• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Should I or shouldn't I?

Trappey74

Loc.
Cleveland
Should I take the top off my 74? i want to just for the summer but am afraid when I put it back on that it will squeak or leak. The top has no squeaks or leaks right now and it is garage kept.

Revelation

Bronco Guru
Just get new seals when you put it back on and be sure all the bolts are back in tight and you will have no issues. A topless Bronco is a grand experience.

No Hay

Bronco Guru
Yep. Driving one w/o the top is worth every rattle and leak! Those are temporary.

SHX669

Bronco Guru
We used to take the top off of the teenage Sons '76 at least 2-3 times a summer {occasionally rains here in the summer - for days !}
The only down side is if you drive on too many bumpy roads/trails it's a little hard on the windshield hinge and the swing away spare tire mount - and hopefully you have a rollbar/cage.
It looks like you have a nice rig so When you put the top back on be careful with the rear "stakes " definitely get help to guide them into the "pockets " . Also leave all the bolts loose and align/angle the windshield with the door vent window frame first before tightening the bolts.
Not trying to discourage you just a few things to take into account ; it's definitely not as bad as it sounds and yes do take the top off you'll love it. You might even decide to remove the doors . If you do want to take em off try to drive the hinge pins out ; don't mess with the hinge screws - trying to align the doors again is a PIA .
SHX

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I took mine off two summers ago and hasn't been back on since.

Go for it!

tommyg

Contributor
I bought mine 2 years ago. Came with a hard top, but it wasn't on the truck (bought it from my neighbor, so I just carried the hard top to my house). Haven't been able to bring myself to put the top on yet.

OP
OP
T

Trappey74

Loc.
Cleveland
What all do I need to do process wise to taking it off? Any certain thing need to be done before another?

muskrat

Bronco Guru
Just be careful when you pull the back end out. There are those brackets that go inside of the rear quarters. They will scratch the hell out of your paint if you don't be carefull.

Three guys are better than two when pulling the top, or four ratchet straps attached to the ceiling of your garage makes it a one man job. Ratchet each corner a little at a time.

Top off is a great driving experience. You'll love it.

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru
There are some posts if you do a search. one tip is don't lift from the lift gate. The top could spread and unlatch. No Bueno !

KyddsPly

Yes, for the love of everything bronco, YES

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Show Links

Loc.
Bakersfield
I have not run with my top off, but I can add, while installing newly painted top, we cracked the paint at the seams just below the drip well. If I were to do it again, I would be more careful to not stress that joint so much or better said, I would make sure my gorilla sons would be more careful.

Just something to consider.

Bradsp8

Take it off. It's a bit of work with the numerous bolts and you need to figure out how/where you're going to store it but take your time and you can get it back on w/o leaks or other issues just fine. NOTE: you need to cut the weatherstripping in the corner of the upper door so when the top is off you still have weather stripping running between the door and sides of windshield. I take mine off every April and it goes back on every October. I use 4 ratchet straps and 2 2x4's and lift it off and hang it in the garage.

Revelation

Bronco Guru
And remember that you may need to cut the gasket where the top meets the windshield frame.
And for Christ's sake post the topless pics!