• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Sealing NPT fuel fittings

JKH67302

Contributor
Thanks for the AAR Joel. I might have missed it but why did you replace the 3 fittings in the sender? Are the ones that come with it no bueno? If not I'll add it to the list of "stuff" I need prior to putting in the tank and the rest of my Explorer stuff.

Good to hear about the Gasoila, I had already pulled the trigger on that stuff completely based on it being the only product that actually said it was made for gasoline.

James

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
RODRIG3911

RODRIG3911

Contributor
Loc.
Tucson
Thanks for the AAR Joel. I might have missed it but why did you replace the 3 fittings in the sender? Are the ones that come with it no bueno? If not I'll add it to the list of "stuff" I need prior to putting in the tank and the rest of my Explorer stuff.

Good to hear about the Gasoila, I had already pulled the trigger on that stuff completely based on it being the only product that actually said it was made for gasoline.

James

My pleasure man.. The only reason I bought new fittings was because I took off and retightened the original ones 5 times in an attempt to seal. They were to the point where it was way too easy to screw them in and I figured for sure they wouldn't seal being that loose. Your new ones should be perfect. If you need a hand with yours when you're ready to install let me know. Unfortunately, I've now pulled and installed mine 6 times, so I got it down pretty good lol

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Just checking in to see if everything is still working well with the Gasoila? I've had a little more time to work on mine lately so I did the 5 gallon overnight test that WH recommends. No leaks from anything sealed with the sealant I originally had on the fittings so I'm going to run that for now. However, I did have a drip from the stud where the pump + wire attaches so I disassembled it, tightened it, pulled out the foam per Yeller's recommendation and I'll soon do another test to see if it still leaks or not. I had to re-clock some of the fittings to get access to the mounting plate screws and give better wrench access to the fittings. I'm glad I'm doing all this now rather than when when I'm broken down on the side of the road!

Here's a link that Danny Cabral (now a Holley guru/employee - also a FSB guru) put together on proper thread sealants, etc.

https://forums.holley.com/showthread.php?2557-Proper-EFI-Hose-Sealants-amp-Clamps

Todd Z.

OP
OP
RODRIG3911

RODRIG3911

Contributor
Loc.
Tucson
Hello Todd... Everything’s been perfect! Not a single leak after using the gasoila and I’ve tested it a ton on and off road with my Bronco. If you happen to have issues in the future with the high tack, I really do recommend that gasoila for sure. Good luck sir!

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Hello Todd... Everything’s been perfect! Not a single leak after using the gasoila and I’ve tested it a ton on and off road with my Bronco. If you happen to have issues in the future with the high tack, I really do recommend that gasoila for sure. Good luck sir!

Excellent - glad to hear! I'm actually using the Aviation form-a-gasket rather than the High-tack so I'm hoping for good things!

Bear Down!

Todd Z.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Just checking in to see if everything is still working well with the Gasoila? I've had a little more time to work on mine lately so I did the 5 gallon overnight test that WH recommends. No leaks from anything sealed with the sealant I originally had on the fittings so I'm going to run that for now. However, I did have a drip from the stud where the pump + wire attaches so I disassembled it, tightened it, pulled out the foam per Yeller's recommendation and I'll soon do another test to see if it still leaks or not. I had to re-clock some of the fittings to get access to the mounting plate screws and give better wrench access to the fittings. I'm glad I'm doing all this now rather than when when I'm broken down on the side of the road!

Here's a link that Danny Cabral (now a Holley guru/employee - also a FSB guru) put together on proper thread sealants, etc.

https://forums.holley.com/showthread.php?2557-Proper-EFI-Hose-Sealants-amp-Clamps

Todd Z.

Great resource, thank you for the link Todd!

EricLar80

Bronco Guru
You guys are fancy. I never knew there was something other than Rectorseal No 5 to seal fittings with. I use it like the dad uses Windex in 'My Big Fat Wedding'. ;)

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
pipe dope works for NPT.. i'm cheap and just use what i use for work.

BUCKWILD

Loc.
Butte county
I have had great luck with yellow teflon tape, Its for petroleum and have not had a problem. I use it on my oil and fuel lines in a NPT fitting

JKH67302

Contributor
Todd,
I am finally getting to this part of my build and I did a quick review of this thread. What was the reason for pulling out the foam that was recommended by Yeller?
James

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Todd,
I am finally getting to this part of my build and I did a quick review of this thread. What was the reason for pulling out the foam that was recommended by Yeller?
James

His comment in another thread was that he felt the foam would eventually break down and possibly clog the sock on the end of the pump, particularly with today's sometimes noxious fuels. I tended to agree so I removed it. I did a ton of online research as part of this sealing process deep dive and I didn't ever see any other in-tank assembly that used the foam, except the Aeromotive assembly that uses some yellow foam, but that's a different configuration.

I had to pull my tank before Christmas because it was leaking and needed rework too. I seem to have it fixed now but I still haven't filled it completely to fully test it. I want to get some time on it before I do another thread on all my changes/fixes. Since the foam was not in it, the pump assembly was cock-eyed in the fuel trough when I pulled it out of the tank. I'm not sure if it went askew during the install or it happened when I pulled it out but I knew I needed to fix that. So the revised assembly has two zip-ties attaching it to the structure so it can't move.

I did use the Gasoila recommended by Joel on several of the junctions and it seems to be working well.

Todd Z.

JKH67302

Contributor
That makes sense on the foam. I will remove that. I am using the Gasoila too. Did you use high tack on the cork gasket or the Aviation gasket stuff?

Are there special zip ties for fuel applications? My unit had two ties on tray assembly but I assumed it was for packing only. They were the bigger heavy duty types. I still have those as I cant seem to throw anything away until everything is done and good. My hoarding ways pay off every now and then....
James

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
That makes sense on the foam. I will remove that. I am using the Gasoila too. Did you use high tack on the cork gasket or the Aviation gasket stuff?

Are there special zip ties for fuel applications? My unit had two ties on tray assembly but I assumed it was for packing only. They were the bigger heavy duty types. I still have those as I cant seem to throw anything away until everything is done and good. My hoarding ways pay off every now and then....
James

I used the Aviation gasket #3 on the cork gasket and I don't THINK I had any leaks at that junction but I'm not 100% certain. It appeared I did have some leaks at one of the NPT fittings where I used it so I re-sealed all the NPT fittings using an aircraft fuel tank sealant material that I got from one of my smart Bronco friends that happens to also be an aircraft builder/pilot. I didn't re-use the cork gasket - I followed Joel's lead and bought a replacement Viton gasket from Tanks Inc. and used it instead.

The only requirement for the zip ties is that they're nylon. From my spacecraft assembly/offroad racing/engineering nerd background, I only use Thomas & Betts Ty-Raps on my truck if I can help it and they're good quality nylon so I used them to retain the pump assembly. I saw numerous pictures online of various manufacturers using nylon zip ties on their 'fuel pump on a stick' assemblies and I inferred from those pictures that it's an OK practice. Yeah, a hose clamp might be 'better' but that would take more work to come up with a good attachment method for it.

Todd Z.

JKH67302

Contributor
Good info, thanks Todd. I think I'll save some potential headaches and order that seal like you and Joel did.

James

OP
OP
RODRIG3911

RODRIG3911

Contributor
Loc.
Tucson
That Viton seal is way better James, so good idea! I had a heck of a time with leaks at first, but every things been fantastic ever since I re-did it all with that Gasoila sealer and Vitron gasket. Good luck man.

Joel

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
That Viton seal is way better James, so good idea! I had a heck of a time with leaks at first, but every things been fantastic ever since I re-did it all with that Gasoila sealer and Vitron gasket. Good luck man.

Joel

Another good thing about the Viton seal order is that they send Viton o-rings to go on all the sealing screws for the fuel pump assembly flange as well. My original screws from WH didn't have them, although they did have the recess under the heads for them. I added them and also coated the threads with Gasoila to hopefully keep everything sealed nicely.

Todd Z.

JKH67302

Contributor
I finished the pump and sender install this weekend. It will be a little bit before I can fire up the motor, so we shall see in a little bit if its sealed up. I too used the O rings and Gasolia'd the threads on everything. I feel much better with the that seal. Maybe Paul will read this thread and update the instructions and include that seal with the tank. That seal should be standard in my mind.
James

OP
OP
RODRIG3911

RODRIG3911

Contributor
Loc.
Tucson
Yeah I agree, it’s way better! The cork ones sucks and you got to make half the holes yourself.... Good luck when you fire it up man! Sounds like you did a thorough job :cool:

1buckeyefan1

I finished the pump and sender install this weekend. It will be a little bit before I can fire up the motor, so we shall see in a little bit if its sealed up. I too used the O rings and Gasolia'd the threads on everything. I feel much better with the that seal. Maybe Paul will read this thread and update the instructions and include that seal with the tank. That seal should be standard in my mind.
James

I'll be getting to dropping my Tanks Inc PA-2 in my NWMP tank here soon. The Gasolia tip is great timing. What did everyone end up using on the Viton Seal then? Gasolia on the threads, what to use on the seal itself?