• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Shifter Dilemma

74 Bronco Billy

Contributor
Just got off the phone with LOKAR, they are 8 WEEKS behind on delivery of Shifters. Ugh, I wanted a floor mounted cable operated shifter from them, but I do not not want to wait 2 whole months.

American Shifter is transmission case mounted, so that doesn't seem to work. I don't' want a short throw shifter, I want a 12-16" high floor mounted with a push button interlock or side detent to enable shifting.

Any other manufacturers of shifters for the C4 that sounds like this?
Or do I need to just bite the bullet and get the Art Car from WH on Fri? Anyone have experience off roading with the Art Car shifter? Specifically going form reverse to 1st to rock out of a tight spot?

Thanks,
Forrest

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
If you intend to wheel where you think you might use the quick shift from 1 to R and back then definitely go with the Art Carr. But to do that quickly you will need a reverse pattern manual valve body in your tranny. If you try this with the Lokar you will likely slam it into Park! I have the reverse pattern manual valve body in my crawler but I'm using a dirt track shifter with custom made gates.

If you don't think you need this then I'd wait for the Lokar. It's a nice shifter for street and mild trails. I have a Lokar in my 78 and it's very nice.