• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Sizzling Exhaust Tips

ltcbutch

Loc.
Selma, AL
OK, the old girl has been idle for about 5 years so I am taking her out on baby walks. Has less than 20 miles on her from the 351W rebuild couple years ago.

Went out on a 3 mile 30-45 mph jaunt with some slow turn arounds and noticed when I got back the exhaust was very hot. Water poured on the tips just sizzled away.

Issues?

Thanks.

backpain

Bronco Guru
re: the old gas - generally no, it deteriorates in combustibility/heat energy output (I believe) and attracts water. How old is the gas?

No matter what some heat is normal. Too hot to touch may well be normal. How hot is the question.

Check for lean/rich. Lean is hot, but you may well notice in other ways if so lean to make the tail end of the exhaust too hot. Extra rich could be dumping fuel in your exhaust that is burning (think: backfire). Could have finally heated up enough to burnout some stuff that was in there already . . . . could be lots of things. {wait . . checking by brain . . yes, that is right - I've been diesel world, which is backwards}

As above, describe your exhaust. I'd check carb (assuming carb) and mixture first. If those check out. Run it through some operating/temp cycles and then check the exhaust heat again.

Could pyrometer the EGTs at the manifold/headers. Should be able to find some charts on the web for reasonable rich/lean EGT ranges on pump gas normally aspirated.

Last edited: