• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Small lifts- anyone have any photos?

mebco09

Tried the search function, and got nowhere. Here is what I'd like to see, if anyone has any photos, I'd appreciate it.-

Stock, 1"BL uncut

1.5" lift, uncut (I understand that this is a relatively new lift)

2.5" lift, uncut

Here is where I need some opinions- I have a frame that I am trying to get rolling again. I bought my bronco with a NIB TBP 2.5" lift, that appears to probably be complete. My original intent was to build a LUBR, but I am getting tired of the top heavy "ICON" look, and the uncut stock look is growing on me (we used to call them nerd broncos 25 years ago). My intent either way is to have a streetable rig that will do freeway speeds occasionally, and won't wander all over the road.

To compound the situation, I have two new axles with disc brakes already, so my wheel choices in an uncut might be limited. I also am thinking that a 5 speed will be in the cards, so I may need to do a 1"BL (don't want to).

Any thoughts?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
A 1 to 1.5 inch lift is not actually all that new. Just making a nice comeback.
Some of the first lifts were in that area in fact. A small add-a-leaf in the rear was usually about an inch and a half. Air bags in the coils could be pumped up that high, but the ride was super stiff. Adding F100 coils took you up from 3/4" to about 1 1/2" or so, depending on which ones you chose. But Rough Country and Burbank made 1.5" coils too.
I had air bags at first, and then Rough Country coils on my '71 back in the seventies and boy were they stiff!

The Moog Cargo Coils for a 6-cylinder F100 were smooth as silk, but did not quite make the full inch of lift. However that was perfect for the look and performance I was looking for at the time. Those and a pair of add-a-leaves took me many happy places for years.
A 3.5" lift was a LOT back then, but we certainly got used to the look quickly. And the added clearance it offered was real nice off road.

Basically a very long way of saying that you might still finds some very old pics with just 1" or so of lift.;D

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Oh, and what is it about your new axles that will limit you wheel choices? Using a Ford disc brake front? Full-width setups? Big brakes?
Something else?

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Here's one with 2.5" plus 1" with 31x10.50-15's on 15x8" wheels (with a just barely tolerable 3.625 or 3.75 inch backspacing).

IMG_0040 (Large).jpg

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Same 2.5 plus 1 with the same 31x10.50-15 size tire, but on a 15x7 wheel with 4" backspacing.

IMG_1982 (Large).jpg

This shows the added gap of the 1" body lift on the rear bumper. Swing-away tire carrier masks it a bit on this rig from some angles, but my full beam-type carrier basically makes it totally disappear on my other Bronco.

Paul

mimmonen

Contributor
IMG_0552.jpg Here is my 69 with a 1.5 inch WH suspension lift and 30 x 9.5 - 15 tires

OP
OP
M

mebco09

Oh, and what is it about your new axles that will limit you wheel choices? Using a Ford disc brake front? Full-width setups? Big brakes?
Something else?

Paul

I'm concerned that if I don't get enough lift, that the rear tires might rub on the fenders since the rear discs are not going to allow the rear wheels to tuck against them like a drum setup would. I feel like I am probably limited in tire width going uncut, disc rears and less than 2.5" in total lift (body and suspension)

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Depends on what disc setup you're working with. Some fit with the same exact wheels as their drum brake counterparts.

Just like so much that we build and have to work with, "it all depends" is the name of the game.

Paul

OP
OP
M

mebco09

Depends on what disc setup you're working with. Some fit with the same exact wheels as their drum brake counterparts.

Just like so much that we build and have to work with, "it all depends" is the name of the game.

Paul

Any way to tell from this photo? or is it a trial and error kind of thing?

Attachments

• IMG_20190920_141341190.jpg
    IMG_20190920_141341190.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 37

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Someone will know. I can't tell if that's an Explorer setup or one of the more typical GM-based units (or a pieced together kit from some vendor) but it likely fits most standard wheels.
You could measure the diameter of the rotor to see if it's a standard size for 15" wheels (usually no more than 12" diameter rotor I think?) and add the caliper as it extends beyond the rotor as well.

Is it in a marked box? Got receipts from someone?

Paul

OP
OP
M

mebco09

Looks like the OAL from hub to hub of the axle is 58 inches, which appears to be the same or really close to the original hub to hub on the stock setup, so the axle itself is not wider. (I was afraid of that)

The brakes are 11 1/2 inches at the rotor, and the caliper width makes them right around 13 1/2. So it looks like they will fit within a 15" rim. (?)

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'd say so. And agree that the axle measurements seem consistent with Bronco axles.
Did you buy them already built and the promise that they were for a Bronco? New parts already done inside as well?

Is the "pumpkin" section of the front differential on the driver's side? Does it have all the usual mounting points for coil springs and radius arms?
What about the front discs? Got a pic of them too?

Thanks

Paul

OP
OP
M

mebco09

I'm pretty sure that the guy I bought the whole package from was buying a lot of parts from Toms, but the axles might have come from Randy's Ring and Pinion in Everett, Wash. His shop was a block or two from Randys.

Ill take some photos of the front when I am back in the shop. Thanks for your help so far.

Now I just have to figure out how tall this Bronco should be.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That's second only to what color to paint them on the difficulty scale!
Good luck. But in the end they look great no matter how they're suspended.
In my opinion, stock height looks better on fully cut and flared fenders, but uncut's look too low and, well, just too low.
A 1.5 to 2.5 lift is perfect for them I think. They start to get that too-tall look after 3.5 (these are "total" numbers though).

Because you might be installing a larger trans, you must take into account the potential for a body lift. Yes, it can be done without a body lift, so if that's your preference, go for it.
However, without a body lift you WILL BE CUTTING something most likely. I can't imagine a 4R70 or (especially) a ZF(!) would fit without total modification at least to the tunnel.
This might not be a deal breaker, but then again it might be. I'd rather figure out how to cover up the 1" larger gaps above the bumpers than custom make floor coverings to fit the custom floorpan.

Remember, nobody liked body lifts until a few years ago. Which is why the 1" is so popular now. It's still a compromise for most, but it's a better one than most too. More room for parts, more room for working, more lift without the cost, not too much for most in the looks department, less work to do than taller lifts, etc.

Lots to think about.
But if all that sounds like you will need a body lift, then you're probably going to end up with a 1.5" suspension to go with it. Broncos look sweet with 2.5" total!
(personal opinion stated of course...)

Paul

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
OK i'm a RED NECK....... But I say mine has 16's tires. 265x16 xR85.
1 inch lift pucks on top of the original stock pucks . I just could not get the stock one out from under my Bronco . So I call it a 1+ lift..
... Now I HAVE A set of 3inch Rancho front coils .. But I also have a diesel motor in the engine compartment . It' like about 400 lbs heavier that a 302
.. & I have rear BLOCKS 2 INCHES ..
& i'LL SAY MINE RIDES GOOD .

Attachments

• P1010003 6.jpg
    P1010003 6.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 44
OP
OP
M

mebco09

Looks like the fronts are a bit bigger, 1/2-3/4 overall, so those are close to 14", and looks like they will probably just fit. Looks like Bronco specific parts on the Axle, or F100 pickup.

Anybody have a photo of a WH 1.5 suspension, and 1" body lift? I think that is the direction I might be headed.

Attachments

• IMG_20190921_152025513.jpg
    IMG_20190921_152025513.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 18