• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Should I under coat body?

Starman

Loc.
Central Wisconsin
I bought a 67 Bronco that has had all sheet metal fixed. The PO did a body off restoration and painted every thing purple. The paint was done around 2001 and is still perfect. It has never been driven in the rain or on wet roads yet. The under side looks like the out side of the vehicle. The frame and body seams where done with POR15. Should I coat the under side before driving it every day during the summer in Wisconsin? If I would coat it what should I use and what prep needs to be done? Thanks for any advice.
-Starman

OP
OP
S

Starman

Loc.
Central Wisconsin
The PO did mine back in 1973, No idea what he used...However to this day I am grateful for it. Have never had any rust issues.

I feel it would help keep the rust from starting. But, some people mentioned rust forming under the layer of under coat from water getting trapped. Thanks for the reply.

Felipe

Loc.
Concord, NC
I would think you would be fine since you have a painted surface under the undercoating, i would think it would be easy to touch up and offer better protection. Rust sucks.

TN1776

Bronco Guru
I used a 3M product called "Body Schutz". It's sort of rubbery/asphaltic and I really like it. A previous owner had applied something very similar a long time ago. I had to do some floor repairs and wanted the repair to be as hidden as possible, simply because I am "type a". I like that it has a little "give" to it, such that when gravel gets kicked up at it from the tires, it doesn't chip like paint does. I did the inside of the wheel tubs in addition to the underside of the floor that someone else did, I think it looks good and the protection seems good too.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Under side of mine got sprayed with Ziebarts....I think that's the name.
Any way mine was a city vehicle from 73 to 82. They sprayed or had the Ziebart sprayed on in the 70's.
It worked excellently in many areas, even now it is still working, but it didn't help the driver and passenger floor boards, as they bit the dust years ago.
This kind of product "can' trap moisture and I do not think I would use it today.....but it was probably the best available back in the 70's...

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have used LineX for a few vehicles with excellent results. They have a very good Epoxy primer that is put down first.

No matter what you use, it is only as good as the prep work.

OP
OP
S

Starman

Loc.
Central Wisconsin
I have used LineX for a few vehicles with excellent results. They have a very good Epoxy primer that is put down first.

No matter what you use, it is only as good as the prep work.

I saw good reviews on the 3M undercoating.

Of course lineX is very good. I would like to do it myself.

On a side note. How do I spray the undercoating? I was planning to remove the gas tanks and exhaust so I could get to the body. Should I remove the external gas pumps mounted on the frame or gas sending unit plug? I'm so confused. Does the spray just go on everything in sight under the Bronco? What about the gas filling pipes exposed on the drivers side wheel well? Everything is so clean and easy to work on. Does it make it hard to work on and get wrenches on the bolt heads?

I like knowing what to do before I do it. If this has been talked about before maybe someone could post a link. A tech article about this would be awesome.

-Starman

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
It sounds like you have a nice clean underside. If it was me, I would only undercoat the sheet metal portions of the tub and inside the fender wells. I would mask off what I could including bolt heads, hoses, pipes etc.. Undercoating can make a big mess if just sprayed on everything. The frame and suspension components can get a coat of semigloss black Rustoleum to cover the purple.

OP
OP
S

Starman

Loc.
Central Wisconsin
It sounds like you have a nice clean underside. If it was me, I would only undercoat the sheet metal portions of the tub and inside the fender wells. I would mask off what I could including bolt heads, hoses, pipes etc.. Undercoating can make a big mess if just sprayed on everything. The frame and suspension components can get a coat of semigloss black Rustoleum to cover the purple.

Thanks Slowleak. You cleared up some of the confusion I have. I will start doing portions of the underside carefully. Maybe using different coatings for different parts. I never thought of taping off areas or bolts. I could do that to make a clean undercoating.
-Starman

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
Good luck. Make sure to peel the masking off before the undercoat dries so you get a clean edge. Shoot us some pics when you are done.....

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have only undercoated the truck with the body completely off. It would be a lot of work, and look good, to undercoat without taking the body off.

edmedlin

Loc.
Republic Missouri
I bought mine last fall in Texas. '75, all original steel and no rust anywhere. There has never been any undercoating put on it. There has never been any body repairs either. The paint is faded badly, and I am having a repaint done right now. I am wondering about doing undercoating since I am in Missouri where they use a lot of chemicals on the highways. They don't go away just because the snow does. My problem is that I don't want folks to think I am hiding something that we didn't do. Except for the body being cut, nothing else has ever been done. I also don't want a body that has withstood 40yrs without rusting and see a few years of chemicals here and start rusting away.

elan

Loc.
s
I use Weatherproof from Kano Labs. Under the vehicle it never wears out. It is clear and almost a bees wax feel. This way you can see if any rust is starting to happen.
I don't use it in the direct sun. I buy the spray cans. Two per car if you do two three coats.

tilac999

Loc.
Boston
I like Fluidfilm but it has to be applied every year. I would love to try Weatherpruf, Cosmoline or Waxoil for longer lasting protection.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
those last two sound very interesting. Was thinking of some kind of easy to apply clear that would leave the basic color showing.

Around here, with lots of heat, a LOT less chemical or rust-inducing road chemicals, and lots of roads to drive on, I like Lizardskin products.
First layer would be the sound deadener, then the heat block coating over that. With both of those in place, even a Bronco with no insulation or carpet is much quieter. Add some insulation and especially carpet over the top, and your ride is pretty quiet and no more hot feet.

Paul