• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Shorty or long tube headers?

6bronco6

Thinking of getting a set of headers. Im running an 87 302 with C4 Tranny. Should i get shorty or long tubes? Im from MASS. are long tubes even street legal? Would you recomend puting them on while motor is in? Any help, suggestions, advice would be great.

mustangmarty

Bronco Guru
Slightly more torque from long tubes, but not worth the PINA factor in my mind. Shortys however still flow far better than stock exhaust manifolds...

OP
OP

6bronco6

Will i be able to install them while motor is still in truck? Is it a pain in the A!@?

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
;D ;D ;D Long tub and the size is how you can tune your torque the smaller the tub the more torque. The larger tub is HP hope this helps. Yoy also want all the tubs the same length they work much better the other's arnt much better than stock.%) %) %) Bill :cool: %) :p

red67

Loc.
Austin Texas
6bronco6 said:
Will i be able to install them while motor is still in truck? Is it a pain in the A!@?

I put the Duff long tubes in on my EB w/ a 351 and the passenger side went really smooth, but the driverside was a bitch because of the clutch linkage. I had to disassemble some of the clutch linkage to get them in. I am ASSuming the PIA factor is less on a 302 because it is narrower?:? .

OP
OP

6bronco6

Sounds like many of you guys are running the duff long tube headers. How are they with sealing? any leaks? anyone have a link to the headers?

72bronco

Bronco Guru
Long tubes are a PITA to install but you only need to do it once. You'll have to install from underneath. Mine went in easier by jacking up the frame to create more space. Also the passenger side was much more difficult and I had to bend the tranny dipstick tube and tranny lines out of the way to fit. It was a long afternoon of frustration but I've been running my long tubes now for over four years with no problems and am happy with them.

The only problem I ever ran into was the time I had to replace my starter. Long tube headers obstruct access to the starter bolts and I had to unbolt the header from the manifold first so I could move the header out of the way. Again a PITA, but not really all that bad compared to some things I've done. Hopefully I won't need to replace my starter again for many more years.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Long tube

Duff long tubes do not require removal or moving at all for starter replacement/repair. Long tube equal length headers will give higher torque numbers in a certain rpm range whereas unequal length headers will give a broader rpm range for the torque band.

I've run them on 302's and currently on a 351W. Install demands that you follow the installation instructions to the letter because if you don't, the clutch and brake distribution block will be a hassle for ya.

Spend the $$$ now and buy dead soft gaskets for both ends of the header and go with Stage 8 fasteners and NEVER retighten the PITA bolts again.

BoltBuster

Bronco Guru
I had heard or was told if you have a Auto trans no problem, SOB if you have a stick!

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
my doug thorleys were a PITA all around. had to force the passenger side one past the bell housing and body and the drivers side i had to remove the clutch linkage, drive shaft, and pinion yoke and it still hit the pinion.

go with james duff. he had them made specifically for the early bronco.

2badrotties

Just a Bronco guy !
Loc.
Niskayuna N.Y.
I just put some Duff headers on my bronco in 15 minutes. I didn't have a problem at all with auto trans. They are very nice quality with a pretty good flange. Every bolt went right in , no dinging any of the tubes for clearence, PERFECT ! Didn't even have to jack the truck up at all. Just climbed underneath and slid them right into place. :)

j.r.nice

Bronco Guru
GO DUFF!! relatively easy to install and lasted a long time (8 years or so) Still in decent shape when I sold them.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Headers

When Duff's went from 5/16" to the 3/8" flange, I was the "lucky" first buyer of the newer thicker flange. The newer flange didn't allow allen head bolts to slide thru 3 of the mounting holes-at all. Several others you couldn't get any wrench on them. Course I'd had mine drop shipped for ceramic coating so they wouldn't take it back...long story-definitely NOT go Duff's!

I've bought parts from Jim since he was located in CA so it wasn't like I was a "first time" customer.