• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Simple problem female electrical connectors

Tmckinney

Loc.
Pearland, Houston
Having issues with my female connectors wiggling loose from my electronic ignition box. Does anybody have a trick they use or a product to keep connectors tight?
Last time this happened my stator wire fried and i had to rewire my ignition.

Joker11

Loc.
Yuma, Arizona
What type of female connectors?
If normal spade male and female are coming loose, you could solder them together. Then just heat them up to disconnect.
Or you can get some of the GM style waterproofed, positive lock types. Then they can not come apart without releasing the tab. Or, you could just splice the wires and eliminate the possible fail point.
One final thiught. You could connect them and then use heatshrink tubing to hold them on. Kinda hard to separate once it has heatshrink. All you need is a razor for maintenance later.

scrapman1971

Loc.
phoenix,az
What type of female connectors?
If normal spade male and female are coming loose, you could solder them together. Then just heat them up to disconnect.
Or you can get some of the GM style waterproofed, positive lock types. Then they can not come apart without releasing the tab. Or, you could just splice the wires and eliminate the possible fail point.
One final thiught. You could connect them and then use heatshrink tubing to hold them on. Kinda hard to separate once it has heatshrink. All you need is a razor for maintenance later.

I like the heat shrink idea

bsquared

Contributor
You're in Pearland?! So am I. I think using a higher quality female connector might do the trick.

I'm a sales rep for Thomas & Betts and they make the best terminals in the business. (no lie.....their Sta-Kons are top grade) I have quite a few extras in a sample kit I've had for years. Depending on what your wire size is, I should have plenty for you to choose from.

The heat shrink idea should also work, and I have extra of that as well, if you'd like some. I will PM you with my contact info and give me a call if you want to try these terminals out. Do you ever go up to the Lowes on Friday evenings?

demesauce

Loc.
Shaver Lake, CA
Just smoosh it a bit with a set of pliers. That way the female crimp with be slightly tighter, creating a tighter fit against the male end

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And if you're running a Ford Duraspark ignition and having trouble with those connectors coming loose... You're a lucky guy!!!! ;D
Well, obviously not lucky in the normal sense, but most of us with those connectors have such a hard time getting them apart when we want to, that we'd probably trade for a little ease of use for awhile. Beats always having to break the tabs off and pry the daylights out of the two halves to get them apart for a module swap or wire re-routing.

Got pics of what you're talking about? No matter what type they are, the others' suggestions are good. Get rid of the bad/loose ones and replace with something more reliable.
Frankly, even if it's a Duraspark, it wouldn't hurt to swap out for some Weatherpacks (or better yet, what bsquared is offering) and never worry again. Even though that means having to do it again if you ever need a new ignition control module.

Good luck.

Paul

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Weatherpaks are good and the original connectors are also available at napa.

Joker11

Loc.
Yuma, Arizona
I spend days on end crimping thomas&betts connectors. We have 16gauge and up to 750mcm cables.
My favorite cables are the special locomotive cables on 350mcm.
No need for the gym after crimping those all day.

And I agree they are the best connectors. Never have been a fan of the stakon. But it is the standard.

nathan.hall1

Loc.
Central Washington
Having issues with my female connectors wiggling loose from my electronic ignition box. Does anybody have a trick they use or a product to keep connectors tight?
Last time this happened my stator wire fried and i had to rewire my ignition.

I replaced my duraspark rats nest with an HEI dizzy, one of the best upgrades to date.

I too was going to comment on simple problem and female, but as usual I'm not the first funny guy and always a little late

OP
OP
T

Tmckinney

Loc.
Pearland, Houston
Thanks for all the help guys. The cheapie connectors were pissing me off. I went and got some higher grade connectors and silicone. I think that should work fine.
Thanks for all the suggestions.