• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New Saginaw Pump - no power steering

crutch

I just installed a new saginaw power steering pump (from WildHorses) with a rebuilt power steering box and I've got no power steering. I was reading a post about possibly the pressure valve in the pump being stuck.

Should I start with checking that pressure valve? How do I reset that? Is there a particular type of fitting to use on this pump? I'm using an Aluminum -6AN AN6 Male Flare to 5/8 x 18 Male Thread Inverted Seat Adaptor Fittings Male Inv Flare Connector. I do have the Lee fitting that I used on the Explorer pump. Fitting, Straight, AN flare to Metric, Steel, inverted flare, -6 AN to 16mm x 1.5 Male Washer, Aluminum.

Thanks!

Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Not sure, but subscribing to learn.
In the meantime though, you do have the pressure line plumbed to the forward port on the box, correct?
I'm guessing you have that correct because usually the result is a herky-jerky motion and all sorts of crazinness. But figured I'd check just in case.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What about noise too?
Did you do an extensive bleed process? Even thought the Saginaw/Delphi pumps are not known for needing as much as the old Ford pumps, it might still happen. Especially if the lines are routed in a convoluted way that might trap air.

Paul

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm thinking that we need to use steel fittings for pressure side of power steering, not aluminum. If you are going to crack the system open at all, i would have a steel fitting ready to put in there.

2x on the bleeding and watch you fluid levels closely while you bleed.

Hank

OP
OP
crutch

crutch

Thanks Paul. I did plumb the high pressure pump side to the front of the gear box but didn't really do any bleeding. I filled up pump, started engine, it dropped a few inches, filled it back up and started engine and it has stabilized in fill level. I'm not noticing any noise.

What I've realized is there are so many variations of fittings in sizes and types even between different years of pumps and gear boxes. I did get the o-ring style correct fittings for the gear box but going to check the fitting on the pump.

I haven't done any bleeding, I'll search for instructions on how to bleed power steering but if anyone has any recommendations I would appreciate it. Thanks all!

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Really need to jack front end off ground and cycle the steering back and forth slooooowwwwwwly while running to bleed it right.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
Does anyone know what the correct fitting is for a new Saginaw Pump ordered from Wildhorses to convert to a 6AN hose. Does it require the 16m x 1.5 O-ring seal? https://www.jegs.com/i/Russell/799/648060/10002/-1

No O-ring required for that fitting. Here’s the correct fitting.

https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Fitting_6x5-8-18_Inverted_Flare/Bronco_HD_Delphi_Steering_Pumps

Aluminum fittings are not recommended for the pressures of a power steering system. They can be up to 1800psi. Always best to use steel.

Mark

Attachments

• 0DEE4764-CC22-4260-8FD2-F7CB33351867.jpeg
    0DEE4764-CC22-4260-8FD2-F7CB33351867.jpeg
    116.8 KB · Views: 12
OP
OP
crutch

crutch

I swapped out the correct steel fitting on the pump. Since This steering box was just rebuilt I wanted to flush out the system so I took the return line from the steering box and attached a tube to run to a drain container. I also capped the return port on the pump. I have bumped the starter a number of times and been turning the wheels while in the air and not getting any fluid through the return line. I’ve attached a photo. Shouldn’t I have fluid in the return line? Should I start the engine and let it run? Any thoughts?

Thanks!
62d0e2a82d219334de64ccd3cd8cb59b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
crutch

crutch

I went ahead and started up the engine and I’m not getting any fluid flowing through the system. Something is blocked. Any recommended tests to isolate?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm not sure you can do this without totally aerating the fluid, but maybe the experts can chime in on whether or not you can run the high-pressure right back to the return with the clear hose to see if the pump is pumping, or if the blockage is in the gearbox.

It would be interesting, but it would be even nicer to avoid any unnecessary mess!

Good luck.

Paul

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
I’d say the pump isn’t pumping. If there were a blockage in the steering gear, the pump would build pressure. If that were the case, the pump would be making all kinds of noise.

Mark

PaveBronco

Might want to look further into the pump, the fitting that actually goes into the pump itself, not the one you just swapped out, is critical for flow rate. Also the spring and shuttle valve/relief valve. I'd pull the fitting off the back and make sure the shuttle valve moves freely and isn't stuck, and that there is a spring, and everything is in the right order.

Attachments

• PowerSteeringParts.jpg
    PowerSteeringParts.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 23
OP
OP
crutch

crutch

Thanks, one thing I noticed is that when the engine runs there is no movement of the fluid in the pump reservoir which makes me think the pump shaft isn’t turning.

EPB72

Contributor
Loc.
Pleasant Hill, CA
Saginaw/Delphi pumps fairly common shaft breaks ,,pull belt spin pulley probably will feel little to no resistence,,,sometimes pulley and part of shaft will pull out,, have one on bench at work from a few weeks ago

welndmn

Bronco Guru
Let's rule out some dumb stuff,
Because I see the flex hose in your picture, you have a explorer swap, maybe a 351?
What's your belt routing, are you spinning the pump the right way?

IT also could just be a bad pump, sometimes it happens right out of the box.

ransil

Bronco Guru
I swapped out the correct steel fitting on the pump. Since This steering box was just rebuilt I wanted to flush out the system so I took the return line from the steering box and attached a tube to run to a drain container. I also capped the return port on the pump. I have bumped the starter a number of times and been turning the wheels while in the air and not getting any fluid through the return line. I’ve attached a photo. Shouldn’t I have fluid in the return line? Should I start the engine and let it run? Any thoughts?

Thanks!
62d0e2a82d219334de64ccd3cd8cb59b.jpg

remove the high pressure line going to the steering box and see if there is flow.

OP
OP
crutch

crutch

Thanks everybody, finally got a chance to install the new pump after the holidays and that did the trick. Thanks to WildHorses for fast and excellent customer service!