• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

SHOW ME YOUR 3" DUAL EXHAUST!

Outlaw1

Contributor
Not-A-Newbie
I know there's lots of higher horsepower builds out there. What headers, mufflers & routing are you using? Out the side or out the back? Dual 3" only, please. Pics!

Last edited:

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
No pictures of the complete install. JBA shorty headers, 2.5” into a single magnaflow with 3” out dumped just behind passenger rear tire.

Attachments

• 8B4F8D93-A777-4274-9613-0F9E82C1A5A6.jpeg
    8B4F8D93-A777-4274-9613-0F9E82C1A5A6.jpeg
    145.3 KB · Views: 64
  • FFE6D282-7AF2-4BE1-8EAF-01B55533CFD2.jpeg
    FFE6D282-7AF2-4BE1-8EAF-01B55533CFD2.jpeg
    207.9 KB · Views: 62
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 62

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
EFI, Carb? Size.
Heads?
not much room under for 3" route. I did 2.5" down from 3" collectors. FC3 Sanderson headers.

cldonley

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Robinson, TX
I have the same set up as phred, with long tube headers. Don't have a tailpipe yet, but planning on going out just forward of the passenger side rear tire.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
You’ll find 2–1/2 pre Y pipe or pre muffler is more than enough and 100x easier to fit. I’ve built a lot of exhaust, 3” is a bear compared to 2-1/2 and the engine requirements are well met, unless your exceeding 6500rpm.

OP
OP
Outlaw1

Outlaw1

Contributor
Not-A-Newbie
You’ll find 2–1/2 pre Y pipe or pre muffler is more than enough and 100x easier to fit. I’ve built a lot of exhaust, 3” is a bear compared to 2-1/2 and the engine requirements are well met, unless your exceeding 6500rpm.
Post some pictures of the dual 3" setup!

Last edited:

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Post some pictures of the dual 3" setup!
Would if I had some….. sorry.

Everything I’ve ever done 3” duals was a 500+ CI big block. Even the 400ish CI Ultra 4 cars have had 2-1/2”, but they redlined at 6200ish. 2-1/2 was what our engine builder/tuner/dyno guy wanted, we were only pushing 570ish at the crank, but it would do it all day running 5000-5500 and be happy.

Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I’m sure there are still a few, a very few perhaps, running dual 3 inch exhaust setups under Broncos. So it might take a little longer to get pictures, but I’m sure they’re out there.
But anymore, not many! There just isn’t enough real estate to make it easy to route such a big tube on both sides.
And 99% of Broncos don’t need dual 3 inch setups in the first place. A single 2 1/2 will support approximately 400 hp. A single 3 inch probably over 500. With good mufflers and routing of course.
With those, are you leaving a little on the table with those sizes? Sure, maybe even more than you would like. But whether it matters or not, depends on how much power you’re making.
A single is much easier to plumb under the vehicle than duals. Even both routed over to the passenger side are easier than trying to run a 3 inch tube on the driver’s side.
So if you’re going to stick with true duals, I would plan to use dual 2.5’s and run them both on the passenger side. Unless you are over 500, and like to run at higher RPM?
Unless too, that just goes against your desires.

So what kind of power is your engine putting out? And at what peak RPM?
Where do you want the sweet spot while driving?

frdboy

Contributor
I'll post pictures once I get it finished, still waiting on parts so it may be a bit. Running 1.75" headers and planning on 3" outside the frame tucked up above my slider supports, undecided on mufflers.

Here is a picture of the headers, a friend built them for me as I couldn't find any shelf options for my heads.

Attachments

• Messenger_creation_5bb4b7f1-557c-4344-a314-f63becaac42d.jpeg
    Messenger_creation_5bb4b7f1-557c-4344-a314-f63becaac42d.jpeg
    162.9 KB · Views: 44
  • Messenger_creation_c2f7b12c-b3ad-4d7a-930c-9f14273221b7.jpeg
    Messenger_creation_c2f7b12c-b3ad-4d7a-930c-9f14273221b7.jpeg
    176 KB · Views: 43
OP
OP
Outlaw1

Outlaw1

Contributor
Not-A-Newbie
I'll post pictures once I get it finished, still waiting on parts so it may be a bit. Running 1.75" headers and planning on 3" outside the frame tucked up above my slider supports, undecided on mufflers.

Here is a picture of the headers, a friend built them for me as I couldn't find any shelf options for my heads.
They look killer. You're going to make me build a set of fenderwell headers too!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Well, there you go! The answer to lack of real estate in a bronco was always answered by fender-well exit! :)

OP
OP
Outlaw1

Outlaw1

Contributor
Not-A-Newbie
Would if I had some….. sorry.

Everything I’ve ever done 3” duals was a 500+ CI big block. Even the 400ish CI Ultra 4 cars have had 2-1/2”, but they redlined at 6200ish. 2-1/2 was what our engine builder/tuner/dyno guy wanted, we were only pushing 570ish at the crank, but it would do it all day running 5000-5500 and be happy.
Sounds pretty cool. How did you get 3" around the Dana 20 on the driver's side?

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
I just dyno'd over 600 hp and 660tq after pulling timing and a few hundred rpm.

Definitely curious. Mind answering a few questions so we can know a bit more about use/needs? thanks

Outlaw1, what are your numbers? Why do you need dual 3"?

1st is rpm, what is redline?

2nd is head size

3rd is what size hp nitrous shot

4th is have you run it yet? That D20 doesn't stand a chance if you actually put some shock & load to it. Just won't.

5th is how is your 4r built

6th is check out how many cars running sub 9 sec qtr mile ET's have 2.5" exhaust with mufflers. Answer is: a lot. :)

Everything Yeller said also

Last edited:
OP
OP
Outlaw1

Outlaw1

Contributor
Not-A-Newbie
Well, there you go! The answer to lack of real estate in a bronco was always answered by fender-well exit! :)
There are lots of options when building an exhaust system. A common option is a transition from round to oval in tight spaces. Other than the one tight spot between the frame and the transfercase on the driver's side, there's a lot of room to route dual exhaust.
I just dyno'd over 600 hp and 660tq.

Outlaw1, what are your numbers? Why do you need dual 3"?

Definitely curious. Could you answer these questions?

1st is rpm, what is redline?

2nd is head size

3rd is what size hp nitrous shot

4th is have you run it yet? That D20 doesn't stand a chance if you actually put some shock & load to it. Just won't.

5th is how is your 4r built

6th is check out how many cars running sub 9 sec qtr mile ET's have 2.5" exhaust with mufflers. Answer is: a lot. :)

Everything Yeller said also
Congratulations on your very impressive dyno! You must be so proud.

Well, I want to run 3" exhaust and I asked who else had run 3" exhaust. If you haven't done it, I'm ok with that. Why would you feel the need to question me?

#1 - "Redline" is a term old people use to describe the maximum rpm you plan to spin your engine. It makes it sound important.

#2 - Yes, or big, whichever you prefer.

#3 - Depends on what jetting you choose.

#4 - I drive it every weekend I'm home and on long trips whenever possible.

#5 - It's a stage eleventeen build.

#6 - I guess that's why my race car has 5".

I'm happy you and the other guy agree on things that don't pertain to my thread.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You did say 3 inch pics only in your first post. And while it might’ve been implied, it wasn’t stated flat out that you didn’t want us to try to talk you out of it.
We’re interested in your build, which is why we were trying to learn more about it and maybe pass on information that we’ve gleaned and learned over the years. Hopefully to help you avoid issues that other newbies have run into.
Doesn’t sound like you’re a newbie to modification, and possibly have more skills than most when it comes to custom making your own exhaust.
But we don’t know you, do we? So this is often how we get that process started.
Or not…

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
There are lots of options when building an exhaust system. A common option is a transition from round to oval in tight spaces. Other than the one tight spot between the frame and the transfercase on the driver's side, there's a lot of room to route dual exhaust.

Congratulations on your very impressive dyno! You must be so proud.

Well, I want to run 3" exhaust and I asked who else had run 3" exhaust. If you haven't done it, I'm ok with that. Why would you feel the need to question me?

#1 - "Redline" is a term old people use to describe the maximum rpm you plan to spin your engine. It makes it sound important.

#2 - Yes, or big, whichever you prefer.

#3 - Depends on what jetting you choose.

#4 - I drive it every weekend I'm home and on long trips whenever possible.

#5 - It's a stage eleventeen build.

#6 - I guess that's why my race car has 5".

I'm happy you and the other guy agree on things that don't pertain to my thread.
Oh boy, welcome to the site...

This is going to be fun to watch :cool:

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What's your engine and hp? No needs to hold back the reason you want 3".

NVRSTUCK has the baddest bronco on here and was trying to help, there are a lot of people that come on here and have 300hp, thinking 3" exhaust will help them.