• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Soft brake pedal

OP
OP
C

Concrete

Will usually depend on the master cylinder itself. If it’s a universal aftermarket unit, it might go contrary to factory original. But all factory original ford bronco dual master cylinders were back-to-front and front-to-back.

The fact that you could even hook yours up differently in the first place means that either the lines, the master, or both are non-reproduction replacements.
I bought this project in boxes. Literally. It came with new stainless lines. I put on a aftermarket power brake kit. One thing that just crossed my mindwould be the proportioning valve. That came with the project. It was very clean so I assumed it to be new. Also at a quick glance, the size of fittings of the lines going to proportioning valve appear to be different size Of each other. So it appears you can’t plumb it wrong. ( I’m a little under the weather so I haven’t put a wrench on it) thanks for your help. Greatly appreciated!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Ahh, so you get to start from scratch and are expected to know everything there is to know about all makes and models of vehicles ahead of time! Bronco-in-a-box(es) build.
One of THOSE projects!

If the prop valve had different size ports, it's a good bet it's an OE item. Whether Ford or not, or whether Bronco or not, would need to be determined.
The master is the same way, but we can often tell from a picture if it's at least an appropriate Bronco item. Ford, like all the others, used different parts for different vehicles, even if they looked the same. Different size pistons, different depth pistons, different size ports. You get the picture.

Maybe a few pics of your setup will help us get the right info to you. You can upload them for free to your Garage and Gallery functions, or you can upload them directly to your discussion by becoming a contributor for 12bucks a year. Other means as well, but those are the basic-three I know how to work with.
Well worth the cost if you plan to use the photo functions to their fullest during your project.

I hear you on the under the weather thing. I feel for ya. Been in the same place for more than a month now (with possibly a small break in the middle for good behavior?) and just realized I probably forgot to lock the doors on the Bronco. Was getting it set up to do some detective work on it, then got sideswiped. Turned my computer on four or five days ago with the intention of getting some work done here, but this is the first time I've even sat down in front of it in that time! The few times I've posted up have been from my phone, in bed, between sleep, ice cream and Gilligan's Island reruns. Keep waiting for the new season to start, but no dice so far....;):rolleyes:

Paul

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
There can be a difference between a “soft” pedal and a “long travel” pedal.
Where soft is usually air in the system and long travel is usually a rod adjustment.
You found yours to be the adjustment.

But that one component of a combination valve is called a “delay” or “hold off” or “metering” valve. I hope I have the names right. Some variation. It’s purpose is to delay the application of the front disc brakes until the rear drum brakes have taken up there extra play and caught up. This stabilizes the vehicle during the initial application of the brakes.

But it also means that it reduces or completely illuminates fluid flow to the front brakes under low pressure. Which makes bleeding very problematic sometimes.
Most people never run afoul of it. But it crops up often enough to where we have to mention it every time.

It’s discussed in the shop manuals of these types of vehicles. Including the special tools that were available back in the day to hold the valve open during bleeding of the front brakes.

yeah, great points for sure

OP
OP
C

Concrete

Ahh, so you get to start from scratch and are expected to know everything there is to know about all makes and models of vehicles ahead of time! Bronco-in-a-box(es) build.
One of THOSE projects!

If the prop valve had different size ports, it's a good bet it's an OE item. Whether Ford or not, or whether Bronco or not, would need to be determined.
The master is the same way, but we can often tell from a picture if it's at least an appropriate Bronco item. Ford, like all the others, used different parts for different vehicles, even if they looked the same. Different size pistons, different depth pistons, different size ports. You get the picture.

Maybe a few pics of your setup will help us get the right info to you. You can upload them for free to your Garage and Gallery functions, or you can upload them directly to your discussion by becoming a contributor for 12bucks a year. Other means as well, but those are the basic-three I know how to work with.
Well worth the cost if you plan to use the photo functions to their fullest during your project.

I hear you on the under the weather thing. I feel for ya. Been in the same place for more than a month now (with possibly a small break in the middle for good behavior?) and just realized I probably forgot to lock the doors on the Bronco. Was getting it set up to do some detective work on it, then got sideswiped. Turned my computer on four or five days ago with the intention of getting some work done here, but this is the first time I've even sat down in front of it in that time! The few times I've posted up have been from my phone, in bed, between sleep, ice cream and Gilligan's Island reruns. Keep waiting for the new season to start, but no dice so far....;):rolleyes:

Paul
Well brakes are all dialed in. Calipers we’re on the wrong side after all. Trial and error lol. This has been a fun learning experience. Thank you for your help and insight!

El Kabong

Contributor
Driving stuff Henry built
Congrats. Nice to get it figured out, isn't it?