• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Smokin exhaust during down hill Compression.

ZuperDave

Loc.
Hanford, Ca
Ok gear heads,...I've been having this problem for several years and now it is starting to bother me,....When traveling down hill and using the engine compression to slow my speed I have a problem with smoking from the exhuast when I start to excelerate again. What would you say is going on inside that motor? She does burn a bit of oil, maybe about a 1/4 of a quart on every run I take from Hanford to Bald.

Ruby has a 5.0 EFI out of a 1990 Mustang backed with a C4 Automatic. Actual Miles on Motor is unkown.

hlt75

most likley worn rings, vacum is high on decelration there for sucks oil past the worn rings

tjsaye

Loc.
Midlothian
valve guides worn

nothing to worry about solution, nurled bronze guides installed when you get your next valve job..

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
X2

Valve guides and seals. I run positive seals on mine, but a good knurling job and umbrellas should do the trick.

4rdnuts

Loc.
Tyler, Texass
I think any of the gear heads in here can tell you whats goin on internally...
suck, squeeze, bang, blow... fuel spark and and oxygen delivered at the right time baby... lol, but really........

personally, i dont like compression tests unless I am looking for a major difference in compression for cylinder to cylinder, and the difference has to be significant, I know the rule of thumb is 10%, but still, I am looking for 50% or more. I immagine other guys in here feel real different about that, thats just my 2 cents. If you want to do a real test of valve seat, ring seat, jump time, do a leak down test instead.

What color smoke you getting, black = rich, blue/white = oil

OP
OP
ZuperDave

ZuperDave

Loc.
Hanford, Ca
I'm pretty sure the smoke is Bluegrey, but I'm waiting for confirmation from someone who followed me down this past weekend. It is not noticalbe by me, so its not real bad.......

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
:p :p :p If it smokes going down hill then I would ck. the drain back holes in the heads and replace the PCV valve as it sounds like you are sucking oil from the valve cover and burning it. A bad PCV valve wont close tight when dirty good luck.:D :D :D Bill %) :cool: ;D

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
:p :p :p If it smokes going down hill then I would ck. the drain back holes in the heads and replace the PCV valve as it sounds like you are sucking oil from the valve cover and burning it. A bad PCV valve wont close tight when dirty good luck.:D :D :D Bill %) :cool: ;D

The PCV is just a check valve. It just keeps the the crankcase from getting too much pressure durring backfire and blowing out your seals. That's the only reason for it. If it weren't for the possiblity of backfire, a straight vacuum line fould work.

ugly74

Bronco abuser
definitely valves seals and/or guides. with a high vaccuum condition (engine braking) the cylinder will suck oil from the head around the intake valve stem.

OP
OP
ZuperDave

ZuperDave

Loc.
Hanford, Ca
That sound about right,....Thanks for all the input.

I think I'm just going to sell it,.......Any takers?

NOT!,......Just kidding.