• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Selecting the right gears for a front Dana 44

BroncKrawler

Loc.
Harrisburg, Oregon
I'm needing to order new gears for my Dana 44 and I see on Randy's Ring and Pinion website they off a 4.88 regular and a 4.88 thick gear set, whats the difference? I'm going to be running an Ox Locker in the front if that helps make the decision between the two sets.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I think the thick set is if your keeping the standard 3.72 and taller gear oem case.
Since you going with the Ox (killer btw) it is likely a 3.72 and shorter gear case already so you would get the regular ie., not thick set.

OP
OP
BroncKrawler

BroncKrawler

Loc.
Harrisburg, Oregon
The Dana 44 has 3.55 gears currently, I just called Randys and the guy said thick is what I want but I still don't understand the difference. I really don't want to order now and then find out I should have gotten the regular gear set

Nobody

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stanwood
Thick cut gears are for a specific vehicle application, or to avoid having to purcase a new carrier or locker due to changing gear ratios that cross the carrier break. Since the Ox locker is a full carrier, just be sure to buy for your ratio, and standard thickness gears.

Carrier-Illustration.gif