• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

simple question about C4 dipstick angle, cooler lines

Bones

Loc.
Michigan
I am putting a C4 into my buggy project, and I need to know what angle the dipstick sits from the factory ( to ensure I have enough fluid). Can you simply post a side shot of the transmission with the dipstick tube, so I can get a rough guess on what angle the dipstick should sit at?

also... which cooler port is the high pressure out, and which is return?

Thanks

mr.n

Tube should have a tab that bolts to the bell housing, thus your angle.

OP
OP
B

Bones

Loc.
Michigan
bump... no one has pics of the side shot of their powertrain?

how about general idea... which bellhousing bolt does the tube go near? I'm guessing somewhere near the second to the top... maybe just below the second from the top?

iwlbcnu

Bronco Guru
The dipstick fits behind the intake in front of the firewall, so with about 2" clearence you get the idea where it goes, and straight up.

76 bronco J

Bronco Guru
,,,, the tube basically kinda follows the contour of the bell housiong to the top,,,,It really doesn't matter plus the firewall & engine kinda choose it's route,,,,

Attachments

• P7021545.JPG
    P7021545.JPG
    121.8 KB · Views: 51
OP
OP
B

Bones

Loc.
Michigan
The dipstick fits behind the intake in front of the firewall, so with about 2" clearence you get the idea where it goes, and straight up.

I don't really have a stock firewall and I'm not running a 302 (this is in a rock buggy).. I guess I'll wing it.

OP
OP
B

Bones

Loc.
Michigan
Ok, I'm starting to think I have a weird tube with the wrong bends or something haha. I guess I'll fill it up and if it slips, add more...

Thanks guys.

iwlbcnu

Bronco Guru
From the pic above, the fluid should be in the bend if that helps.

OP
OP
B

Bones

Loc.
Michigan
,,,, the tube basically kinda follows the contour of the bell housiong to the top,,,,It really doesn't matter plus the firewall & engine kinda choose it's route,,,,

dang, I need the adapter piece from the trans pan to the dipstick tube. Anyone know the size?

TwoHorses

Loc.
Milwaukee
Does it matter how these are hooked up? It's just a matter of which direction the flow goes thru the trans cooler, correct? I'm curious because when I put my tranny back in I couldn't remember which line went where.

thanks..

Front Feed

Rear Return

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Ok, I'm starting to think I have a weird tube with the wrong bends or something haha. I guess I'll fill it up and if it slips, add more...

Thanks guys.

Are you mixing case fill and pan fill dipstick tubes?

OP
OP
B

Bones

Loc.
Michigan
Does it matter how these are hooked up? It's just a matter of which direction the flow goes thru the trans cooler, correct? I'm curious because when I put my tranny back in I couldn't remember which line went where.

thanks..

I usually send the pressure line to the top of the cooler (depends what style cooler you have, and orientation of the cooler.

I think I'm going to add my temp gage to the cooler line, so I wanted to know which side was pressure

welndmn

Bronco Guru
On a buggy dump the stock think, its in the way.
Just get one from lokar and don't deal with the lame factory bends.

MikeEB

Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
187772602_32700ef6f6.jpg

187772598_564d4241ba.jpg

Let me know if you need others.