sell the correct hoses for the swap or you can make.em local. Also when hose shopping make sure if the new pump takes a standard or metric pressure fitting.

Contributor
Are you running the original v belt setup or the explorer front dress?

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
The saginaw will need a new mounting bracket as well as the correct adapter fitting in order to align correctly and use the OEM pressure hose.

OP
OP
Jimboss77

Jimboss77

Contributor
Loc.
Greenville
It is original v-belt. I just looked at the WH site and see the bracket and fittings. I figured there would be some pieces I needed to mount the Sag pump. This helps. On the same subject, is the Saginaw just a better built unit than the original Thompson pump or other benefits?