• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

shift linkage binding

RIDER68

Loc.
southwest washington
i have the RAT 3 speed in my bronco and i took all the linkage off my other tranny that went bad i put all the linkages back to how they were and it binds really bad going into first and reverse what is some trouble shooting that i can do to figure out whats wrong?

66Bronco

Make sure that you have aligned the length of the rods properly. If you've done that and it still binds it could be the shift rod bushing, those go into the shifter arms. If those are OK your trans may need a rebuild.

Typically for me properly adjusting the shifter rods does the trick.

-Terry

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yeah, it sounds like your 2/3 rod is not letting the lever go fully into the center position so that the 1/R lever can move smoothly.

Like 66 said, make sure it's all adjusted. If you remove the rods, can you move the two levers on the trans back and forth into the different shift positions easily? If so, you probably just need to adjust them. If not, then it might be something amiss inside the transmission.

There is an aligning hole in the two shift levers/arms (the ones on the steering column) that you put a small drill bit through to hold them in their center position while you adjust and attach the shift rods. But for any of that to work, both shift levers on the tranny should be in their center positions too.

Paul