• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Short shift for the NV3550

KyddsPly

Anyone have a part number or recommendation. I love the trans, but would like to find a short shifter for it. I haven’t had much luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jmangi62

Bronco Guru
I have a NV3550 and I can't remember who had the shorter shifters, maybe JB Fab? Summit, or B&M? Dam just can't remember but I know somebody has one, I would like one too, so my hand doesn't slam into my roll cage when shifting into 1st & 3rd, ouch LOL! ;)

OP
OP
KyddsPly

KyddsPly

Oh yeah. Been there a few times. If I find anything I’ll share it.

AZ73

Bronco Guru
Last edited:

jmangi62

Bronco Guru
Me too bud, I'll keep my eyes and ears open. Jim ;)

Attachments

• IMG_0741.jpg
    IMG_0741.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_0742.jpg
    IMG_0742.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 53

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
We had some guy build one of our Gear Bangers into one. But I don't think we ever got any feedback or pics. Maybe he's not done? Been awhile. Maybe he's here?
Maybe JB should run one up?;)

I "assume" that the B&M shifter for the AX does not fit the NV? https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/BM-Short-Throw-Shifter-For-AX15/AX15
Doesn't look quite the same but I'm pretty sure that both B&M and Hurst (or was it someone else?) made/makes one for the NV. The one from Tom's looks like a nice one. Could even be a B&M based on the color of the base alone.

Good luck. Be sure to post up which way you go. Lots of us would like a slightly shorter throw. And there are some here already using them too if I remember. Maybe they'll check in and report.

Paul

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I used the B&M shifter. It's a pretty good match for the JB twin stick shifter.
It's actually made for a Jeep, so it's too far forward in a Bronco. It doesn't hit the dash, but it's a long reach.
I adjusted mine back by grinding a notch about 3/4 the way through the lever just below the boot. Then, with the shifter installed sit in the seat, and bend the shifter back to a comfortable position. Finally, you have to disassemble the lever from the base, and weld the notch. I had to use a TIC welder because it's stainless.
After polishing it up, you wouldn't know it had been modified.

RADO

Loc.
Phoenix
Did any of you guys go from an NP435 to the NV3550?

I went from a NP435 to AX15 (essentially the same thing install wise)

On my AX15, I use a B&M short shifter. It does a good job with short, tight shifting and keeps my knuckles away from the dash. I bent the shifter in my vice to move it back a bit. I highly recommend using one of these shifters on an NV3550.

SHX669

Bronco Guru
The only one I could find is made by B&M . I bought mine from Summit but I think TBPs has em . Hurst and B&M used to offer 2 different shifter "rods "/configurations / bends but Hurst totally discontinued theirs and B&M only offers the one style now.
Like others I found mine to be too close to the dash for my liking . I called B&M and talked to a tech and he said " just bend it " so I wrapped the shift rod in heavy cardboard {I think - don't exactly remember what I used} put it in a sturdy vice , slipped a piece of pipe over the tapered end and bent it . Basically I increased the amount of factory bend . I wasn't going try to bend the "rod " at a different spot as I was already leery of bending it . I didn't bend it far enough the first time but got it closer on the second try . If I ever remove the shifter from tranny again I'm going to bend it a little more.

jmangi62

Bronco Guru
The only one I could find is made by B&M . I bought mine from Summit but I think TBPs has em . Hurst and B&M used to offer 2 different shifter "rods "/configurations / bends but Hurst totally discontinued theirs and B&M only offers the one style now.
Like others I found mine to be too close to the dash for my liking . I called B&M and talked to a tech and he said " just bend it " so I wrapped the shift rod in heavy cardboard {I think - don't exactly remember what I used} put it in a sturdy vice , slipped a piece of pipe over the tapered end and bent it . Basically I increased the amount of factory bend . I wasn't going try to bend the "rod " at a different spot as I was already leery of bending it . I didn't bend it far enough the first time but got it closer on the second try . If I ever remove the shifter from tranny again I'm going to bend it a little more.

^^^^^ I might try this, holy shit I'm not paying $300 for a new shifter, ridiculous, although Duffs is affordable, I like urs Chris, great work. My shifter is from Toms and it can be shortened, bent, whatever, then I'll weld, grind, clean, paint, you guys know the routine, hey its a bronco right? LOL. Jim Jim ;)

SHX669

Bronco Guru
I didn't mind the shifter my 3550 kit came with , a little long throw but could always tell what gear it was in generally by looking at it.
I replaced my shifter because the composite material the "tower " /"mounting housing" was made of cracked when someone pulled it at the wrecking yard. It wasn't too bad and JB Weld held it for 5-6 years but cracked more beyond JBs capability . The new "tower/mounting housing " from Jeep was more money than the B&M assembly and was still made of composite material and still had the "long throw " - kind of a nobrainer in my book.

Nothing Special

I don't mind the length of the shifter on my NV3550 but didn't like the position, so I bent mine too. I used an oxy-acetylene torch to heat it red hot where I wanted it bent, held it in a vice and hit it a few times with a big hammer. Didn't have to swing very hard. For what it's worth, I put a new bend in it to move it where I wanted rather than changing a stock bend. After it cooled I cleaned it up with steel wool and hit it with some black spray paint.

OP
OP
KyddsPly

KyddsPly

Ouch!!!!!! I hate when I create more work, yet I constantly do
It. : D.
Thanks for the input, keep it coming, but now I have a good starting point n

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
The biggest difference between the OEM NV3550 shifter and the aftermarket B&M is below the shifter's tower.
You can shorten the lever all you want and still won't have a short throw shifter.
It's the lever below the tower that makes the difference.

AZ73

Bronco Guru
The biggest difference between the OEM NV3550 shifter and the aftermarket B&M is below the shifter's tower.
You can shorten the lever all you want and still won't have a short throw shifter.
It's the lever below the tower that makes the difference.

^^^^^^ What he said. A "short shift" shifter increases the distance from the pivot point to the trans. It's not the length or angle of the shifter above the pivot point. Increasing the distance from the pivot point to the trans means shifting gears happens with less distance at the knob. A short shift shifter with a bend back towards the driver would be a nice set-up for the NV3500