• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Serpentine conversion, reverse rotation water pumps, and stuff like that.

eBronc

Loc.
Austin, Texas
You never realize how many different variations of pullies Ford produced for Windsors until you try getting a '60's era passenger side inlet water pump to work with a '70's era 4-bolt balancer, an '80's era power steering pump, and a (rebuilt, high ouput, one-wire) Ch*vy alternator - all on a 351W going into a '70 EB. ::)

I've got 3 complete sets of crank/water pump pullies (all different diameters/offsets/groove counts) that will not work with each other, even after trying every combination I could think of. I even considered drilling the 4-hole pattern in an old single-groove 3-bolt crank pulley because it's the only one small enough in diameter that it won't hit the water pump pulley. :-[

I've actually started wondering about a 5.0 serpentine conversion. I know the water pumps run in reverse rotation (relative to all other Windsor pumps), but don't they use the same mounting bolt pattern, so they'll bolt up to the timing cover? I'm not worried about where the inlet is anymore, I had the original radiator checked out, and it's history. :( Looks like I'll be ordering a custom aluminum radiator for the 351W, so I can specify the inlet/outlets wherever they need to be.

I've checked the links and the tech articles, but there's (surprisingly) little real info on this. :eek:

Anybody gone through this on thier rig? What'd you end up doing? ???

66horse

Bronco Guru
I cant answer 351 questions in particular but I can answer serp setup questions in general... What do you want to know.

I think 74bronc may have doen some research on this.

Waverous

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Aurora, CO
On my 351W conversion, I originally intended to stay with a carb setup and add a York for on board air. I kept the 302 harmonic balancer, the 302 water pump (exits on the passenger side) and the power steering pump. I found an all aluminum York off an early 80's Wagoneer that had a dual v-belt setup without the heavy clutch. I replaced all the pulleys with double grooves so I could ensure enough pulling power. I duplicated the Duff's conversion for 302 accessories so everything would bolt on. I found that if I intended to keep the york and the v-belt setup i had 2 options:
  • run the york off the power steering pump exclusively - didn't like that idea
  • find or buy a 3 bolt, 3 groove crank pulley. Best option for this was an expensive aluminum one from JBG
Well my smarter half asked "Why are you racking your brain, wasting money on pulley setups that don't really match, when you could slove your problems with the serpentine conversion from Chuck?" I did the conversion and used the Sanden compressor and everything worked great! I would suggest the serpentine setup