• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Explorer serpentine conversion

Contributor
I made a video explaining the explorer serpentine conversion with part numbers in the description as well. I’ve had a few people asking me about it since I did it. Sorry for any rambling or if I missed things! I’m not a pro YouTuber haha! Hopefully it will help some people out when they decide to go this route.

Part #’s I used to do the conversion

Timing cover: Dorman 635106
Timing cover gasket: FelPro TCS45449
Fan blade: Dorman 620152
Fan clutch: US Motor Works 22615
Thermostat housing: Gates CO34902
Water pump: Gates 43068
Thermostat: MotoRad 7244192
Timing pointer: Dorman 962422
Belt tensioner: Gates 38161
Tensioner pulley: Gates 38002
Idler pulley: Gates 38008
Harmonic Balancer: Damper Dudes FO3024EX28OZ (Check your specific engine to make sure you need either the 28oz or 50oz)
Saginaw Power steering bracket: Wild Horses 7129
Power steering pump: Saginaw Steering Pump w/Serpentine Pulley from Wild Horses
Serpentine Belt FOR THE SPECIFIC PUMP AND PULLEY IM USING! WILL NOT FIT WITH STOCK EXPLORER PUMP: Gates K060876
You will need the bolts from the explorer or get new ones at the store. I chose to get new bolts at the hardware store for the most part.
Factory Explorer Passenger side bracket
Alternator: 1996-2001 5.0 Explorer

If you can’t find the passenger side bracket you can use this one from BC:
https://bcbroncos.com/shop/engine/e.../15-00522-16-explorer-alternator-bracket-eab/

The Explorer Serpentine Saginaw conversion bracket I used:
https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/power-steering-pump-bracket-96-01-explorer-5-liter

Saginaw power steering pump with correct pulley (They also offer a dual return version):
https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/power-steering-pump-with-serpentine-pulley

The tech article I referenced:

Last edited:

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Saw it posted on FB and watched it - good job! It's getting harder and harder to find the 5.0 Explorers in the junkyards. I'm sometimes tempted to pull at least the 2 brackets that are not available anymore.

Todd Z.

OP
OP

Contributor
Saw it posted on FB and watched it - good job! It's getting harder and harder to find the 5.0 Explorers in the junkyards. I'm sometimes tempted to pull at least the 2 brackets that are not available anymore.

Todd Z.

Thanks Todd!

I assume you’re talking about the passenger and driver side brackets? Luckily you can buy the driver side Saginaw bracket from either Wild Horses or BC. As for the passenger bracket you can also get an aftermarket one from BC as well. But yes the factory stuff is definitely drying up!

Here is the passenger side bracket for those that haven’t seen it.
https://bcbroncos.com/shop/engine/e.../15-00522-16-explorer-alternator-bracket-eab/

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
is sandmann still pulling explorer front dress stuff from parts yards?

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
I’ve got a simple question (cause I’m a simple man) about the explorer ‘front dress’. Will that front dress fit a ‘91 5.0 Mustang engine with an OEM ‘77 power steering pump? Not sure I would want to go to that much work, but curious nonetheless.

Randy

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I’ve got a simple question (cause I’m a simple man) about the explorer ‘front dress’. Will that front dress fit a ‘91 5.0 Mustang engine with an OEM ‘77 power steering pump? Not sure I would want to go to that much work, but curious nonetheless.

Randy
It'll fit that engine (mine is a '91 5.0 as well) but you won't be able to use an OEM '77 power steering pump.

Todd Z.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
is sandmann still pulling explorer front dress stuff from parts yards?
Based on his thread, no, at least not for now. I think maybe he had some health issues that prevented him from doing it.

Todd Z.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Thanks Todd!

I assume you’re talking about the passenger and driver side brackets? Luckily you can buy the driver side Saginaw bracket from either Wild Horses or BC. As for the passenger bracket you can also get an aftermarket one from BC as well. But yes the factory stuff is definitely drying up!

Here is the passenger side bracket for those that haven’t seen it.
Yeah, those were the brackets I was referring to. The BC piece is nice, but yike$$!

Todd Z.

hsach

Contributor
Members Only
Great video 1969! I am still leaning towards the explorer front dress and visualizing it like this helps a lot. Mine will be on a 351w, I don't have it yet though, still looking. I already have a stainless 23 gal with pump in tank, and plan to go EFI. Definitely appreciate the part numbers and the video gives a good view of how much room is in front of the fan. (y)

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
It'll fit that engine (mine is a '91 5.0 as well) but you won't be able to use an OEM '77 power steering pump.

Todd Z.
Thanks, Todd. What kind/brand would be needed to for a P/S pump, and will my stock steering gearbox still work?
Seems like all I have is questions these days. 😂

Randy

OP
OP

Contributor

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Thanks, Todd. What kind/brand would be needed to for a P/S pump, and will my stock steering gearbox still work?
Seems like all I have is questions these days. 😂

Randy
Yeah, reference the article that @1969 referenced above. In my experience, and a few others on here, the stock Explorer pumps are good up to 35" tires as long as you're not doing hard-core rockcrawling. I've run them with 33" and 35" tires. Another now-popular option is the BroncoGuy/WH/BCB bracket that allows you to run the Saginaw P-pump. Lee Mfg. also sells a kit that uses a Saginaw CBR pump. Your stock gearbox will be fine - no changes there.

Todd Z.

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
Thanks to all of y’all for the info and guidance. Will be making a run to my “junkyard/used parts store”. Got to admit that explorer front dress sure looks a lot cleaner.

Randy

pbwcr

He did not mention the alternator. Isn't the Explorer one required?

OP
OP

Contributor
He did not mention the alternator. Isn't the Explorer one required?

Briefly talked about it in the video. I kept the one from the junkyard that I got, but I’ll eventually run the Powermaster most likely unless there is a better option.

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
Oops, hit post inadvertently before ready to post. 😬
Don’t believe I’ll be going with THIS mod as I just put a new 1-wire alternator and gear reduction starter on when I had the stroker motor done.
Just rats! Was hoping to clean up the engine bay a little more but not gonna spend the $$$. Well, not at this point in time.

Randy