• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Spare Tire Carrier Question

mavman427

Loc.
Nipomo, CA
I have noticed that the factory spare tire mount doesn't get much love around here, seems like everybody opts for the bumper-mounted spare tire carrier. Why is that? Does the spare tire block the rear window with the factory carrier, does it rip away from the body eventually?

rsharpnm

Loc.
Las Cruces
Mine fatigued and cracked the sheetmetal on the tailgate around the latch. Bigger spare tires make it worse. That being said, I still run the stock one with a 35" spare, but I welded on a support brace that puts the weight on the rear bumper while the latch just holds it from swinging now.

But that POS has gotta go soon...

Dan's73

Bronco Guru
In my experience, the stock carrier is OK if you plan on carrying a stock (or close to it) spare....anything larger really seems to stress the carrier, making it rattle & squeak even more than it did before. Yes, it can pull the rear corner from the qtr panel. Also, I've had a few that had to be tied, bolted, or otherwise "doubly" secured as the latch mechanism was worn out & the thing would pop loose just driving down the road.

Having said all that, I've still got the stock carrier on my '73 that's carried 32" & 33" spares for the last 8+ years without much hassle. Until recently it saw mostly on-road use and very light trails. First real trail I took it on, sure enough, I had issues. Since I hope to do more off-roading with it, I do plan to upgrade to something else to make it more solid, secure, & take all of that stress off of the body.

76 bronco J

Bronco Guru
>>> even with just a stock tire size or close to it I'd still switch to the bumper mount, so the truck can take a higher impact to the rear without doing any damage ..... this came into play when I was bumped pretty hard from behind one day in traffic & suffered no damage.....

22213evl

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rio Rancho N.M.
was one of the first things to come off mine when I bought it as the tailgate had cracks in it and had already been repaired b4.

matt w

Bronco Guru
i have a factory one to sell! heh-heh:cool:;D,,

...............,on my way administrator!!!;D ha-ha-ha

redburns

Mine fatigued and cracked the sheetmetal on the tailgate around the latch. Bigger spare tires make it worse. That being said, I still run the stock one with a 35" spare, but I welded on a support brace that puts the weight on the rear bumper while the latch just holds it from swinging now.

But that POS has gotta go soon...

Would you have any pics you could share?

blakerj10

Loc.
Gillette
I don't know if tire size has a whole lot to do with it. When I pulled off my factory spare, that thing weighed more than the 33x12.50 and aluminum rim combo that replaced it. I think its a hokey design. Bolt a tire to the body seems dumb/