• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Salvage Yard EFI

AZ4x4

Loc.
Colorado Springs
So here in El Paso there are a ton of salvage yards and I'm tired of playing with my carburator. What type of vehicles should I snag parts from and what all parts do I need to hook up EFI to my 302 in my 68 Bronco. Thank you all for your help. It's about time to get out and play and maybe have better MPGs and a little more power.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Read till your eyes bleed and then make some choices.

What type EFI, Speed Density or Mass Air? If Mass Air, OBDI or II. Speed Density is all OBDI

Once you decide on that you can start moving on parts. That's how I did it. Then screwed up and bought a Speed Density 96 van as my donor and had to convert it to Mass Air. Verify before you buy and just because there is an OBDII plug/port under the dash, don't mean it's OBDII.....:(

Tim

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Simplest way?

Snag a 5.0L engine and harness and PCM from a 1996 to 2001 Ford Explorer or Mercury Mountaineer and then replace the 302 with it.

OP
OP
A

AZ4x4

Loc.
Colorado Springs
I would like to keep the motor I currently have. It's a newly refurbished motor from 5 star out of Phoenix and it bolts right up to my NP 435 and my brand new aluminum radiator. I'm really looking to yank all the parts off another vehicle and slap them on mine. Thanks.

RPM289

I am looking into the Old GM TBI swap it looks easy enough just not sure on HP support on a 302 but I see chips can be burned to help tune it to Bronco.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Because Mustang HO stuff is so hard to fine and the ECU's are getting like hens teeth, the Explorer route is the way to go unless you want TBI style injection.

I didn't do the Explorer swap but here is a start.

Get the upper and lower intakes complete with all cables, bolts, sensors, hoses, injectors, fuel rail, the works.
Get the harness (all of it you can there is a thread that says where to cut it) and ECU
Get the front dress (brackets, bolts, fan, PS pump alt, everything)
Now all you need are a few things here and there as well as building a fuel system

If looking at TBI, FiTech seems to be the way to go. I'm looking at installing it on my 69 Mach 1

The EFI on my Bronco is cobbled together from a 95 Mustang, 96 E350 van and 96 Explorer.

Tim

Knuck

I have almost all the parts to do a full Ford EFI conversion. Of course right after I had accumulated most of the parts, the FiTech system came out. Going to purge all the Ford EFI stuff I have and go with FiTech. Much easier cleaner setup imo.

Sporto

I would like to keep the motor I currently have. It's a newly refurbished motor from 5 star out of Phoenix and it bolts right up to my NP 435 and my brand new aluminum radiator. I'm really looking to yank all the parts off another vehicle and slap them on mine. Thanks.

Is the motor a 302 and has it been bored out or modified in any way? If not the Speed Density setup from a Ford car or van is the way to go. It is cheaper and easier to find. If you modify the engine displacement or cam it can create a challenge for a stock SD computer to keep pace with the different engine characteristics.

Rich

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
People are on the FitTech band wagon and that is great because it is simple and looks like a carb so people are less intimidated. If you want simple that is the way to go for you. My complaint about this system and others like it is that is essentially 1982 throttle body EFI technology.

I prefer the Ford style systems because they are port injection - an injector in the runner for each cylinder. The intake is equal runner and the injection is as close to the back of the valve as possible. The idle air control is more robust and the integrated ignition with the fuel control is what makes it so driveable. Just my opinion.