• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Some '66 Year only Questions

Ttime

Recently got a really nice '66 U15 with 289 meaning it is later year production. I figured I would ask "The Experts" on here some questions specific to the '66 year model. I found the thread that goes over the main features but have few questions maybe y'all can add your expertise to. So hear it goes:

1. What color should the coolant overflow tank be painted...I have seen some black and some gold??

2. Can or should the FORD letters on tailgate be body color or Off White?

3. What color should tailgate handle/latch be...body color, silver, black??

4. Any reason not to add roll bar...I just like going with hard top off and bikini top but this is an uncut with hard top.

5. Should FORD letters in grille be red or just off white same as grille?

6. Engine block and valve colors old ford blue but is it correct for Air Cleaner to be Black?

7. What is going rate for set of nice original hub caps if I can locate some??

8. Anyone have any original '66 bumpers lying around in good shape?

Really appreciate the input and expertise I know you guys can provide.

Happy 4th!

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
Recently got a really nice '66 U15 with 289 meaning it is later year production. I figured I would ask "The Experts" on here some questions specific to the '66 year model. I found the thread that goes over the main features but have few questions maybe y'all can add your expertise to. So hear it goes:

1. What color should the coolant overflow tank be painted...I have seen some black and some gold??

2. Can or should the FORD letters on tailgate be body color or Off White?

3. What color should tailgate handle/latch be...body color, silver, black??

4. Any reason not to add roll bar...I just like going with hard top off and bikini top but this is an uncut with hard top.

5. Should FORD letters in grille be red or just off white same as grille?

6. Engine block and valve colors old ford blue but is it correct for Air Cleaner to be Black?

7. What is going rate for set of nice original hub caps if I can locate some??

8. Anyone have any original '66 bumpers lying around in good shape?

Really appreciate the input and expertise I know you guys can provide.

Happy 4th!

1. Tank should be black.

2. Originally, they would have been either Red or Wimbledon White.

3. Handle assembly would have been a silver-ish cast looking color.

4. That is personal preference, I wouldn't but I'm a bit of a purist.

5. Grille letters would be black.

6. Yes, air cleaner would originally be black.

7. Depending on condition, I've seen anywhere from $600-$1000+.

8. I want a set too for spares! ;D

House

Minutia Militia
I second everything JGB said! :cool:
Congrats on your new Bronco!

gddyap

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Mtn View, CA
It may not be correct but I'd put in a roll bar just for safety sake. You can't control other drivers out there. Maybe find a Stroppe roll bar.

Specracer

Also on the letters on both the grill and tailgate, they were rolled on, not vinyl or masked and sprayed. The roller (speculated to be a brayer, which is what I had success using) leaves a rolled finish with a softer edge.

eaglenest66

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Also on the letters on both the grill and tailgate, they were rolled on, not vinyl or masked and sprayed. The roller (speculated to be a brayer, which is what I had success using) leaves a rolled finish with a softer edge.

Can you give the specs on the brayer you used? (i.e. hard or soft, width and where did you purchase) Any pics of the finished product? thanks, tim

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If you're going to drive it much at all, I would not hesitate to put a roll bar in. Even for the semi-purists, many a Bronco came with a dealer installed bar before it was purchased by the original owner. Other than a factory part then, can't get much more original than original dealer installed.

Paul

Specracer

I'm not a brayer expert, but it seemed to be on the harder side (soft enough to deflect enough for coverage, but hard enough not to deflect to the point it would hit the main part of the panel). It was ~3". I masked all around to keep me from hitting anywhere around by mistake (masking didn't make transition line). I used 2 different paints. In the back I used the paint I used on the grill (Nason if I recall). Used a piece of glass to get the paint on the brayer, and even it out. One application, 2 passes gave me good coverage (truck is springtime yellow, so not super high contrast).

The front was harder, as the letters are smaller and are angled so your rolling over 2 different planes. I used "one shot" striping paint, thinking because of the higher contrast, I would need a thick paint. If doing over I would not use this, or at least, not at full thickness. The paint was too thick, and was even a bit "stringy" off the backside of the roll stroke. This left a tiny bit of paint just off the letters, almost looks like lint. Not bad, but I see it. I would just use a normal single stage paint (like the rear). Results are not laser perfect like vinyl, but has a hand done look similar to the pics I researched here, I just don't have the hand like the expert that did it a couple thousand times on the line.

I'll try to get a couple pix today.

Can you give the specs on the brayer you used? (i.e. hard or soft, width and where did you purchase) Any pics of the finished product? thanks, tim