• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Soft Top - Half Cab Style

GrillMaster

Bronco Guru
Chuck talked about building one of these down the road. I think he would sell a lot of them. I just need something to use when it rains. Anyone have any pics of homemade soft half cab tops or hear anything from vendors?

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Ok that's 2 people interested. I am going to ask this question because a while back I did a lot of running around town talking to canvas guys and figuring up steel prices all to come up with a half cab soft top cost. ( I want one for Dad's build)
What do you all think a half cab soft top should cost?
Keep in mind many people are saying how they like the new full tops that Tom's and JBG are now selling. They cost around $ 500.00
I know what my #'s totaled up to.
Bax

a67and77

Loc.
Albuq.
I've been thinking about having one made or trying to make one. I got rid of my steel 1/2 cab top long ago and would like to be able to have a cloth one around to slip on and off.

daduze2

Loc.
Central IL
I always wanted to commission a half cab one for mine too.

I was even thinking like a half cab that turns and runs along the bed like bestop has for the heeps out there. Sorry for the ugly picture below, but it is a good example.;D

Attachments

• half cab heep.jpg
    half cab heep.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 28

greatguy57078

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have thought about this same thing for a long time. I would like something that folds back and down, and back up without taking it off (like a convertible).

Buldozer

Bronco Virtuoso
Loc.
God's Country
Ok Bax, I will bite ;D ....no more than $350-$400. They would cost less than the full top I would think. About a year ago I tried to find one of these and there are none...Looked at a lot of options and finally decided to tie-rap a piece of Plexiglas to my roll bar above my half cab bulkhead and put my bikini top on and run the heater wide open...;)

Ohio Bronco 21

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cleveland
If its a well done Half top that is constructed from Sunbrella material (Canvas like) with a Nice rigid frame that has a zip out rear section. I would say it would be about as much as the cheaper vinyl full tops. $500 or so.

a67and77

Loc.
Albuq.
If I remember correctly I think there is what looks like a 1/2 cab soft top on one of the Broncos in the WH catalog. It was a white bronco with lights above the windshield. the pic was in an old WH catalog but a small pic is on the back cover of the new one. Anyone know how that one was made?

Broncology

Only if they are canvas tops like Chuck's and not the vinyl looking type. Its worth paying more to have a better quality top.

ugly_od_eb

Loc.
Moyock, NC
What about bronco's with a full roll cage? wouldnt that cause some fitment issues with all the different type of cages out there? I would like to have one but i have a S&W cage. I think the "big 7" companies would copy each other but make them so they just fit there cages ?:? Just a thought

bax

Contributor
Old Member
The trucks with cages or roll bars that extend past the soft top area will not work. That is one of the problems I see with this. It will only fit a limited amount of trucks. I dont think you could sell enough to make any money.

4lofun

i used my full top as a halfcab cover. used the bows cut down and stuffed into door frame. cut the top part shorter, removed the rear panel, wrapped sides across back. not perfect but was free

Attachments

• as.jpg
    as.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 81

Dan's73

Bronco Guru
In the short term, I'd say 4lofun's solution will be the easiest & cheapest. I've always wanted to build a half cab and a soft top for it would be sweet. I know I'd be interested.

I'd guess one could be made, just as with other hard & soft tops, to a "stock standard". That way, the buyer knows it will or won't work with their setup & what it might take to make it work. For example: the STC soft top I put on mine is great but it wasn't working with the CRAB cage that I put in. I modified the rear bow a bit, tweaked the front door seal frames, and now it clears everything & I can still fold it down as before.

OP
OP
GrillMaster

GrillMaster

Bronco Guru
You could put some type of stiched in rubber pads in the general area of the rear bars that could be cut to fit different cages. Caould also come with some paper templates. DOn't need a huge window in the back.