• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Smoked Positive Battery Cable

73Russell

Loc.
Federal Way, WA
Last night smoked the battery cable going down to the solenoid. What would be a possible cause of this? Cable going to starter and the ground were also both warm. Solenoid was still allowing power through it as it was slowing trying to turn over. Thanks for your input!

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Too much current draw through small cables. Cranking to long. Go with nice big battery cables 4 guage or bigger.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Too much current for too long. Could be shorted starter windings, starter cable shorted to ground, shorted solenoid, or stray 12V on "S" terminal of solenoid.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The previous posts nailed it pretty good. The stck cable(s) is wimpy and it does not take much age and corrosion to increase their resistance to the point where what you experienced happens.

I make my own..using 1/0 cable and the really good quality cast copper battery lugs. The crap they sell in the parts stores is not for me and those clamp-type replacement battery ends they sell are worthless too..

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Internal damage/corrosion will weaken the cable priming it for this failure. When you finally get a heavy load it will fail.

Starter going bad and drawing excess current can also add to the problem.

OP
OP
73Russell

73Russell

Loc.
Federal Way, WA
Okay so I replaced my suspect wire, and all i get is a slow rotation of the motor like the battery is dying, checked the battery and it has 12.85 volts. Anything else I can check short of pulling parts and replacing till I find the culprit and if so how would I go about checking them?

70_Steve

Old Guy
Okay so I replaced my suspect wire, and all i get is a slow rotation of the motor like the battery is dying, checked the battery and it has 12.85 volts. Anything else I can check short of pulling parts and replacing till I find the culprit and if so how would I go about checking them?
The current has to be able to make the complete circuit, from positive battery cable to negative battery cable. Sounds like all you replaced was the positive battery cable. That still leaves the solenoid, starter cable,starter and negative battery cable, assuming you do have the negative battery cable bolted to the engine block.

If you have someone helping you, have them turn the key to START, and use your voltmeter to measure the voltage at every point along the way. connect the - lead the negative side of the battery. The BAT+ side of the starter solenoid should still read battery voltage, as should the STA side of the solenoid, and the starter cable connection at the starter. The engine block should read 0.0 volts . This check should tell you where the extra resistance is.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
What were you doing when this melt down started.. Had you replaced the solenoid .. I've gotten the wrong solenoid several time and blew batterys and melted cables...
... But I bet you need new pos cable ...new solenoid ... and an extra ground from starter frame to frame and motor ..I like to connect it all together ..

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer

Battery could have good voltage but still fail under a load. Have it load tested. If the battery is good I suspect the starter is partially shorted which is drawing the extra current and melting the cable. Have the starter tested too. I'll bet you a beer you need one of the two.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I'd also replace and upgrade the ground cable. Like other said you probably fried some of the other componets as well mainly solenoid and starter. Your battery could just be low due to the earlier discharge as well.