• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Spacers... :(

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Failure to check and recheck wheel torques periodically until the torques remain constant from one inspection to the next.

Failure to maintain clean mating surfaces between the wheel, hub, and spacer surfaces and introducing additional runnout into the system which can lead to vibrations and subsequent wheel stud loosening issues.

Poor adapter design, especially the lack of torque rings/pockets around the wheel studs or bolt circle to aid in maintaining proper wheel stud torque/preload. If you want to see a well designed wheel adapter/spacer, refer to H&R Trak+ spacers.

Poor wheel spacer design and/or materials. Wheel spacers with multiple wheel patterns marketed as "universal" tend to also be die-cast from the least expensive aluminum and are prone to breaking due to unequal wheel torque, overloading, etc.

Lack of maintaining hub-centricity in applications where that is important...EB's not so much, however performance, high-speed applications tend to fall into this category.

The issues above tend to be the most common, however there are other issues like the use of press-in wheel studs with inadequate under-head surface area for use with aluminum, low-quality studs, etc that can also come into play. Properly designed, installed and maintained, I don't see any issues with the use of spacers or adapters, but that's true for so many of the modifications we do to our rigs.

Tobin

Almost none of which are applicable to what I run without issue...well-designed well-made solid billet bolt-on wheel spacers. Of course they are not cheap..;)

OP
OP
K

kricci

Loc.
Houston
Well after investigating my car at the shop we determined that the PO was running the spacers to allow the current wheels to fit without hitting the tie rod, the wheels are definitely not the right offset and the lugs only seated on about 4 threads or so, definitely not safe or ideal.

so once I get the fender/door fixed I'll be in the market for some new wheels as I'm not comfortable with that setup at all.

Unfortunately the fender flare is on back order for 2-3 weeks so I won't be getting my bronco back anytime soon :(

landshark99

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Montrose, Colorado
would running longer studs with that spacer be better if you stayed on top of the torque specs?

Reason I'm asking is I have the same kind of spacers as you and it was just a temporary solution. Your situation reminded me that I need to implement a permanent solution...

I dont want to go to a 1"+ spacer, trying to keep the wheels tucked in but as you I hit the tie rod ends... I'm running 7" slots.. kinda hard to find so backspacing is a problem unless I go to 78/79 knuckles which I'm considering.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
.. kinda hard to find so backspacing is a problem unless I go to 78/79 knuckles which I'm considering.

Bingo. The EB disc brake knuckles won't allow most available wheel backspacing options to fit without spacers. Simple as that. And is why billet spacers are installed on my '76.

landshark99

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Montrose, Colorado
Bingo. The EB disc brake knuckles won't allow most available wheel backspacing options to fit without spacers. Simple as that. And is why billet spacers are installed on my '76.

that's what I thought, I will just find a set of knuckles and stay on top of torquing the wheels until then.. .

OP
OP
K

kricci

Loc.
Houston
Reason I'm asking is I have the same kind of spacers as you and it was just a temporary solution. Your situation reminded me that I need to implement a permanent solution

Glad to help you out ;)

So it sounds like I'm limited in my wheel choices given the current set-up, can you point me in the direction of some quality spacers?

matts460

Could always go to wheel vintiques and order chrome reverse rims like on the Baja Broncos in the proper backspacing. lol I did this on my 72 F100, i had gotten tired of my sloted mags and the shanked lug nuts kinda suck. If you dont keep anything on the shank like antiseez they will get stuck in the rim! And was very sick of polishing them and didnt ever get around to getting them professionaly polished and cleared. So it was nice to go back to steel rims and normal factory type lug nuts! The rims where about 120bucks for 15x8's!

bigjhoov

nobody
Yes, that's a common spacer on the '76-'77 Bronco's. That wheel is also a very common choice on EB's. You'll be hard pressed to find a better looking wheel than that for an EB, IMO. I'd put some longer studs in it and run it. However, you can't overlook basic maintenance and be suprised when things fail, especially an aluminum wheel. It's a simple fix. Make it right and drive the snot out of it.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
glad your damage wasn't worst... to you OR the rig...

OP
OP
K

kricci

Loc.
Houston
well got my rig back yesterday and got her cleaned up today... worst experience with a shop ever, but glad to have her home.

No more spacers for me, i went with a 15x8 rim with a (-19 offset i believe), to clear the tie rod. It BARELY clears it, but it does so that is good.

Now that the wheels are so bright, i may paint the front grill a brighter white to match, it was painted to match my seats and dash, but now it looks a little off with the grill being a beige and the wheels being bright white..

I like the new look and the slightly more aggressive stance.

bronco italiano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
H & R Trak + spacers doesn't make one for our broncos.

-Would like to have their style too for mine.

broncobilly72

NOTE: Have the alignment checked after repairs. I had a similar situation and ended up with a slightly bent steering knuckel that needed to replaced.

bronco italiano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I spoke with Lenny at motorsport. He had the ID of the front hubs and stated he has done many spacers for EB. Should have my front spacers by next week. Excited to get U.S. mags on all 4 corners. Lwnny was great assistance.