• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Salvage Yard Engine Sale in PA

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
I went to a yard near me in Pennsburg PA yesterday and they have an event coming up "any engine $80" in case anyone in the area is thinking Explorer upgrade. I checked the odometer on about six and they varied between 129K and 280K(!). I am going with a 271 Hi-Po 289 but I thought I would pass it along.

http://www.wegotused.com/

OP
OP
pcf_mark

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
It sounds so damn good...and I never go off road. Around town cruising and snow driving in winter. I may not go with the factory cam, more like a modern equivalent from Comp Cams, maybe a Thumpr. I have more problems to solve before then - like paint because my wife has started to complain about it being "a little ugly".

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
You'd be better off selling it for $$$ on a Mustang forum to somebody looking to build a numbers matching car and simply building a 302. A Hi-Po 289 is not a great choice for a Bronco. It's a high revving engine that will never be driven like it was engineered to. Just my $0.02.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Why would you put a Hi-Po 289 in a Bronco ?:?

Why not? I would. It's not some 'radical' or 'exotic' engine; simply a mildly warmed up 289 4V with a solid lifter cam. Its a very tractable and well-mannered engine over the entire RPM range (unlike the Boss 302).

OP
OP
pcf_mark

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
What may kill the whole idea is the stock torque converter is really tight. I would need to swap that out too. Automatics are not so cool sometimes...

MooseyFate

Loc.
Colo Spgs, CO
a bit OT, but my wife gets a bit creeped out at Harry's. Usually the medical trash and rubber gloves are left from the crash...... alright, creeps me out a bit too.

OP
OP
pcf_mark

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
I have not seen that but now I am on the look out! One of the yards has the high dollar stuff from wrecks. These usually have the icky stuff I bet. The Pennsburg yard is older cars with some miles and fender bender or rust. Not too many roofs cut off or doors pryed open with the jaws of life!

Hey $80 for a 5.0 Explorer is worth it!

OP
OP
pcf_mark

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
I have not seen that but now I am on the look out! One of the yards has the high dollar stuff from wrecks. These usually have the icky stuff I bet. The Pennsburg yard is older cars with some miles and fender bender or rust. Not too many roofs cut off or doors pryed open with the jaws of life!

Hey $80 for a 5.0 Explorer is work it!