• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Shock mount gap question

joshua

Contributor
Received some new shock mounts from one the bronco vendors today. Went to mock them up and noticed they are about a quarter inch to wide of the frame.

Is there a reason for this? Or is just more after market crap as usual? Don’t get me wrong they look excellent. And I can make them work I’m sure. But maybe there’s a reason for it? I was really contemplating plating each side of the frame from the horn to this point with 1/8 steel. So it would probably actually be an advantage if I go that route.

But I was having second thoughts on that route. Maybe it’s a sign. Anyway if there’s something I’m missing in why this is lmk please. If their just off, I’ll make um work.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_4592.jpeg
    IMG_4592.jpeg
    145.2 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_4594.jpeg
    IMG_4594.jpeg
    91.8 KB · Views: 34

Contributor
Why do you want to plate the frame? And yeah that gap is not good..

OP
OP
joshua

joshua

Contributor
I may have to cut the bottoms of my frame horns off and weld on new ones. I also will be having a a lot of weight hanging off the back bumper.

So I was going to plate it up to the rear cross member tying it into the frame horn's. I’m not sure how hardcore I’m going with this bronco. But I have it torn down to this point, so trying to plan for possible futures.

I’m sure plating it will not help its value. Only hurt it. But that doesn’t matter to me. I’ve had this thing since I was a young man, in my 40s now. Safe to say it’s not going anywhere for a long time. And if I know my life, by the time I’m ready to sell broncos will be worth 10 bucks. Or illegal.

But thanks for the reply! I figured it was just off. But it just got me to think maybe that tab is supposed to be bent over so it could flex a little or something along those lines.

Contributor
I’m sure plating it will not help its value. Only hurt it. But that doesn’t matter to me. I’ve had this thing since I was a young man, in my 40s now. Safe to say it’s not going anywhere for a long time. And if I know my life, by the time I’m ready to sell broncos will be worth 10 bucks. Or illegal.

I say plate it then! I plated the entire outside of my frame.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
With as much grinding as I see on the frame, it is probably stack up adding up to more gap than expected.
The aftermarket bracket is probably slightly oversized and the frame is slightly undersized.
I'm with the bend the tab over and burn it in.

OP
OP
joshua

joshua

Contributor
With as much grinding as I see on the frame, it is probably stack up adding up to more gap than expected.
The aftermarket bracket is probably slightly oversized and the frame is slightly undersized.
I'm with the bend the tab over and burn it in.
I tried it in other places. And another frame. Exactly the same. I’m not really that concerned about it. Just wanted to know if it was designed that way

Last edited: