• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Serpentine Conversion help

rojo23

Loc.
Ashland, VA
I am going to make a junk yard run on friday. I called the local pick a part and they said everything I need is there. I just wanted to double check the parts that are needed. Looks like I need the power steering pump/bracket, alternator and bracket, and water pump/timing cover, and fan all with hardware. Is there anything else needed? Thanks for any help

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
be sure to get the plug for the alt and a/c comp if you plan to use it. depending what you have for engine, you can skip the balancer at times.

you might also want to look into what the core charge is on a new alt and ps pump. if you plan to turn those in for fresh units sometimes the core charge is cheaper than buying them at the yard.

don't forget to bring a fan clutch tool so you can get to everything and keep the fan.

OP
OP
R

rojo23

Loc.
Ashland, VA
so if I get the alt, and power steering pump then I could use those for core on new off the shelf (napa store) parts? I just hope he still has everything.

BoureeOne

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Madisonville, La
Be patient, bring something to drink, find a tire or something to stand on so you can get down into the engine compartment. Some of those bolts are a true pain to get to.

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
so if I get the alt, and power steering pump then I could use those for core on new off the shelf (napa store) parts? I just hope he still has everything.

yes you can use those are cores for rebuilt ones. just keep in mind, what the costs are. if the core is say only 10 bucks and they charge you 30 for the part at the yard, just pay the 10 bucks and save money. either way take all the hardware that holds all this stuff on.
don't forget your balancer puller to get it off so you can get to the timing cover.

bring your standard and metrics, couple pairs of latex gloves...it can be a dirty job.

mustangmarty

Bronco Guru
I notice you didn't say anything about "keeping" the Explorer harmonic balancer. You have to pull it off anyway so better keep it too. Then you can just send it to Damper Dudes and have it rebalanced to match your crankshaft if you need too. Grab both entire power steering hoses too; don't just cut them. Fan clutch too, but it will be attached to the fan anyway. Make sure you get the timing pointer too, but it should be attached to the timing cover anyway. A/C compressor and hoses too. You probably won't use those right away, but later on down the road you may decide to add A/C and then you'll be glad you grabbed 'em when you did. Battery powered fan would be nice. And boots and jeans and a long stick to poke around with in case of snakes. =P

OP
OP
R

rojo23

Loc.
Ashland, VA
thanks everyone for the help. I will let everyone know how it turns out. Anything else a 97 explorer can give up?

fungus

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kaneohe Bay, Oahu
Intake & throttle body are great for an efi swap. The small cooler up front makes a great power steering cooler. Early 97 will have GT40 heads (3 vertical bars cast into corners), later 97 will have GT40Ps.