• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Show me your MAF cold air intake shield/box.

airbur

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Castle Pines, CO
Currently running a beautiful piece of brown cardboard attached with electrical and duct tape. While it blocks the air from the fan, it's rough to look at and moves around a lot.

Looking for pics of what you've done for a shield. My MAF and cold air intake are on the passenger side. I found a great setup from @xcntrk in the pic attached but not sure if it's custom or not. This is the style I'd like to have.

1CE22D56-3F9D-4018-B76C-8415F7049727_zpsft41of39.jpg

Thanks.

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
Lurking...I want to move my battery and slide the filter in thar space and isolated. But the battery objects.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
I'm not to the point where I need to build it yet but my plan is an air box drawing air from outside the engine compartment.
Not sure if the battery will need to be moved to the driver side/the intake switched to the driver side/a snorkel through the passenger side fender/?

Car/truck manufacturers stopped having the air intake draw from the hot engine compartment in the '60s/'70s for very good reason.

xcntrk's set-up looks like one on BC Broncos site, I didn't look to see if they sell them.

OP
OP
airbur

airbur

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Castle Pines, CO
I'm not to the point where I need to build it yet but my plan is an air box drawing air from outside the engine compartment.
Not sure if the battery will need to be moved to the driver side/the intake switched to the driver side/a snorkel through the passenger side fender/?

Car/truck manufacturers stopped having the air intake draw from the hot engine compartment in the '60s/'70s for very good reason.

xcntrk's set-up looks like one on BC Broncos site, I didn't look to see if they sell them.

I think you're talking about the one below that BC did custom and the one on xcntrk's rig is indeed different. His appears to connect to the MAF or air filter housing itself...instead of bolting to the fender.

EFI%20air%20hoseweb.jpg

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
I relocated the battery and moved the inlet filter to the pass side.

The shield is made of 1/4 plastic

Last one is from my 77 with Mustang EFI...

Attachments

• DSCN2147.jpg
    DSCN2147.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 262
  • DSCN2245.jpg
    DSCN2245.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 282
  • EFI Engine5.JPG
    EFI Engine5.JPG
    129.5 KB · Views: 261

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
Check out 904Bronco using EDIS8!

The only way to light the fire in a Ford!

OP
OP
airbur

airbur

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Castle Pines, CO
All great ideas guys. More and more I think I have to build one myself. This is my current setup and it needs a shield bad...

yzaruzy6.jpg

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
saw this the other day when under the hood of my toyota sienna. Think I may try something similar when I move to EFI

ignore the numbers. note the intake on the top of the grill.

6gx8qq.jpg

Blue Bastard

Bronco Guru
I will ask the dumb question. Why is the shield needed? Mine does not have one and I don't seem to have any issue?

OP
OP
airbur

airbur

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Castle Pines, CO
I will ask the dumb question. Why is the shield needed? Mine does not have one and I don't seem to have any issue?

It probably isn't needed with most MAFs. Mine, however, is a Pro-M 80MM unit and it is crazy sensitive. The airflow from the fan blows directly at the air filter and I can feel/hear the idle change as a result.

Last edited:

WorkerBee

Loc.
Northern CA
Here's mine. This incorporates the MAF mount on the same piece. I'm not really sure if it does anything because I've never ran without it. I riveted it to the inner fender apron.

Attachments

• 108.jpg
    108.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 273
  • 104.jpg
    104.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 231

tacobronco

Here's mine. This incorporates the MAF mount on the same piece. I'm not really sure if it does anything because I've never ran without it. I riveted it to the inner fender apron.
Where'd you get that shorty corrugated hose between the throttle body and MAF?

I'm stuck with the stock Mustang one that is not very flexible and fixes my MAF location where I don't have much room for the filter.