• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

silly question about three speeds

Miker

Bronco Guru
Guys, do any of you have good pics of a V-8 three speed and a 6 cylinder three speed. I'd like to compare the two. Guy says he has one and I'm tryin' to be the amazing Kreskin figuring it out by having him describe it on the phone cause he's not sure,,,,:p

barronj

Bronco Guru
I have a V8 3spd on the side of the house (under my top, aka where I store all my bronco crap, then covered by a tarp) that I can take pics of for you.

If someone wants to tell me exactly what spot to photo, I will.

Broncoman

Bronco Guru
I have Two 6 cylinder 3 speeds and one V8 three speed laying in the corner on the shed. I think the length of the actual transmissions are different. Drop me a pm and remind me tomorrow if i don't post back with a picture.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
This'll be good info. I thought all the trannies were the same length and only the intermediate housings differed.
The early transmissions had a drain plug in the bottom and were of slightly lighter-duty design I believe, but the same bolt-pattern and length?

Can't wait to see what the comparos show.

Paul

Derek

AS a newbie I don't consider that so much a goofy question...I am interrested aswell. good question

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
I always thought the transmission housings were the same size but the output shaft was different lengths between the two due to the different sizes of the adapters.

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
Mike, have two v-8 ones if you need....

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
6cyl trannys should have a shorter output shaft than the V8 by about 3in otherise they will look the same. The other main differance is that the 6 cyl tranny has a 3.41-1 first gear where the V8 tranny is only 2.99-1.

The 6 cyl adapter is only about 6 1/2 long where the v8 adapter housing is about 9 3/8" long. So output shafts should be the main cluse there.

d.c.parris

Loc.
cumming ga.
there were 2 different 3 speeds the rat & the ran. the rat trans was mostly used in broncos and pickups with v8s there should be a tag on the side of the case with rat stamped on it the ran's were used mostly in cars and 6 cyl light pickups and are 3/4 inch shorter cases . the rat has 3.41 first 1.86 second 1.00 third the ran has 2.99 first 1.75 second 1.00 third

DanWheeler

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kirkland, WA
this is the only pic I could find of my V8 3spd

367313818_Kj8wd-L.jpg