• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

SBF bendix not retracting w/o load.

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Yup & yup is what I figured also. I didn't know that about those year Stangs till I had the parts clerk check for auto/manual & they were the same

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I didn’t know either until I dug into my application book for a starter manufacturer that I represented in a previous life.
Knowing that traditionally manuals and automatics use different starters on our engines, I was surprised to see them list only one starter for the mustang, even though I knew they offered both automatic and manual transmissions that year.
Always something new to learn!

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
So what Ford "mini-starter" fits our early blocks and 164 tooth flywheels?

I have been running one for 12+yrs but bought it from TBP.

Wouldn't mind knowing what I could get as a quick replacement at a parts store.

I am dumbfounded at the # of starter options Ford has for the SAME block-what a joke...
I haven’t started it up yet but I got the powermaster 9603. And it works for both 164 and 157.

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
So... with the differences in the PA & Meziere flexplates and the starter differences and still trying to be 101% certain that this works like it's supposed to I put some Prussian blue on the teeth and the teeth "tips" of the bendix gear teeth making sure that they don't contact/bind in the root of the flexplate...

That's a 12+yr old starter.

Check the pattern-looks decent, I mean it's a starter - but it doesn't release lol

The pin is .023" dia

Attachments

• 20230615_104114.jpg
    20230615_104114.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 20230615_110225.jpg
    20230615_110225.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 20230615_110200.jpg
    20230615_110200.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 12

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
None of the photos look like it’s hitting too deep on the starter but this looks to me like the tips of the flex plate are contacting the root of the bendix.

Attachments

• IMG_3936.jpeg
    IMG_3936.jpeg
    681.5 KB · Views: 12

cldonley

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Robinson, TX
On light aircraft with Lycoming engines the starter is an automotive type of starter (likely from the same manufacturer at 10 times the price) that engages a flywheel just aft of the prop that is easy to see. When the engine is turned over by the starter but doesn't start, the gear is nearly always stuck in the flywheel, doesn't retract fully. When it sticks after startup it makes all kinds of noise. I think the theory about compression causing resistance that keeps the starter gear from fully retracting is accurate.

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
I
On light aircraft with Lycoming engines the starter is an automotive type of starter (likely from the same manufacturer at 10 times the price) that engages a flywheel just aft of the prop that is easy to see. When the engine is turned over by the starter but doesn't start, the gear is nearly always stuck in the flywheel, doesn't retract fully. When it sticks after startup it makes all kinds of noise. I think the theory about compression causing resistance that keeps the starter gear from fully retracting is accurate.
THAT makes me feel better! :) Thanks for posting up!