• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

SOLVED - Hr,me get my 302 started!

WDGS

Here's what I have - 302 (rebuilt by previous owner) unknown miles but prob in the 20k range. Points. C4. Brand new 2bbl 2100 carb from national carb.

New wiring harness. New module.

I did all the seals while I did my frame-off.

I've Hooked up everything - put marcel mystery oil in the cylimders a few days ago. i primed the carb and she acts like she wants to turn over almost starting but just won't go.

I'm getting a few backfires out of the carb.

Any advice?

Last edited:

70_Steve

Old Guy
I'm getting a few backfires out of the carb.
Did you pull the distributor? If so it may be in 180° out. That happens if you install the distributor with the #1 piston at TDC (the timing mark at 0°) but on the exhaust stroke instead of the compression stroke.

OP
OP
W

WDGS

Ok so I found the problem.

A gremlin came into the garage in the middle of the night and switched all the plug wires around - clearly my dumba$$ didn't mess it up that bad.

Good news is that she ROARS and runs like the beast she is.

I think the fuel pump is shot - dying after the carb bowl runs out. Off to autozone!!

Big exciting day over here!!!!