• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Serp Conversion and Passenger Inlet Water Pump

jamjet

Loc.
Tucson
92 Mustang Engine - Can the water pump be converted to a passenger inlet? Are there any clearence issues with the Mustang serp setup?

Explorer Serp conversion on a 351 - Same question as above? In looking at some pics it appears there would be clearence issues with the passengers side acc. bracket. On the 351 I would also assume the timeing cover would have to be changed out to the explorer cover if possible?

BC Bronco bi-directional water pump is what I have my eye on. Curious if there is any alternative to doing the cross over for the radiator.
Thanks

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
If there is 9 bolts holding the water pump on you can just change them. If there is 7 you will have to change the timing chain cover to the older style to use my pump.

OP
OP
J

jamjet

Loc.
Tucson
Thanks Chuck....I thought the 9 hole was the newer timing cover?
No issues with interference with the Explorer serp or Mustang setup with respect to the Accesory brackets?
Thanks

OP
OP
J

jamjet

Loc.
Tucson
So no passenger inlet water pump when doing an Explorer serp on a 351/302....must do the cross over radiator hose.
Thanks

Broncobowsher

Total hack
So no passenger inlet water pump when doing an Explorer serp on a 351/302....must do the cross over radiator hose.
Thanks

That is correct.

As for swapping between serpentine (reverse rotation serpentine only) and V-belt standard rotation (including the double belt standard rotation serpentine flat belt). There is a minor difference to the shape of the water port on the timing cover. I had one (and tossed it when I moved) that had been run with the wrong waterpump. Standard rotation on a reverse rotation cover. The curve of the waterflow was off by 90° and causing cavitation burn to the water passage, almost eating a hole through the timing cover by the time I tore the engine down. I know it was a low mileage engine too, I could have rebuilt it with standard pistons.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
Thanks

This is becoming increasingly more of a problem. Two choices, A- Do the crossover tube for the inlet. B- Buy a new reverse outlet radiator. Since I need to buy a new radiator anyway, I'm going with B. There are very few choices for reverse outlet radiators, aluminum only with trans cooler. BCB'S has the triple pass copper in reverse outlet, but it doesn't has the trans cooler. Aluminum wouldn't be my first choice, but the cooler for me is a must have, and the reverse outlet is first priority. There just isn't a copper/brass reverse outlet w/transcooler radiator. At least not yet. Chuck are you working on this?

OP
OP
J

jamjet

Loc.
Tucson
Understood...I am doing the same...need to replace the radiator for the Bronco I am doing the EFI swap so I'll keep it stock (drivers inlet) and cross over for the Explorer serp on the other Bronco with the 351

I originally posted this question because I thought I read a thread where someone changed the timing cover on an older 351/302 and used a passenger inlat pump with the explorer serp setup instead of doing the crossover.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
Understood...I am doing the same...need to replace the radiator for the Bronco I am doing the EFI swap so I'll keep it stock (drivers inlet) and cross over for the Explorer serp on the other Bronco with the 351

I originally posted this question because I thought I read a thread where someone changed the timing cover on an older 351/302 and used a passenger inlat pump with the explorer serp setup instead of doing the crossover.

Nothing is that simple, is it? I know that the Explorer has it's own timing cover and water pump. It's specific to itself.

mattt

Bronco Guru
I think the 94/95 Mustang 5.0 timing cover is the same as Explorer....or so I've been told.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
This is becoming increasingly more of a problem. Two choices, A- Do the crossover tube for the inlet. B- Buy a new reverse outlet radiator. Since I need to buy a new radiator anyway, I'm going with B. There are very few choices for reverse outlet radiators, aluminum only with trans cooler. BCB'S has the triple pass copper in reverse outlet, but it doesn't has the trans cooler. Aluminum wouldn't be my first choice, but the cooler for me is a must have, and the reverse outlet is first priority. There just isn't a copper/brass reverse outlet w/transcooler radiator. At least not yet. Chuck are you working on this?

I couldn't find any mention of the triple pass radiator being offered in reversed outlets on BC's website. Got any additional info? Most radiator shops should be able to swap the inlets/outlets on a standard 3 core copper/brass with the trans cooler in it. I've got such a beast here in the garage in great shape that I'd probably be pretty easily convinced to sell.

Todd Z.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
I couldn't find any mention of the triple pass radiator being offered in reversed outlets on BC's website. Got any additional info? Most radiator shops should be able to swap the inlets/outlets on a standard 3 core copper/brass with the trans cooler in it. I've got such a beast here in the garage in great shape that I'd probably be pretty easily convinced to sell.

Todd Z.

Lot's of times Chuck's website gives me troubles. Must be the two different website thing. Here's the link, click on cooling system, (green block on left side) part # 12-11112 5.0 manual trans. Price $446.00. http://www.bcbroncos.com/info.html

I'll PM you about your radiator.

mattt

Bronco Guru
Todd, if garberz passes on the radiator, I'm interested. Granted I have a new radiator in the box from WH, but I like the idea of no cross over tube with the Explorer serp setup.

OP
OP
J

jamjet

Loc.
Tucson
Don't see the mention of reverse outlets either on BC's. Good call Todd... did not think about a radiator shop

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
We do have a reverse outlet triple pass. Because of the dams in the radiator we can be assured that the water will flow through all of the radiator with the outlets reversed and the bottom inlet up high on the drivers side but because of the dams there is no place for a in-tank trans cooler. If you live in most of the country your better off without the intank cooler. I am sure you know that we sell a external cooler. The 5.0 triple pass part number is 12-11112
The site is a little confusing right now because of the two parts. Jason is working on the tabs to the left side of the home page but the link in the center of the home page takes you to the old store where everything is.
Click on the tabs on the left side and the tabs that are done have lots of info about the part and many have installed pictures and buy now buttons and installation instructions hot buttons. Click on the "fuel system EFI" tab to see what I mean. The store is very "dry", and limited and will only take 1 picture per item. As 4x4babygirl says "you shouldn't have to explain how a site works" we agree and hope to have it done soon.