• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

short shift np435

bludorbronc

i traded 435,s in my truck, the one i just installed has very short thro for the shifter. the one that was in it would almost hit the passenger seat when shifted into reverse, the new one does not even come close. when i put the long thro shifter in the shorter thro 4 speed it doesnot reach in for enough to shift it. does enybody know anything about what i have.

Buldozer

Bronco Virtuoso
Loc.
God's Country
I know this is too simple an answer to be of much use, but keep in mind that most folks have to bend the shifters on the 435s to suit the particular installation.....so that it will fully engage in 1st gear without hitting the dash and fully engage in reverse without hitting the seat or console. If they don't fully engage in either gear, that gear gets stripped out usually with half or less of the teeth getting stripped off of the gear. Just my $.02. Good luck.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
If I remember right, there are 2 different shift towers. By changing the height of the pivot ball it changes the throw of the shifter. Then change the length of the handle and stuff changes even more. A while back (couple of years?) I remember seeing a picture that had 2 different 435 shift covers.

It would make sense if the taller cover (short throw) was used on applications that had a very long shift handle. Long handle makes for long throw, counter with a faster ratio ball, normal throws for stuff like school busses.

Back when I had the 435 I cut the shifter just above the ball. Took out the first bend and about 8" of steel. Welded it back together. It was a great shifter. Shortish throws, cleared my leg and the stock T-handle transfer case shifter. Easy to reach al the gears. Only thing, the spring for the reverse was a little tough. Kinda had to toss it into the reverse gate instead of just a push. Needed a little lighter spring.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I believe a lot of dodge 435's had tall shift towers. I got one once but I think the the shift levers inside wouldnt work in a ford NP435. Anyhow as was said the shifter has to be bent to clear things like the dash or passenger seat as well as keeping it colser for the driver to reach.