• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Shout out to West Texas Offroad

EBGeek

Just wanted to give West Texas Offroad a quick accolade for the quick turnaround on my steering box and job (seemingly) well done. I didn't do any mods to it, as mine is a daily driver. But my old factory box sprung a leak around the input shaft after a while and even after replacing both dust/oil seals, it continued to leak.

Packaged the nasty behemoth in a Home Depot 5gal bucket (cut a hole for the input shaft so I could put the lid on it) and used about a half a roll of duct tape. Got her there from Georgia for about $70 and once it hit their dock, they had it back on the truck the next day.

I'd put this off for too long, as I already had slop in my gearbox and knew I had to do it. But now that its finally done, I'm super glad and it steers so much better now.

Just figured I'd share my experience with everyone...

LUBr LuvR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
They did a great job rebuilding my ps box last year. It was $160 for the rebuild and $150 to upgrade to 4 turn. It was out, rebuilt and back in one week. Can't say enough good about them. Definitely recommend considering them if you need a box rebuilt.

KBUCK1

I have read somewhere on here that it will fit in a flat rate shipping box from usps. Not sure which box though.

canzelc

You need to pack it right but you can squeeze it into a medium box.

dave67fd

Bronco Guru
When I sent mine, UPS lost it in transit. WTO realized that and put me on the top of the list as soon as they received it and got it back out ASAP.

OP
OP
EBGeek

EBGeek

I suppose it would fit in a box, but I read that if box shows any sign of fluid leaking, UPS will not deliver and I understand that's how alot of them go missing, since its very difficult to remove all fluid from the box before shipping. The 5 gal bucket contains all the fluid and there's no chance of it falling apart during shipping, like there would be with a cardboard box.

Mine shipped was 40lbs, so it would be next to impossible to put enough padding inside a cardboard box to keep it from self destructing in the sorting process of the carrier. The bucket was @ $3 at Home Depot...I'd play it safe and not risk losing an almost irreplaceable box...

gick70

Double garbage bag,medium flat rate box=25.00 dollars shipped from Pennsylvania to Texas!!

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
I suppose it would fit in a box, but I read that if box shows any sign of fluid leaking, UPS will not deliver and I understand that's how alot of them go missing, since its very difficult to remove all fluid from the box before shipping. The 5 gal bucket contains all the fluid and there's no chance of it falling apart during shipping, like there would be with a cardboard box.

Mine shipped was 40lbs, so it would be next to impossible to put enough padding inside a cardboard box to keep it from self destructing in the sorting process of the carrier. The bucket was @ $3 at Home Depot...I'd play it safe and not risk losing an almost irreplaceable box...

You spent $75 to ship a steering box. I've shipped out or had shipped to me more than 50 steering boxes in the last 10 years. A vast majority of those were shipped in large flat rate priority mail boxes. Less than $20 to their destination. Packed correctly and taped well, they arrive without issue.

OP
OP
EBGeek

EBGeek

thegreatjustino - I stand corrected. It apparently is quite possible to ship a steering box inside a flat rate box. Everyone, please disregard my (and WTO's) suggestion above and ship however you'd like...

And for the record - I had no issue with paying $70 to ship my box...

gick70

I"m just cheap,after spending like you do on these Broncos I like to save some too! 70.00 to ship then another 70.00 to ship back to you! 140.00 for shipping,nah!!!

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
I have shipped two of them in a bucket, except I put about 20 screws in the lid;D

5001craig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You spent $75 to ship a steering box. I've shipped out or had shipped to me more than 50 steering boxes in the last 10 years. A vast majority of those were shipped in large flat rate priority mail boxes. Less than $20 to their destination. Packed correctly and taped well, they arrive without issue.
The one I got from you had a shaft sticking out of the box.

I've only shipped one of these to be rebuilt and it cost something like $75 not including the packing materials. But I can honestly say that mine arrived still in the box. It costs a lot to ship (and pack) something correctly. I should've taken pics of my packing job.