• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Snow plow is done!

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
Finally got the old snow plow I picked up from BMC done. Got it around Thanksgiving. The plow is an OLD Meyers plow that hasnt been made in 30 years but it works good enough for me. It was complete but needed alot of work. I replaced the pump motor, new solenoid, new wiring, new up switch, all new bolts in the frame, and pull cable for down. Welded some bracing on the pump mount to repair some rust. Did a quick wirebush on the frame and plow shot some rustoleum on it and its good to go! I really should get a new cutting edge or at least flip the edge over but it will do for now.

Just wanted it for my driveway and my work parking lot. Dont want to drive the bronco much in the snow because of all the salt they use on the roads aroun here. Long term plan was to have a half cab bronco for a beater/plow/dump runner so I dont kill my 67 but no money for that so the 67 will do for now! And belive it or not its snowing its ass off right now! Well if we get a dusting I would be suprised!

Attachments

• redoneplow.JPG
    redoneplow.JPG
    23.4 KB · Views: 300

DevilDog

Loc.
Virginia
I can't help but notice that in the background of that photo it appears the Bronco pooped a jeep.

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
Ahh man! I can't believe that you are gonna plow with that sweet lookin ride!!! Why even subject it to the salt and the corrosion that it can cause? :cry: Isn't that what a Heep is for anyway? Take it easy on the Bronc even though it is more than up to the task. ;D

Plow looks great though! Nice job on the resto!

broncosport

Loc.
Knob Noster MO
Sorry but could you post a couple pics of the under carrage mount. I'm building Mine now and would like to see a factory set up.

OP
OP
ep67bro

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
Yeh I dont want to plow with it too much. The truck is pretty rust free and want to try to keep it that way but after the 4ft of snow we had two years ago I vowed to get a plow! So I did. And this was the cheapest way to do it, I guess I have about $600.00 total in the set up and everything is bolted on with about 8 bolts so I can remove it in the spring in about an hour!
The jeep is my brother inlaws. I wouldnt plow with it, the frame is a rusty mess and has so many patches in it I think the plow would break it. Its in the shop for some clutch work.

I will take a few shots of the frame brakets today.

Ginzo

I have almost the same set up. My plow is an old Western (basically the same) on a similar Bronco (except the lack of rust part). It works great as long as the snow isn't to wet/heavy. I put 420 lbs. of sand tubes in the rear and now its like a tank. Just another way to have fun with the Bronco, I figure!

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Sweet! Nice job on the 'resto'...and I'm glad to see that ole plow going back to work.

I wouldn't worry the 'rust' issues much; I plowed with my '74 Scout for years and just made sure that I stayed out of any salted areas and if I carried any salt to throw down after I finished a paved area...I completely lined the rear of the truck with poly first.

Plus, being in the salt-capital of the US like we are, AND on a low-lying island that floods with sea water all the time, I routinely spray the entire underside of my rigs with WD-40 from a garden pump sprayer.

OP
OP
ep67bro

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
Thanks Bill it came out good. It will do the job (if we ever get any snow!).
Attached are a few pics of the frame mount the shop is kind of dark hope they help.

Attachments

• plowbracket1.JPG
    plowbracket1.JPG
    22.3 KB · Views: 108
  • plowbracket2.JPG
    plowbracket2.JPG
    25.4 KB · Views: 97

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Did you trim the bumper mounting tabs off? I can't make 'em out in the pic and there is obviously no bumper mounted.

And did the original motor come back to life?

OP
OP
ep67bro

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
Bill the tabs are still there. I dont have an original bumper anymore. My prerunner front bumper slides inside the frame so it wouldnt work. The original motor was rebuilt by a local starter/alternator shop. Th pump works good and only leaks a little bit. The pull cable for down is a little tricky and dosent always push closed enough to hold the plow but that is just not a big deal.

lanny-24

Loc.
Woodhaven
I would like to see any pictures available on plows, I am looking to mount one on my 76. Looking at an old Meyers now, but it has a pump that needs to be mounted on the engine. Hoping there is a way to convert it. Any pictures of a non-welded mount would be appreciated.

OP
OP
ep67bro

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
None of the brackets are welded to the bronco frame. Only bolts hold it thru existing factory holes in the frame. It may not be the strongest but for the use I will put it thru it will be just fine. Very clean mount but I dont belive this is an Off The Shelf mount. I think someone spent a bunch of time back in the day and made the mount. I have seen other plow mounts but they have been welded to the bronco frame and very bulky.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The pull cable for down is a little tricky and dosent always push closed enough to hold the plow but that is just not a big deal.

Evan, if I recall, those are/were really stout push-pull cables; we called it "PTO cable" back in the day.

Glad the motor came back to life without replacing it. I swear it was working just fine the last time I had used it.

Which was never.

:D

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Looking at an old Meyers now, but it has a pump that needs to be mounted on the engine. .

You can convert that very easily if you buy a '12V hydraulic power unit, reversible' off eBay. I've bought a few for various and sundry projects over the years. If its also an old power-angle plow though..things get a bit trickier and you need to buy a single-direction 12V pump and either use the original 2-spool manual control valve assembly or add two 4-way directional valves ..and that's starting to get expensive there.