• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Sharp Motorsports 4600 Class Early Bronco

LSharpNM

fetch

Ever since attending my first King of the Hammers in 2016 I have had a hankering to race in the in the 4600 Stock Class during the Every Man Challenge. After the initial enthusiasm and planning out the costs to put together a reasonable race effort, I had resigned myself to racing being too expensive for an average Joe like me, and decided I should be responsible and used my bank account for a down payment on a house since I was a renter at the time.

Fast forward to 2020, I now have a house and a shop built, and after watching the race this year, my desire to race had been rekindled. Ford's $25,000 stock class contingency that they announced right after KOH was over was just the push I needed being a Ford guy (even though I am under no illusions about my chances of finishing at KOH, much less winning ;D).

As you are all aware, the Early Bronco was the best 4x4 Ford ever produced, and so I set out on my search for one that would make a good candidate for a racer. As luck would have it, jim3326 was having a fire sale on his Bronco collection and was local to me ;D He is a super cool guy and made me the package deal of a lifetime on a pretty rough '73 and '75 that he had sitting in a field. Thanks again Jim, I didn't think I would ever get another chance to own an EB when people started wanting crazy prices for them, but now I have two :cool:

Here's a picture of the rigs when I got them home back in March (The camo '73 on the left is the one I will be racing):
fetch

Now, I hate to beg, and I know many on here aren't into social media, but sponsors want social media presence, and I am intending to get me some. So please Like/follow/share the build on Social Media as well!

SharpMotorsports4x4 on Instagram

Sharp Motorsports on Facebook

Sharp Motorsports on Youtube

More updates to follow shortly...

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
There is something undefinable about that. I usually don't enjoy it when it's happening (too focused on what needs done next?), but afterwards I sure do miss it.

OP
OP
LSharpNM

LSharpNM

I am happy to take all the help that may come my way ;D

Here's a run down of the Ultra4 4600 Stock class rules for those who may not be familiar:

Engine
You must use the stock engine block that was available for that make/model/year. No forced induction is permitted unless it was originally equipped. Heads, cams, stroker kits, etc. are all legal though. Propane conversions are legal as well.

Transmission
Basically the same rules as the engine. Must have been available for that make/model/year, but all mods are acceptable.

Transfercase
Any transfercase is legal.​

Axles
Any axles are legal, but they must be the same "style" as what was stock, i.e. solid stays solid, TTB stays TTB, SLA stays SLA.

Suspension
Must remain original "style", i.e. leaves stay leaves, coil and links stay coils and links, and independent stays independent. Maximum 2.5" diameter 14" travel non-bypass shocks, one per wheel unless factory equipped with dual shocks.

Body
Outer fenders may only be cut to provide tire clearance, inner fenders must be unmodified. Rockers can be cut/modified for the sole purpose of adding reinforcement. The body may only otherwise be cut/modified to provide passthroughs for shifting linkage and roll cage tubes. Fiberglass/tube front fenders are legal.​

Tires
35" diameter maximum and must be DOT non-stickies.​

Here is the rule book for anyone that wants to take a deeper dive: Ultra4 Rules

Last edited:
OP
OP
LSharpNM

LSharpNM

The '73 is a 302 3 speed manual with a T-shift Dana 20 and a big-bearing 9". After getting it home I realized that it had an ARB in the front and a Detroit in the rear with Currie axles. It also has a 3" lift and fiberglass fenders. The '75 has a C4 that I will be running in the '73 since the 3 speed manual that came in Early Broncos doesn't lend itself to racing.

For axles, I had three options already on hand:
  1. The Dana 44 and 9" already in the '73
  2. The '79 F250 HP 8 lug Dana 44 and full float Dana 60 in my beater Bronco II crawler
  3. '07 Superduty Dana 60 and Sterling 10.5
The first option obviously is already in the truck and they have lockers, but the track width is too narrow (~58"), the Dana 44 is low pinion (not much droop before driveshaft bind in an EB), they are currently geared to ~3.50:1, and both axles are drum brake as well. The 9" has a really low pinion compared to other axles (2.25" below centerline), and being limited to 35" tires I am worried about driveshaft clearance in the rocks.

The third option I felt was overkill on 35" tires even in a racing environment. They seem like too much of a weight and clearance penalty and would require 17" wheels with the stock brake setups. While plenty of people run 35" tires with 17" wheels, I want to maintain as much sidewall as possible.

I decided to go with the second option since I think the HP Dana 44 front and full float Dana 60 should provide adequate strength for 35" tires without losing too much clearance or adding unnecessary unsprung weight. The HP Dana 44 will get my front driveshaft 3" higher than the current LP Dana 44, and the Dana 60 will get my rear driveshaft 1.125" higher than the 9". These axles are also about 10" wider than the factory Bronco axles, which will help a lot with stability and keeping the body off the rocks. Both axles are welded with 4.10 gears, and the HP Dana 44 has the dual piston disc brakes and flat top knuckles for high-steering. I will need to do something about the welded diff in the front, and plan on running 4340 axle shafts, but I am hoping I can get away with the 4.10 gears for now.

For the engine, I'll be running an Explorer 5.0L (GT40P heads, GT40 EFI intake, and EEC-V (OBDII) distributorless ignition) and just plan to do headers and a cam this season, which should get me up near 300 HP at the crank and be more than most people running in the stock class.

I am planning to rebuild the C4 with a ~500HP kit, run the biggest tranny cooler I can package, and put in a fairly low stall converter (thinking maybe the F41TOW converter from Hughes). I am also toying with the idea of rebuilding with with a low gear kit to drop 1st and 2nd from 2.46 and 1.46 to 2.9 and 1.6 respectively, but I am not sure it is worth the cost for the first season.

I plan to run a Dana 20, but I haven't completely made up my mind yet about whether to run an integrated doubler or a low gear set (from Jack O'brien not the junky Teralow). Regardless, the output shaft will need to be upgraded and I plan on doing a twin stick conversion as well so I can do digs.

I am going to do a 3-link on the front, and the rear must remain leaves. I am planning on using all of the allowed 3" wheelbase deviation to stretch to 95" (1" front, 2" rear notionally). For steering, I am planning on running a small double ended ram as an assist with a 4x4x2 box.

Last edited:
OP
OP
LSharpNM

LSharpNM

After getting the Bronco home, I was excited to get it running to be able to drive it around a bit while I was collecting parts and finishing up my shop. It turns out it really didn't need much.

I rebuilt the carb with a kit I already had in my garage, installed a new fuel pump and battery, soaked the cylinders with a little ATF, and did an oil change and tune-up (plugs, wires, cap, an rotor) and the thing fired right up with some fresh gas.

It smokes a little, but seems to run pretty darn hard for a smog-era 2bbl 302. I think it has a bit of a cam in it since the idles a little lopey and only pulls 13-13.5 inHg (15 inHg is about as much as anything pulls up here at 7,000' though).

fetch

fetch

https://youtu.be/8krMLRXyOr8

OP
OP
LSharpNM

LSharpNM

Heres my old beater Bronco II getting sacrificed for the race effort:

fetch

Front axle out

fetch

Almost fully gutted

fetch

And the race Bronco extracting the carcass since it is a pretty tight squeeze to get my trailer between the lift posts

fetch

I got $72 for the shell at the scrap yard ;D
https://youtu.be/uvQqbxYipRI

subjb1

Following on all 3 platforms. Sounds like a great project. I’d love to do the same if time and funds permitted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
LSharpNM

LSharpNM

Following on all 3 platforms. Sounds like a great project. I’d love to do the same if time and funds permitted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, I really appreciate it! It is a big commitment of time and money for sure, but I am looking forward to the payoff at the end.

BanditBronco

cutting her close in true KOH fashion I see. Looking forward to following along. My 2021 vacation cuts in right before KOH so we weren't planning on going. I could possibly be persuaded, have you talked pit schedule strategy yet? Once you have done the whole racing thing once, you will always want to do it again! Even if you aren't competitive just the nature of racing even for the pit/chase crew is exhilarating. Keep your rig as simple as possible, make sure you can shift that dana 20 smoothly in the rocks, keep the c4 cool and party on!

landshark99

Bronco Guru
Nice, stock class at KOH is something i have been eyeing to race as well.

A couple of ideas/recommendations/suggestions...

I decided to go with the second option since I think the HP Dana 44 front and full float Dana 60 should provide adequate strength for 35" tires without losing too much clearance or adding unnecessary unsprung weight. The HP Dana 44 will get my front driveshaft 3" higher than the current LP Dana 44, and the Dana 60 will get my rear driveshaft 1.125" higher than the 9". These axles are also about 10" wider than the factory Bronco axles, which will help a lot with stability and keeping the body off the rocks. Both axles are welded with 4.10 gears, and the HP Dana 44 has the dual piston disc brakes and flat top knuckles for high-steering. I will need to do something about the welded diff in the front, and plan on running 4340 axle shafts, but I am hoping I can get away with the 4.10 gears for now.

For the engine, I'll be running an Explorer 5.0L (GT40P heads, GT40 EFI intake, and EEC-V (OBDII) distributorless ignition) and just plan to do headers and a cam this season, which should get me up near 300 HP at the crank and be more than most people running in the stock class.

I am planning to rebuild the C4 with a ~500HP kit, run the biggest tranny cooler I can package, and put in a fairly low stall converter (thinking maybe the F41TOW converter from Hughes). I am also toying with the idea of rebuilding with with a low gear kit to drop 1st and 2nd from 2.46 and 1.46 to 2.9 and 1.6 respectively, but I am not sure it is worth the cost for the first season.

I plan to run a Dana 20, but I haven't completely made up my mind yet about whether to run an integrated doubler or a low gear set (from Jack O'brien not the junky Teralow). Regardless, the output shaft will need to be upgraded and I plan on doing a twin stick conversion as well so I can do digs.

I am going to do a 3-link on the front, and the rear must remain leaves. I am planning on using all of the allowed 3" wheelbase deviation to stretch to 95" (1" front, 2" rear notionally). For steering, I am planning on running a small double ended ram as an assist with a 4x4x2 box.

I think you are on the spot with the axle selection (HP D44 and D60) and increasing track width a bit, Although you might lose a little ground clearance with the Dan60, it will be easier to truss and having FF axles stronger for sure. I would suspect you are going to run a 3.5" lift or less to try and keep the COG as low as possible. There might be some clearance issues with the high-steer but obviously you will have to check - assume your going long arm/links with the three link and will stretch the front a few inches so that will help.

I would look at lower gearing - i know its expensive but will solve a few things and save money in the long run, at least for the first race. 4.56 would be minimum i would look at. You will still be able to push it up to speed in the desert, but it will also help your crawl ratio without necessarily having the use the lower Dana20 gearset and would make the transmission happier. I would save the $ on the D20 low gear kit and put that toward axle gearing/lockers personally until you could go atlas... :)

I think the C4 should work great with the upgraded mods that can be done to it, I would look into the HD input shaft as well. We have had great success in our races even at lower speeds using a shrouded Fluidyne cooler with a fan, it was expensive but its built like a tank, moves a massive amount of air and works VERY well. I looked at allot of coolers before pulling the trigger on the Fluidyne, but know packaging and location will be key for your build and there are allot of quality options.

We are running 1800-1900 stall with our custom HD Torque Convertors, works for us but we run high speed mainly, don't know the Hughes stuff as I get ours made locally.

Also for the C4 and Dana20, tap and add 3/8 barbed vent lines to both vents - then run the intermediate vent (which is the transmission vent) to a catch can somewhere above the transmission, maybe behind the driver or passenger. No matter what you do that c4 will barf fluid and needs a place to go. We learned through several races there was no stopping the puking regardless of temps. We are venting the transmission into a 1 quart aluminum catch can that attaches to the bottom of the can - then running a line off the top of the can to the rear and put a breather filter on the hose to allow the trans to breathe. This allows the transmission to barf into the can and then reclaim it when it cools.

Don't bother to use the Lokar transmission dipstick, either use the stock dipstick tube and find a locking dipstick top, or buy one of the aftermarket C4 dipstick tubes and extend it. The Lokar doesn't allow you to fill up the transmission fast enough - its a really big pain and especially a painful issue during a race and even just in the shop.

We are using the Heavy Duty Advanced Adapter housing for the Dana 20 with a 1350 flange (and double cardon 1350 driveshaft), suggest the same if your sticking with the Dana 20 - obviously your upgrading your rear driveshafts to whatever you are going to run so just sharing.

Your engine should be perfect for the stock class, I would consider looking at a HD oil cooler and if you are going to run the stock front clip (which i think you do in this class?) then you will need to relocate it to the rear somewhere which opens up size options. I also would not run anything less than -10an lines to that engine cooler. I just got done upgrading our oil cooling setup on the racer this last week.

Steering box - although the 4x4x2 box is heavier duty than others - i would run a sector shaft double shear - Solo motorsports sells one. (I just installed one on our racer)
Also I would double shear the pitman arm to drag link end.

Anyway, i know allot of this stuff your probably aware of and/or have planned. I am just sharing as I am jealous of the effort and plan. I really want to do the same thing but already have one racer :)

landshark99

Bronco Guru
And i agree, your cutting it close to make it to KOH 2021 :)

Personally - It might be fun to put the safety requirements in place. Service the existing axles and maybe drop in the EFI Explorer stuff and run it.. see how well a stock bronco does :)

OP
OP
LSharpNM

LSharpNM

cutting her close in true KOH fashion I see. Looking forward to following along. My 2021 vacation cuts in right before KOH so we weren't planning on going. I could possibly be persuaded, have you talked pit schedule strategy yet? Once you have done the whole racing thing once, you will always want to do it again! Even if you aren't competitive just the nature of racing even for the pit/chase crew is exhilarating. Keep your rig as simple as possible, make sure you can shift that dana 20 smoothly in the rocks, keep the c4 cool and party on!

Unfortunately life kind of got in the way this year, and I have mostly just been accumulating parts so far. I don't have the time, money, or support to pull off KOH 2021, so I am shooting for KOH 2022, and maybe one of the 2021 Western series races if I manage to to get everything together early enough. I am not going to go through all the trouble and expense to race an untested, last-minute build at KOH just to be taken out in the first 20 miles.

All that said, I am welcoming of any volunteers or pointers for pitting. I have some friends that have expressed interest in being a part of the team, but I am not sure how many of them will actually commit to the time off, travel expenses, and hard work when the time comes.

I hear you on the keeping the rig simple. I have been reading every 4600 build I could find for the last few years, and it seems like it is always the stupid little things that end up taking people out (fuel pumps, fan relays, bolts coming loose, etc.). I know I probably won't be competitive with the established drivers with bigger budgets (at least for my first season ;) ) and I am mostly looking to do the best I can within my means and have a good time. My goal is to finish within time, which in the stock class would mean a podium finish most years.

RH

Your headed for some great fun, like BanditBronco said once you start your addicted. Are you selling T-Shirts? Where are you located?

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
The reason that we have races is so that we will quit improving the race vehicle and put it together enough for it to actually run!

I once worked for a guy who was an excellent planner and we had all of our mods and servicing done well before the races. We didn't work late, we loaded the car for the trek to the tracks on time and on schedule. We rarely had anything go wrong at the track or during the race. Everything was calm, cool, and collected.
Was the most boring racing that I've ever done.

OP
OP
LSharpNM

LSharpNM

Nice, stock class at KOH is something i have been eyeing to race as well.

A couple of ideas/recommendations/suggestions...

I think you are on the spot with the axle selection (HP D44 and D60) and increasing track width a bit, Although you might lose a little ground clearance with the Dan60, it will be easier to truss and having FF axles stronger for sure. I would suspect you are going to run a 3.5" lift or less to try and keep the COG as low as possible. There might be some clearance issues with the high-steer but obviously you will have to check - assume your going long arm/links with the three link and will stretch the front a few inches so that will help.

I am considering trying to get a Dana 60U (E-series rear end) from the junk yard to run instead of my older Dana 60HD since it would only cost me ~$125 and get me disc brakes, slightly bigger axle tubes, 32 spline axles, large bore spindles, and more ground clearance since the Dana 60U has the smooth bottom casting. It should have about the same WMS width, the only problem is I haven't seen one on my last few junkyard trips or I would have snagged one already.

I want to try to keep it in the 3-4" lift range to keep it lowish, but I also want to run 14" travel shocks, so it is going to certainly come down to packaging and be a compromise between wheel travel and ride height. The wheelbase must remain within 3" of stock (95" max for an EB), so I am notionally planning on 1" forward in the front and 2" back in the rear. I'll have to see what everything looks like when I start mocking it up.

I would look at lower gearing - i know its expensive but will solve a few things and save money in the long run, at least for the first race. 4.56 would be minimum i would look at. You will still be able to push it up to speed in the desert, but it will also help your crawl ratio without necessarily having the use the lower Dana20 gearset and would make the transmission happier. I would save the $ on the D20 low gear kit and put that toward axle gearing/lockers personally until you could go atlas... :)

I think the C4 should work great with the upgraded mods that can be done to it, I would look into the HD input shaft as well. We have had great success in our races even at lower speeds using a shrouded Fluidyne cooler with a fan, it was expensive but its built like a tank, moves a massive amount of air and works VERY well. I looked at allot of coolers before pulling the trigger on the Fluidyne, but know packaging and location will be key for your build and there are allot of quality options.

We are running 1800-1900 stall with our custom HD Torque Convertors, works for us but we run high speed mainly, don't know the Hughes stuff as I get ours made locally.

Also for the C4 and Dana20, tap and add 3/8 barbed vent lines to both vents - then run the intermediate vent (which is the transmission vent) to a catch can somewhere above the transmission, maybe behind the driver or passenger. No matter what you do that c4 will barf fluid and needs a place to go. We learned through several races there was no stopping the puking regardless of temps. We are venting the transmission into a 1 quart aluminum catch can that attaches to the bottom of the can - then running a line off the top of the can to the rear and put a breather filter on the hose to allow the trans to breathe. This allows the transmission to barf into the can and then reclaim it when it cools.

Don't bother to use the Lokar transmission dipstick, either use the stock dipstick tube and find a locking dipstick top, or buy one of the aftermarket C4 dipstick tubes and extend it. The Lokar doesn't allow you to fill up the transmission fast enough - its a really big pain and especially a painful issue during a race and even just in the shop.

I will admit, I am an automatic newbie; literally everything else I have ever owned had a manual transmission. I really appreciate you sharing your build and things you've learned; I am sure it'll save me a lot of headache discovering those issues on my own!

Based on my experience in the rocks driving other people's rigs with autos, I think I want close to a 50:1 crawl ratio at a minimum. Now, how I am going to get that gearing is something I have been going back and forth on a lot in my head.

The crawl ratio with a stock C4 and Dana 20 with 4.10s comes out to 24.8: 1. No bueno for sure. Now, even if I geared down to 5.38s (the lowest available for a HP D44), that only puts me at 32.6:1, and the motor will be screaming across the lake beds where most of the stock class guys are hitting over 70MPH (even the Toyotas ;D). Even if I put the 2.9 gear set in the C4 with the 5.38s, I will only have 38.4:1.

I don't think I can get adequate gearing for the rocks without addressing the transfer case; either a lower gear set, or an integrated doubler setup like Northwest Fab sells. If I put in the 3.06:1 Dana 20 gears that Jack O'brien sells, the 2.9 gear set for the C4, AND 5.38s, that will put me at a 47.7:1 crawl ratio which should be decent, and I think his 3.6:1 option would be too much of a gap between high and low range.

On the flip side, I could run the integrated Dana 20 doubler from Northwest Fab and the shorty 27 spline C4 adapter from Advanced Adapters (only 1" change in drivetrain length) along with the stock C4 gear set and 4.10 axles. That would give me a crawl ratio of 67.2:1 in double low. I could run over 40MPH in single low range on easier rock sections and just pop it in double low for the obstacles that warrant it. Additionally, the doubler route would end up being significantly cheaper than re-gearing the transmission, transfer case and axles. My main concern with the doubler option though is that the relatively high axle gear ratios would put added stress on the driveshafts and transfer case, and transmit more torque to the chassis. Additionally, it may make the rig a bit of a dog in high range.

I also considered an Atlas vs. building up a Dana 20, but the biggest thing turning me off aside from the high buy-in is how low you have to clock them in an EB chassis. I think I can clock the Dana 20 up enough to get pretty close to a flat belly and just have a nice, big flat skid.

Like I said, I am still torn on the gearing. I already have the install kits for the Dana 44 and Dana 60, so it would just be a matter of buying the gears at this point.

We are using the Heavy Duty Advanced Adapter housing for the Dana 20 with a 1350 flange (and double cardon 1350 driveshaft), suggest the same if your sticking with the Dana 20 - obviously your upgrading your rear driveshafts to whatever you are going to run so just sharing.

How much suspension travel do you guys have? I think 1350s would be strong enough, but I have been thinking about 1410 driveshafts purely to avoid driveshaft bind at droop.

Your engine should be perfect for the stock class, I would consider looking at a HD oil cooler and if you are going to run the stock front clip (which i think you do in this class?) then you will need to relocate it to the rear somewhere which opens up size options. I also would not run anything less than -10an lines to that engine cooler. I just got done upgrading our oil cooling setup on the racer this last week.

Steering box - although the 4x4x2 box is heavier duty than others - i would run a sector shaft double shear - Solo motorsports sells one. (I just installed one on our racer)
Also I would double shear the pitman arm to drag link end.

Good advice and things I am already considering.

Anyway, i know allot of this stuff your probably aware of and/or have planned. I am just sharing as I am jealous of the effort and plan. I really want to do the same thing but already have one racer :)

Thanks for all the great input, I certainly value input from someone who is out there racing an EB themselves!

BanditBronco

Okay, that makes a ton more sense racing 2022 than 2021 haha. Mark definitely has some good insight. I think Ballistic Fabrication might make a shave kit for that dana 60 that would make it pretty close to the same height as a 9 inch.

Pretty sure that is the hughes converter I ran in my c4, I think that would be plenty sufficient for you.

As far as sponsors/parts go, Hughes might hook you up, they are hit and miss. ADS racing shocks would be a good choice to try. I would definitely plan on finding someone to do some shock tuning. You might try and buy from someone that will tune with you other than direct to King/Fox etc. like accutune, KDM, there are a few others around AZ and CA

OP
OP
LSharpNM

LSharpNM

And i agree, your cutting it close to make it to KOH 2021 :)

Personally - It might be fun to put the safety requirements in place. Service the existing axles and maybe drop in the EFI Explorer stuff and run it.. see how well a stock bronco does :)

I told myself that is what I would do, but then I ended up buying performance parts first instead of the safety equipment :p I guess axle and suspension parts are sexier than safety gear %)

Your headed for some great fun, like BanditBronco said once you start your addicted. Are you selling T-Shirts? Where are you located?

I am located in Tijeras New Mexico (about 20 miles east of Albuquerque on I40).

I have considered selling T-shirts and apparel and could pursue it if folks are interested. I am not sure I have much of an eye for T-shirt/apparel design (I have been told I don't have any fashion sense ;D), but I could certainly get the logo in my first post put on some shirts if people think it is cool enough to wear.

OP
OP
LSharpNM

LSharpNM

Okay, that makes a ton more sense racing 2022 than 2021 haha. Mark definitely has some good insight. I think Ballistic Fabrication might make a shave kit for that dana 60 that would make it pretty close to the same height as a 9 inch.

Pretty sure that is the hughes converter I ran in my c4, I think that would be plenty sufficient for you.

As far as sponsors/parts go, Hughes might hook you up, they are hit and miss. ADS racing shocks would be a good choice to try. I would definitely plan on finding someone to do some shock tuning. You might try and buy from someone that will tune with you other than direct to King/Fox etc. like accutune, KDM, there are a few others around AZ and CA

Glad to get some feedback on the converter and know I am not way off base.
There are some local guys in Albuquerque that do live shock tuning (DAT Suspenson), no idea on how good they are though. I had been planning to buy shocks through Accutune since they do custom valving for free and provide support and live tuning at the lakebed, but may hit up ADS if they might be willing to provide support since I hear they make a good product.

Sorry for making so many separate posts, I am a slow typist and you guys are active today :p