• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Size of key/tab in shift tube? Also, removal of lever in 66

67King

Greetings all. The key that actuates the arms on my 66 somewhere along the way came loose, wallowed out the tube, and was left who knows where. Does anyone have a tube laying around where they could measure the size of that key? Length, width, and height? From searching, it appears that shift tubes are pretty hard to come by. Mine seems to be repairable, the steering wheel end of mine that seems to more frequently fail is fine. But trying to avoid too much trial and error when I start welding onto the tube. And of course once thing heat up a bit, they may change, too. I have an e-mail in to NE Bronco parts to see about a tube, but it may be just as easier to repair mine.

Also, apparently at least on 66's, the shift lever is held in place by spring loaded pins, rather than a roll pin. I push those in and can rotate the lever, but it isn't coming out. DO I just need to pull really hard, or is there another step I'm missing? Don't want to break anything, nearly everything on this truck is original.

Finally, since I have you this far. Any source for teh rubber boot on the steering bell? Shame to replace the whole thing for a torn boot.
284927178_10230405813315595_7139359838137026844_n.jpg

U13FL735

I'll look after work tonight....thinking I have spare column parts to check for you, and measure. Can't recall about the lever, and pins...will check that too. And the boot you need, is it at the flex joint at the steering gear?

Bob

OP
OP

67King

I'll look after work tonight....thinking I have spare column parts to check for you, and measure. Can't recall about the lever, and pins...will check that too. And the boot you need, is it at the flex joint at the steering gear?

Bob
Thank you! I've already started trying to get it going........so I don't forget too much when it comes time to ptting it back together. I got a small woodruff key from the hardware store, ground it down, welded it to a piece of sheet metal I formed around a socket, and then weldd that in place. Had to build up the steel to get it a little higher. It appears it needs to be about 0.300" more or less in all directions, but there is some variance, obviously. I don't know if it will work, yet. My tube expanded a bit when it failed, so the arms didn't want to slide on until I ground away some of their material. Need to assemble the whole thing, as it seems sticky, and I can't actuate it with jjsut the level, since it isn't clamped down.

Of course, I ordered a whole steering bell. And just now I went to look for that, and foudn that Tom's sells just the boot, grr. But the bell at the end of the driveshaft that goes to the steering box. Appears later models used a rag joint (well, that's what the GM world calls them, anyway). https://tomsoffroad.com/parts/66-77-ford-bronco-manual-steering-shaft-bell-assembly

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
As far as the key, I'm no help. As far as the spring loaded pin on a 66 shifter, iirc you just depress and pull. It's been several years since I've pulled mine. Most of them by now, the springs fell apart and folks replaced replaced with an ordinary pin. When I get some time this afternoon to go out to the shop I'll try mine and see what's going on.

U13FL735

I've got a few pictures, if it isn't too late...you were on the right track with your measurement. This is my original '66, which I ended up replacing.

U13FL735

Had to renew membership...

My original tube which was pretty rusty. Height of key above tube surface is .145, Length measured parallel to tube is .375, and its about .320 wide. Odd the way its made. Key piece is attached to center of small square sheet, then pushed thru hole from inside tube, and spot welded to tube...must be after spring and collar are on. Leaves just key going thru tube with nice clean corners for levers to contact. On my tube the piece in tube is cracked, but won't fall out. Hope this helps,

Bob

Attachments

• DSC02282.JPG
    DSC02282.JPG
    150.2 KB · Views: 9
  • DSC02295.JPG
    DSC02295.JPG
    118.9 KB · Views: 10
  • DSC02298.JPG
    DSC02298.JPG
    195.8 KB · Views: 9

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Never made it to the shop yesterday and was out of town all day today, will try again tomorrow, sorry.

OP
OP

67King

Had to renew membership...

My original tube which was pretty rusty. Height of key above tube surface is .145, Length measured parallel to tube is .375, and its about .320 wide. Odd the way its made. Key piece is attached to center of small square sheet, then pushed thru hole from inside tube, and spot welded to tube...must be after spring and collar are on. Leaves just key going thru tube with nice clean corners for levers to contact. On my tube the piece in tube is cracked, but won't fall out. Hope this helps,

Bob

Thanks! I didn't see that there had been a reply, maybe the e-mail went to spam. Man, only 0,145 tall? I really thought mine wasn't tall enough, so I built up it with weld. At any rate, got all the bearings yesterday, and just went and test fit everythign. Until I put the shaft in, and clamped it down on both ends, I couldn't get it to shift, and kep thinking I had screwed up. Turns out it just needed to be clamped down in place. Shifts like butter, now!

Have to take apart enough to run my wires, I may pull it out and get some pictures of what it looks like. It isn't pretty, but it works.

OP
OP

67King

Here are some mediocre pictures. Key started like as a 3/16 by 3/4 key from the hardware store. Ground to make more square, firmed the sheet metal around I think a 9/16 impact socket. Welded mostly to top of wallowed out hole. You can see where I added weld to make it taller, and filed side to make less long. The spring seat doesn't always go all the way down, as the tube expanded a but when the key failed. Shaped as best I could, but had to open up the arms a little to make them slide more easily.

Attachments

• 20220605_095516~2.jpg
    20220605_095516~2.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 20220605_095525~2.jpg
    20220605_095525~2.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 20220605_095457~3.jpg
    20220605_095457~3.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 9

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
The spring loaded pin on the shift handle I just depressed and removed the handle, so I'm not sure what's going on with yours.

OP
OP

67King

The spring loaded pin on the shift handle I just depressed and removed the handle, so I'm not sure what's going on with yours.
Dunno. Mine seems flared down like it encases a ball joint type setup. Doesn't matter now, though. Managed to work with it in place. I do really appreciate you checking!