• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Snow run and the Bronco experience

PPiazza

Loc.
Newark California
This past weekend did some snow wheeling in N. California. Since my Bronco is still not ready to go out on the trail yet, I took the Heep. About 1/2 mile off the road I came accross a nice 67 Bronco buried to the frame in snow. Two guys with Che#$ trucks (stock) were trying to pull him out with no luck. <br><br>After lowering the air in the tires I passed buy the trucks and went around the Bronco and got stuck myself. After some winching I got to a dry patch and turned around to winch the Bronco out. I forgot how heavy Bronco's are. Trying to winch did me no good it actually pulled me back into the snow. After a half hour of shoveling I was able to winch the Bronco out with the heep. <br><br>We continued on and I led the party through some fun snow. My wife asked is being stuck like that typical in a Bronco ?:? ?:?. I think she was just rubbing it in. Its just a funny thing that after 10 years of pulling people out in the snow we had to wait until I had to buy a Bronco to pull a Bronco out.<br><br>It was a sad sad day the Heep led the trail and blased the way, a samaria followed without any problems and the Bronco struggled all the way. Let me qualify this a bit. Heep locked front and rear, low gears and set up. Samarai locked rear and Bronco stock.<br><br>In this case the Heep won....In the future I am sure the Bronco will win<br><br>PP

Jeepster

Bronco Guru
Having lockers or limited slip is the saving grace in snow. The more wheels you got turning the better off you are.

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
Tell me more about the Heep...<br>year, model, and tell about all the other than stock mods. ;D

OP
OP
PPiazza

PPiazza

Loc.
Newark California
[quote author=BwoncoHowie link=board=5;threadid=13722;start=0#103205 date=1043692806]<br>Tell me more about the Heep...<br>year, model, and tell about all the other than stock mods. ;D<br>[/quote]<br><br><br>The Heep is a 95 Wrangler with a 4 CYL Automatic. Stock Transfercase with a 4 to 1 in it. Lift 6 inch single leaf. Ford 9 inch in the back with detroit, front is a 44 with a ARB. many other mods.<br><br>My Plans for the Bronco include a 5 inch lift 35's, 351, modified transfercase (not sure what yet) Detroit in the back, not sure what in the front yet prbably a electronic locker of some sort. and many other mods.<br><br>

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
[quote author=WheelingPiazza link=board=5;threadid=13722;start=0#103220 date=1043699045]<br>[quote author=BwoncoHowie link=board=5;threadid=13722;start=0#103205 date=1043692806]<br>Tell me more about the Heep...<br>year, model, and tell about all the other than stock mods. ;D<br>[/quote]<br><br><br>The Heep is a 95 Wrangler with a 4 CYL Automatic. Stock Transfercase with a 4 to 1 in it. Lift 6 inch single leaf. Ford 9 inch in the back with detroit, front is a 44 with a ARB. many other mods.<br><br>My Plans for the Bronco include a 5 inch lift 35's, 351, modified transfercase (not sure what yet) Detroit in the back, not sure what in the front yet prbably a electronic locker of some sort. and many other mods.<br><br> <br>[/quote]<br><br>Pretty cool squeezing that kind of fun out of a 4-banger ;D BH

DPM77

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Seattle, Washington
If the heep with the Ford 9" locked, and 44 ARB pushed by a 4 banger was fun, think about the EB locked up with double the ponies. <br><br>I have spent some time shoveling snow out from under Ernie, it ain't no fun! The Eb stock in the snow is tough, If I were to play that way a lot, I'd get lockers. I'm personally thinking of limited slips F & R for balance sake.<br><br>I had a stock YJ with a 6banger in it, it was a fun rig. Lots lighter than the EB. I also think its fun to 'wheel with other kinds of rigs, doesn't have to be an EB to have merit. <br><br>dpm

OP
OP
PPiazza

PPiazza

Loc.
Newark California
[quote author=BwoncoHowie link=board=5;threadid=13722;start=0#103225 date=1043699738]<br>[quote author=WheelingPiazza link=board=5;threadid=13722;start=0#103220 date=1043699045]<br>[quote author=BwoncoHowie link=board=5;threadid=13722;start=0#103205 date=1043692806]<br>Tell me more about the Heep...<br>year, model, and tell about all the other than stock mods. ;D<br>[/quote]<br><br><br>The Heep is a 95 Wrangler with a 4 CYL Automatic. Stock Transfercase with a 4 to 1 in it. Lift 6 inch single leaf. Ford 9 inch in the back with detroit, front is a 44 with a ARB. many other mods.<br><br>My Plans for the Bronco include a 5 inch lift 35's, 351, modified transfercase (not sure what yet) Detroit in the back, not sure what in the front yet prbably a electronic locker of some sort. and many other mods.<br><br> <br>[/quote]<br><br>Pretty cool squeezing that kind of fun out of a 4-banger ;D BH<br>[/quote]<br><br>Yea, I really do not notice the lack of horsepower on the trail, its low enough to do anything I want it to do. Where I really notice the lack of power is on the highway. That is why I am building a Bronco. I love that V8 sound and performance on the highway. The Heep goes where I want it to. Done some pretty fun stuff.<br><br>

hucklburry

My stock, uncut, 3 on the tree EB did great in the snow. BUT, it had l/s front and rear, 4.11 gears. That was stock.<br><br>Its getting a frame off, lift, 33s, uncut still, but those l/s (or lockers) make a HUGE difference.<br><br>--Jim

OP
OP
PPiazza

PPiazza

Loc.
Newark California
I agree in most cases its not all about horse power but the ability to go slow and keep momentum. But its always nice to hit the go pedal and hold on.... ;D. I am looking forward to giving the 302 a bit of gass and hearing hte V8 roar over the 4 CYL whine. ;D ;D ;D

carnage351

Loc.
Albuquerque, NM
What Kind of tires did the EB have on it. In my 85 fullsized Bronco I found that tires made a big diference in snow... Not that we get a lot of snow in New Mexico

OP
OP
PPiazza

PPiazza

Loc.
Newark California
I agree that tires make a huge difference. Most of all what makes the biggest difference is airing down. I found that any tires with decent M/S tread aired down do well. In fact in the same trip mentioned above I told the ch#$^ guys to air down and they did much better. I run 33 BFG Muds on the Jeep and Good Year Mud on the Bronco both do great in the snow. My favorite for snow has to be the BFG all terrain. Air those suckers down and you can go anyplace.

Hnrys69

Bronco Guru
I absolutly hated my BFG A/Ts. The BFG muds owned them big time in the snow from my experiances, but that was in a build nissan truck. Cant wait to test out the new meats in some real snow when I get spooled...