• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Smog Pump Pics.

hmgoy

Loc.
CHANDLER, AZ
IM IN AZ AND HAVE TO PASS EMMISSIONS. I HAVE A 77' AN DPUT A 302 IN IT WHICH WAS STOCK FOR THIS. IVE BEEN TOLD THAT BECAUSE ITS A 77 I HAVE TO HAVE THE PUMP ON. ( NOT NECESSARALY WORKING) I DONT KNOW HIW IT INTALLS. I NEED PICS PLEASE... CAN ANYONE HELP OUT

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hmmm, I was under the impression that even in '77, not all Broncos had air pumps. Like CA trucks did, and FED (49 state) trucks didn't.
Anybody know for sure?

Paul

OP
OP
hmgoy

hmgoy

Loc.
CHANDLER, AZ
SMOG PUMPS

I FOUND THIS IN ANOTHER POST ITS FOR CA. THOUGH

EB Smog Equipment list by year in CA
http://www.bronco.com/technical/tables/CA_smog.shtml

this site lists the smog equipment used on the EB (V-8). confirm with the link or save a trip and read my typing.

Year Engine HP
66 all PCV, 1-AIS
67 all PCV, ACL, 1-AIS
68 289 200, PCV, ACL, 2-AIS
69 302 PCV, ACL
70 302 205, PCV, ACL, 3-EVAP
71 302 205, PCV, ACL, 3-EVAP
72 302 PCV, ACL, 3-EVAP
73 302 137, PCV, ACL, EVAP, EGR
74 302 5-137, PCV, ACL, EVAP, EGR, AIS, SPK
75 302 ACL, EVAP, EGR, AIS, EFE, 1-OC, 1-FR
76 302 ACL, EVAP, EGR, AIS, EFE, OC, FR
77 302 PCV, ACL, EVAP, EGR, 4-AIS, OC, FR

All the definitions they had are:
Notes: 1. Some models only
2. M/T only
3. CA only
4. Except federal A/T
Only engine avail in CA

PCV=positive crankcase ventilation
ACL=air cleaner
EVAP=EVAPorative control system(fuel tank)
AIS=AIR Injection System (smog pump)
SPK=Ignition Spark control

does anyone know what EFE, OC, and FR mean?

One more tip, don't tell them you have a 351W because that will make them get out the book at the emmisions test station.

Jeff in AZ

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
The smog sticker on the drivers side valve cover says so. If you have custom or valve covers that are illegible they always want them to pass CA emmissions standards since they are the toughest of the 2. As far as i know no one is reproducing the valve cover stickers. I would have to check the door post sticker to verify if it is on there too. My driven Bronco is a California smog truck but my rusty project is a 49th state smog truck. Both are 1974 models.

74bronc

Bronco Guru
dennis carpenter reproductions makes reproduction stickers. I just painted a set of stocker valve covers and installed my new sticker. I will snap a pic and post it tonight, if anyone cares. The sticker looks nice. just like the original. I am pretty sure they have them available for 49 state and CA.

jims66

Re: SMOG PUMPS

hmgoy said:
I FOUND THIS IN ANOTHER POST ITS FOR CA. THOUGH

EB Smog Equipment list by year in CA
http://www.bronco.com/technical/tables/CA_smog.shtml

this site lists the smog equipment used on the EB (V-8). confirm with the link or save a trip and read my typing.

Year Engine HP
66 all PCV, 1-AIS
67 all PCV, ACL, 1-AIS
68 289 200, PCV, ACL, 2-AIS
69 302 PCV, ACL
70 302 205, PCV, ACL, 3-EVAP
71 302 205, PCV, ACL, 3-EVAP
72 302 PCV, ACL, 3-EVAP
73 302 137, PCV, ACL, EVAP, EGR
74 302 5-137, PCV, ACL, EVAP, EGR, AIS, SPK
75 302 ACL, EVAP, EGR, AIS, EFE, 1-OC, 1-FR
76 302 ACL, EVAP, EGR, AIS, EFE, OC, FR
77 302 PCV, ACL, EVAP, EGR, 4-AIS, OC, FR

All the definitions they had are:
Notes: 1. Some models only
2. M/T only
3. CA only
4. Except federal A/T
Only engine avail in CA

PCV=positive crankcase ventilation
ACL=air cleaner
EVAP=EVAPorative control system(fuel tank)
AIS=AIR Injection System (smog pump)
SPK=Ignition Spark control

does anyone know what EFE, OC, and FR mean?

Jeff in AZ

Well, EFE is Early Fuel Evaporation. It is a vacuum diaphram on the exaust manifold that closes at a predetermined time to force hot gasses through a passage on the intake manifold under the carb. This promotes more complete fuel burns during cold starts.

I can't remember the others, but I will keep thinking.

mitzel

Contributor
Loc.
Googleplex
jims66
> Well, EFE is Early Fuel Evaporation. It is a vacuum diaphram on the exaust manifold that
> closes at a predetermined time to force hot gasses through a passage on the intake
> manifold under the carb. This promotes more complete fuel burns during cold starts.
>
> I can't remember the others, but I will keep thinking.

I think the ``what is EFE...'',etc. questions were not from hmgoy. that whole post with smog
equipment info was just a cut-n-paste from a thread a couple months back
<http://www.classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=42593>.

in that thread someone answered that the EFE is basically the charcoal canister system.
I believe the exhaust gas crossover appeared many years earlier and independent of
emissions. but I'm not an expert so I have no idea which is correct interpretation.

the earlier thread referenced above has more details, but quick summary is OC was
claimed to be oxidizing catalytic converter and FR as fuel restrictor.

mitzel

Contributor
Loc.
Googleplex
hmgoy
> I FOUND OUT HTAT THE FEDERAL A/T JUST MEANS IT CAME WITH AN AUTOMATIC

so if you can get your truck classified as 'federal' and get the dmv/smog referee to
agree to the validity of that footnote/exception then it looks like you're golden without the
smog pump. that sounds like great news for you!

jims66

mitzel said:
jims66
> Well, EFE is Early Fuel Evaporation. It is a vacuum diaphram on the exaust manifold that
> closes at a predetermined time to force hot gasses through a passage on the intake
> manifold under the carb. This promotes more complete fuel burns during cold starts.
>
> I can't remember the others, but I will keep thinking.

I think the ``what is EFE...'',etc. questions were not from hmgoy. that whole post with smog
equipment info was just a cut-n-paste from a thread a couple months back
<http://www.classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=42593>.

in that thread someone answered that the EFE is basically the charcoal canister system.
I believe the exhaust gas crossover appeared many years earlier and independent of
emissions. but I'm not an expert so I have no idea which is correct interpretation.

the earlier thread referenced above has more details, but quick summary is OC was
claimed to be oxidizing catalytic converter and FR as fuel restrictor.

No, that is the EVAP system. EFE was a vacuum controlled system. The earlier crossover system was a simple thermostatic spring that closed the valve. The vacuum was used because it could be controlled easier.

74bronc

Bronco Guru
74bronc said:
dennis carpenter reproductions makes reproduction stickers. I just painted a set of stocker valve covers and installed my new sticker. I will snap a pic and post it tonight, if anyone cares. The sticker looks nice. just like the original. I am pretty sure they have them available for 49 state and CA.

here's a pic of the repro valve cover sticker from DCR

Attachments

• valvecover.jpg
    valvecover.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 178

j.r.nice

Bronco Guru
77 ET-AL EMISSIONS INFO

I went through this in Virginia and with EPA and learned a lot.
According to their (VA) books (which they referenced to pass/fail a vehicle) ........

1977's had air pumps (I'm citing 77 since that was the year in question) . I can't find a photo but they had an uglyass huge bracket on the passenger side by the alternator. The alternator pulley has 2 grooves and the air pump belt runs directly off the alternator.

The only exempted ones were the "high altitude" models. NO not a loophole, they can check that. Even the high altitude ones had EGRs.

As far as you guys with 351s. (I also did a LOT of research) or any emission controlled vehicles (IN SHORT):

351s never came in EB so it "decertifys" the vehicle. Meaning that Ford produced these with 302s and they were tested and certified for emissions with that configuration. (no - not even 4bbls or dual exhaust!!!). This means that EPA /State Environmental have no way to certify this vehicle in your configuration.
SO NEVER TELL THEM ITS A 351

I argued with EPA....."so you're telling me that if I can't change my engine to a more emissions effective EFI 302 from a never Mustang -which obviously has lower emissions than an old Bronco 2bbl engine"

EPA: "Yes - not without decertifying the vehicle".
(and this guy was a gearhead) Part of the reason being the "newer" engine has an emission level of "X" in a Mustang configuration.......but would not necessarily have the same in an early Bronco. (aerodynamic cracker boxes that they are!!)
;D ;D

Matter of fact: if you change the engine it technically has to have the same year long block as originally installed!! (this is on emission controlled vehicles (>64) only)

As far as other mods.......EPA previously only cited businesses (i.e. speed shops, repair shops etc) for removing emissions equipment. The fines to a speed shop for installing duals and removing the cats is somewhere around $30,000 and up.
BAD NEWS: several years ago they changed that....now the EPA can cite/fine individuals for removing emissions equipment. EVEN IF YOUR STATE DOESNT CHECK FOR IT!!!! Fines, if I recall are about $2500. I never looked into it much further

I tried an end run around the VA law......."kit car!!" I had a fiberglass body, non-original engine, different transmission, etc.
VA says ".....we go by the year of the the frame" basically if it still has the original frame, it's not a "kit car".

In the case of a true kit car VA uses the year of the engine. SO obviously it's a '64.

I cant speak to other states, but VA was nasty. (I'm sure not like CA) At one point they waived older vehicles and then recinded the deal.

When I first bought my 77...in 1991.....I had to re-install the gas filler neck restricters that the PO punched out. Even though leaded gas was long gone!!!

Good BYE VIRGINNY!!!!

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
In CA you can change to a newer engine or even a larger engine thats newer but it too de certifies the truck. You then have to apply at a state referee to be recertified and they check that the new engine carreis all the working smog equipment for which it is designed and the truck carries the smog equipment for which it was designed and when its all said and done they issue a certification plaque with a bar code and numbers. Now it is no longer a Bronco smog it a special built veichcle passing a new smog standard. Getting it through this ordeal can be easy or it can be a real pain in the arse. It gets down to how bad a day the referee is having that day. Bring in a POS and make it a pain for him you could spend a year getting certified running back and forth. Alot of fuel injected 302 conversions are here in CA but you cant hardly get a 351 carb through the system. In most cases you cant get them to even help you a little. If the guy likes you great otherwise its bring it in pay a fee test it fail get out and fix it and try again with no imput from them as to what failed and what needs to be done. They hated a person I know so bad they would check the veichele fail it one component at a time not tell him a thing other than something like aircleaner or egr and make him come back time and time again for rechecking. Its not like taking it in and them checking it over and then getting a list of stuff to fix. Here it can take anywhere from 2 weeks to a month and a half just to get an apointment to get in and you have no say for time slot. You can do it and many have but it is no fun at all.

j.r.nice

Bronco Guru
iwlbcnu said:
None of the 4 77's I have owned in VA have had smog pumps.

...the obvious answer is you bought them from the same guy I did! ;D

I would think somebody took them off. Do/did any of yours have the huge bracket on the pass. side left? Where were they sold?
....and did thet say unleaded fuel only? ...just curious....

The DMV guy pulled out the book and showed me that all of them were required to have the smog (except hi-altitude). Mine still had the bracket. I'm not sure what county your in but anywhere near DC they required emissions inspections every 2 years. Even on the yearly they still check to see if any of it has been removed (the really PITA stations).

j.r.nice

Bronco Guru
It was supposed to be 25, if I remember correctly, then as 2002 approached it got changed. I think they made it 30 years.
But they could still gig ya if the equipment was removed.