• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Show me your MAF cold air intake shield/box.

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
have you guys noticed any real difference after installing the shield? I can see it blocking radiant heat, but not the general hot air under the hood.

WorkerBee

Loc.
Northern CA
Where'd you get that shorty corrugated hose between the throttle body and MAF?

I'm stuck with the stock Mustang one that is not very flexible and fixes my MAF location where I don't have much room for the filter.

I could kick myself for not writing down what vehicle that came out of. I knew it'd come back to bite me.

I remember scouring the junk yard trying to find something that would fit. I believe I got it off of a Lincoln town car or something. You can usually tell if it'd fit because of the larger MAF and throttle body. All the speed density intake tubes were too small so I'd start looking at the HO versions and mod motors of that era. Sorry I couldn't be more specific.

Bronco_69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Monette Ar
have you guys noticed any real difference after installing the shield? I can see it blocking radiant heat, but not the general hot air under the hood.

most all these are sucking hot air which has been obsolete in new vehicles for 40 years ;) just poor engineering that shows off that pretty K&N filter

the shroud is to protect the MAF from fan wash (the pulsations off the blade). it interferes with idle quality

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Looks like I'm the only guy here who points his intake the other direction. My air intake is going to sit next to my power steering pump - plenty of fresh cool air there, but my Bronco isn't exactly like anything pictures here, lol.

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
Is there really any cool air that can be pulled in from directly under the hood once the engine is up to temp? I think that if you were gonna do it right it would have to come in from outside the hood and into the engine. Sort of a Ram Air type design.

I remember seeing a pretty cool setup! Let me see if I can find it!

Bronco_69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Monette Ar
Is there really any cool air that can be pulled in from directly under the hood once the engine is up to temp? I think that if you were gonna do it right it would have to come in from outside the hood and into the engine. Sort of a Ram Air type design.

I remember seeing a pretty cool setup! Let me see if I can find it!

there is a area for cold air to come in right under that battery. just look at the horn area on the drivers side.

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
if you run a ram-air intake to the grill, what keeps water/rain from entering the intake?

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
Ok, Found it!

I think that this is probably the best setup that I have seen in terms of getting the coldest air into the engine! I guess a sort of cowl induction design. Either way I like the idea of it. What y'all think?

Attachments

• front%20high.jpg
    front%20high.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 171
  • motor.jpg
    motor.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 236

No1hedberg

Loc.
Buckhannon WV
That is pretty slick. You guys do some nice work. I love this site. So many creative guys. You don't get this on most of the Mustang sites. If it doesn't come out of a box, it ain't happening.

xcntrk

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NOVA
I think that this is probably the best setup that I have seen in terms of getting the coldest air into the engine! I guess a sort of cowl induction design. Either way I like the idea of it. What y'all think?

Is that your work? I really dig that approach (and that EB!)

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
Is that your work? I really dig that approach (and that EB!)

Nah, not my work but I would like to come up with something similar. Don't wanna move the battery and relocate this and that! I just like how he went about this setup!

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
you do know that the intake can point to the drivers side, right?

Yeah, roger that! Just scared of the potential can of worms that would open up! In a weird way to be honest I like it on the passenger side! ;D Also, in my case it would likely cause issues with the hydroboost.