• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Score!!!!!!

triggers68

Loc.
El Dorado, AR
My sons friend did an about face on his 65 Mustang build and sold me his EFI setup and AOD transmission that he had previously gotten from a salvage yard. $300 for all. The setup is from an 89 Mustang and has fuel rails, injectors, all sensors and complete wire harness. What would you guys suggest using to clean up the intake. I have access to a hot bath at a dealership, a wash rack with degreaser and a glass bead blaster. I plan to powdercoat the upper to match the Bronco color. Which one???:?

Last edited:

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Hell if you work at the dealership you tell us ..I'm not trying to be a smart ass but I can't wait to see the answer ...My RUNNING Buddie HAS ONE THAT IS DIRTY ..I told him to take it to the hot tank at our buddies machine shop ..I was telling him some of these guys can clean them up until there look new.....
......Let us know and maybe some one else will chime in .

Amac70

ME
i used a glass bead blaster at work when i did mine. worked fine. Can you hot tank aluminum?

Wyldebill

Loc.
Berthoud, Colorado
If you use glass beads, make sure you get the part cleaned out well after. The bead particles embed them selves in the aluminum and are difficult to completely remove. Invisable amounts can go through the engine and ruin it in seconds. You can solvent clean, air blow, pressure wash, and wipe all you want and it won,t be clean enough. Only way to gaurantee your part is clean enough is to wash it with warm water and dish detergent. I wash twice after having to replace a customers motor after my learning experience. If you can get away with it throw it in mamma's dish washer.

L&D's Broncos

i used a glass bead blaster at work when i did mine. worked fine. Can you hot tank aluminum?
Yes, as long as they ( the machine shop of choice ) does not use caustic soloution. A lot now as in mine use cascade and REALLY hot water under high pressure. Does same job and you don't need a haz-mat team to service your machine.

OP
OP
triggers68

triggers68

Loc.
El Dorado, AR
Hell if you work at the dealership you tell us ..I'm not trying to be a smart ass but I can't wait to see the answer ...My RUNNING Buddie HAS ONE THAT IS DIRTY ..I told him to take it to the hot tank at our buddies machine shop ..I was telling him some of these guys can clean them up until there look new...
......Let us know and maybe some one else will chime in .

I work construction and have access to the wash bay and bead blaster, a friend works at a dealership and said he could hot bath it. He says they only use really hot water but getting someone to clean the washer out every once in a while is tough. Says he cant guarantee how clean it would get. Im wanting to detail the engine and compartment and figured someone on here would have had experience with one or the other. I dont mind blasting it but wasnt sure if it would harm the aluminum.

Thanks for all the input. Doing a frame off and just want everything to look new when im done.

Hal9000

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Flagstaff, AZ
Most dealerships and decent shops have a parts washer. Basically it's a big dishwasher designed for auto parts.

They work better than anything else I've ever seen. You could probably take your parts and a six pack in and convince somebody to throw your parts in their washer.