• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Saginaw power steering pump pressure port fitting torque

RonJones

Contributor
Anybody happen to know the above? Having a significant leak after replacing the inverted flare fitting with the direct to -6 AN fitting from BC Broncos. Don’t want to over-torque. I’ve noticed a copper washer under some original fittings - should I add one?

Attachments

• 9576271D-FF8E-4002-BB7D-5961D372F6B7.jpg
    9576271D-FF8E-4002-BB7D-5961D372F6B7.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 24
OP
OP
R

RonJones

Contributor
No, the original inverted flare fitting from Tuff Stuff didn’t have one, and neither did the fitting I bought from BC Broncos.

OP
OP
R

RonJones

Contributor
Just got off the phone with Jason at BC Broncos; he says no need copper/fiber washer gasket, and torque should be 40 ft lbs.

MonsterBIlly

I was watching the WH video about installing their hydroboost brakes. They mentioned righting the exact fitting your post is about. Jim stated in the video to tighten very tight.
I assume yoy just need to out more muscle in that bitch

ksagis

Contributor
Aspiring Bronco Guru
My take is slightly different, it looks to me the oring on the fitting is intended to seal on the countersunk hole in the pump. If that is indeed the sealing surface, then adding torque isn't going to help. Suggest you check the "bore" the fitting goes into and check for good surface finish.

OP
OP
R

RonJones

Contributor
Jason was saying that the o’ring on the fitting does in fact do the high pressure port seal, but the reservoir can has to be pushed back to the “big” o’ring seal at the pump proper, if I recall his explain correctly. I’ll try the 40 ft-lbs Saginaw recommends, and if that doesn’t do the trick, I’ll do some bore sighting (all chock full of fluid waiting for (sigh) another bleeding).