• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Someone explain this to me please

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Long story short, my Mallory Unilight distributor went out on me this weekend, so I put in the old nearly burnt out set of points so I could get her started. Amazingly, with this old set of points, My Bronco started easier, ran quieter and smoother, and had more getup than it ever did with the electronic ignition. What the hell?!?!?!??!?!?!?!? Forget replacing the Mallory, I'm going to get myself a twenty dollar set of points and condenser and be done with it.

74bronc

Bronco Guru
There is no doubt about it, points were/are a good ignition system. They work well etc. but changing and gapping them all the time gets old. Electronic ignition is supposed to give you a little hotter spark, but I say if they work for you, leave them in. I honestly couldn't tell a difference in the way my bronco ran when I switched out the points in favor of a duraspark, but I haven't had to touch the durspark for 3 years. I used to change my points about every 6 months.

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
[quote author=thegreatjustino link=board=5;threadid=11691;start=0#85885 date=1038255837]<br>Long story short, my Mallory Unilight distributor went out on me this weekend, so I put in the old nearly burnt out set of points so I could get her started. Amazingly, with this old set of points, My Bronco started easier, ran quieter and smoother, and had more getup than it ever did with the electronic ignition. What the hell?!?!?!??!?!?!?!? Forget replacing the Mallory, I'm going to get myself a twenty dollar set of points and condenser and be done with it.<br>[/quote]<br><br>Justin-<br><br>You aren't the first person I've heard of with Mallory problems, though I'm sure there are plenty who will defend them staunchly. A race car engineer friend won't go near their stuff, he recommends that anyone wanting an electronic ignition for a small block Ford use the OEM Duraspark parts. I've never used the Duraspark stuff myself but I'd be inclined to go that way. If you do have a problem with it parts are still widely available. in fact when he had a Bronco he had a spare module mounted under the hood on the fenderwell just in case, but apparently he never needed it. I just saw a couple of 302 Duraspark setups in my favorite local yard on Saturday.<br><br>My .02, worth what you paid for it...<br><br>Lars

edjolly

Loc.
Denver Colorado
EI doesn't make a motor run better, it just makes it maintenance free. No point gap adjustments, no burned points etc.<br>On the flip side, you can troubleshoot a point system easier, on the EI system you can check circuits all the way to the magic box, and if you don't find the problem, you are out 60 bucks.<br>Also, if you have an intermittent problem that burns components, it is much cheaper to replace points than boxes until you can trace the problem.<br>All said, I'll take the Duraspark. 99% of the time you start it and never think about it.<br><br>Ed<br>