• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Sloppy steering

Yellow75

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sioux Falls, SD
Every year it gets taken out of storage and I blow more money on it lol... Drove it back down to nieces gratuation 80m each way this weekend and quickly remembered the steering is a bit sloppy. I have the tie rods all replaced years ago. heim joints etc..

Should I just replace the steering box? I had it rebuilt like 15 years ago. Not that I txt and drive but I didn't even dare look at my phone.

PS.. Bought that thing in 1998? When I do get it out every single kid. Every old fella smiles and waves. Good times

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
You mention heim joints? heim joints are not DOT approved for street use vehicles far as I know.

now as to the steering box, im not one to just throw parts at a problem so i suggest finding the issue before spending hard earned money.

Have someone turn the steering wheel back and forth while you watch all the components. Find what's moving that shouldn't be. Could be the frame flexing or track bar mount or the box or many other things. Could be ball joints or even not enough caster or toe. Could be a result of suspension angles too.

Tim

dmoses42

Contributor
Bronco addict
Loc.
Brunswick, Ga
I'm with Timmy. Have someone work the wheel back and forth and you watch each joint/connection from the shaft exiting the column all the way down, just until it isn't sloppy. Then you will know where the moving parts stop and the parts that should be moving aren't, and it will be one side of those two. If its the steering box, the input of the steering box is rotating but the pitman arm isn't, its in the box. If the input for the box and pitman arm move at the same time, its in the linkage somewhere. Like Timmy said, moving where it shouldn't be (frame flex at mounting area or bracket mounting areas) or not moving where it should be (tie rods, track bar, or the actual box) should give you an idea on where to start. Timmy is smarter about this than I am, but when you find what is moving that should't be, or what isn't moving that should be, post back up if you need help on what to do.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Not questioning any legalities. Just wanting to know if a new power steering box will fix the slop
New steering box is throwing money at it without knowing the root cause of your steering issues.

Last edited:

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
Just wanting to know if a new power steering box will fix the slop
impossible to tell....if the problem is the steering box, than yes, replacing it will fix the issue. Thing is that there is a lot of variables that can cause your sloppy steering.
How many miles on that rebuilt box??
Have you had your alignment checked to get some base numbers? (caster/camber/toe)
The test above are a great start to find worn parts/bushings.
Do you have a lift??
Run large tires and lots of miles?
Wheel bearings?
King pins/ball joints?

We all love pics. How about posting some of your front end setup?