• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

should I lift or leave stock

mdukti

I was hoping to solicit some advice and maybe see some pictures to help me make my decision. I want to refresh the worn out suspension in my bronco with new components. Currently, it is not lifted at all and I like it that way; however, I am contemplating a slight lift (maybe 2.5”). I don’t plan on doing any substantial off-roading, but I probably will take it on the trail a time or two. Still, most of the driving will be on the road.

Here are two options I am considering. Wild Horses 4x4 has a stock suspension kit which includes new leaf springs, coil springs, u-bolts, shocks, and bushing kit for about 800 bucks shipped to my door. Jeff’s Bronco Graveyard has 2.5” deavers superflex leaf springs, 2.5” superflex coil springs, u-bolts, and a 14 piece bushing kit. I read some good things about bilstein shocks and was thinking of using those and ordering online. I would only have to pay the shipping on the shocks and I am thinking that the total would be just over $1000. That setup may be overkill, but if I am going to spend that much money, the extra is not a deal breaker.

Again, I like the stock appearance, but would not mind a slight lift. The tires I have are 235/75R15 and I don’t want to lift too much or I think the tires will look small. Whatever I do, it will probably stay that way for awhile so I want to make the right choice. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Also, if anyone else has any other ideas I am open to suggestions.

Attachments

• bronco 1809sm.jpg
    bronco 1809sm.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 891

siderbox

Bronco Guru
You have tons of options.
Sounds like you have it narrowed down nicely.

Either kit will do a great job imo. More importantly is stock or 2.5 lift.
Is this going to be for street only? Any off roading? How much off roading? What kind?

I'd say if it's going to be mainly a streeter then the superflex might be a bit spongy.

btw
That is one nice looking rig you have!

badmuttstang

redneck grease monkey
A 2.5" lift would probably make that size tire look a little small. Is the suspension worn out if not a 1" body lift would be the way I went just my 2 cents. By the way rig looks great the way it is.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
2.5" lift w/slightly bigger tires.. SWEEET Ride..!

OP
OP
M

mdukti

Thanks for the complements and the comments. Spongy on the road is not what I am looking for. I am hoping to smooth the ride out on the road (right now the ride is a bit jarring) and perhaps enhance the offroad prowess.

landshark99

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Montrose, Colorado
I would do the 2.5" lift and the bilstein's, less to change than a higher lift but gives it a slightly higher stance which looks great. I think the tires might look a tad small but you could always change them down the road if you dont like the looks..

incidentally iam in the middle of the same suspension changes as you. Keeping mine uncut with a slight 2.5" lift but doing a 1" body lift as well. Love the street-ability and the option of doing light trails/forest roads while remaining close to stock. As far as parts and kits, i choose to piece mine together. Deaver 2.5 coils from JBG, Bilstein shocks all around, rear Toms bronco parts 2.5" leaf springs (Black friday sale), full bushing replacement etc etc...

OP
OP
M

mdukti

landshark,

Sounds like we are thinking along the same lines. I don't mind doing a little shopping around and piecing together to get the right stuff. I have been picking a lot up from JBG because there prices are reasonable and they are within driving distance so I have picked up my stuff locally (don't have to wait for it to come in the mail too which is also nice).

TC,

I like LUBRs too, and stock broncos, and most of the other trucks I see on here as well.

bmbm

lift

Check out BC Broncos. They have nine leaf rear springs that are not spongy from what I have heard.

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
Nothing wrong with an unlifted Bronco. New springs and good shocks would be my choice. And yes, I have had more than one of both so I'm not biased.

TN1776

Bronco Guru
The WH springs ride nice and you can fine tune your handling with shocks. I have no personal experience with Deaver springs but from what I've been told they're also pretty nice.

Personally I really like the looks of your rig at stock height so that's my vote... though lifted uncut is also cool.

g8rb8t

Bronco Guru
Here's pics of my old '76 with a 2.5" lift and 9.5x30" tires. I really liked the look, but enjoying a stock height Bronco now

Attachments

• DSCN4268.jpg
    DSCN4268.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 245
  • DSCN4206.jpg
    DSCN4206.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 214
OP
OP
M

mdukti

Thanks for all the input and the pics. I have a feeling that in the end it will not make my decision any easier.

Ranchtruck

attachment.php

PIC00007.JPG

2.5" lift, no body lift, 235/85r16 tires.

Mountain Ram

Contributor
Recovering Masshole
Loc.
Abingdon, VA
Here's pics of my old '76 with a 2.5" lift and 9.5x30" tires. I really liked the look, but enjoying a stock height Bronco now
attachment.php

My 2 cents... this is how the Bronco shold have come from the factory... I love the uncut slightly lifted, narrow tire look. Even though mine is nothing like that.

Nice looking EB!

Good luck with the mods.

TD

oldskool

Loc.
Denver
Nice looking Bronco, leave it stock. There is not many Broncos out there that look that good. Once you cut it and start adding bigger tires and wheels. Then its bumbers, winch and roll gage and it will never end.

OP
OP
M

mdukti

Thanks for the additional pics and input. I like the stock look. Part of the issue that I am running into is there are less options component-wise for stock components (maybe I am wrong, but that is the impession that I am getting). For example, the deaver springs look like they come with a minimum 2.5" lift. So if I wanted to use those I would have to lift it atleast 2.5.

I guess my issue is that I want to keep it close to the way it looks now while upgrading the old suspension with the best new components (within reason) that I can get for the money.

OP
OP
M

mdukti

Just to elaborate on what I just said. I do not plan on doing any rock climbing or extreme off-roading. I want a smooth ride on the road and the ability to be comfortable taking it out on a trail ride.

Thanks

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
Man that looks great the way it is! Super sweet look! But if you wanna have it tad higher, 2.5" SL w/ 1" BL and slap some 33s on those factory rims.