• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Spark Plug Gap Size

Slumlord

Loc.
Portland, Oregon
I just picked up the Wild Horses Petronix Performance Tune-Up kit with the Ignitor, Flame Thrower Coil, and Flame Thrower Wires and I'm getting ready for the weekend to install it all. My question for all of you who have this kit, do you need to gap your spark plugs to a certain size or is the "stock" setting ok? Oh yeah, what IS the stock setting!? :)

Yes, I did a search...

Oh yeah, after searching I DID find that the Autolite plugs seem to work best for our EB's, is that a pretty accurate statement?

Thanks gang.

edge4

Contributor
Loc.
Gonzales, Texas
I experimented from .45 to .55 on my Duraspark II and TFI with a widebody distributor. Make sure to use dilectric grease on the tips with the hotter ignition. And yes, skip the quad tip, platinum coated, berillium shafted plugs and go buy standard Autolites.

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
I disagree with my learned compatriot of the previous posting.
(God, is it great to live in a free country!!)

I say the 4 poster Bosch plugs are the greatest.
Made my Bronco just sit up and purr like contented kitty.
She also growls like mad lion when you step on her tail too!!
Her table manners have improved too!!

The old fart in Canada.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Quick rules on plug gap:

The hotter the ignition system, the bigger the gap you can run. That is stepping up to electronic ignition add about .010 gap. Add a CD box you can go about another .004 or so.

The more cylinder pressure you have (compression), the less gap you can run before the spark blows out.

The larger the gap, the harder it is on the secondary parts of the ignition system (cap, rotor, wires) and the bigger the chance of a little water in the system making it run like crap. But, the benefit is more power, better mileage, and a cleaner running engine.

Always a compromise. My suggestion would to run a plug gap as listed for an engine like yours with electronic ignition. I think that is around .032 to .035, but that is off memory, I don’t have the books in front of me at the moment.

iwlbcnu

Bronco Guru
Take a look at those 4 prong plugs, how many of those tips are equally spaced? Now current takes the path of least resistance, so basically you are running on one contact at a time, so all you gain is plug life.

basically any of the coatings, tips, etc all they give you is plug life, and no real gains in hp. So unless you are lazy and never swap plugs, the reg Autolites are suff.

Rick Anderson (big stang tuner) claims there is no dyno proven hp past .035, just emissions and mileage.

teqoso

Loc.
walnut creek,ca
What setting have you guys run who are running efi setups - mustang or other donors? I have a 93 5.0 and am currently running Autolites 24 with 0.052 spacing. All ford Mustangs advised this setting for mustangs, with the bronco setup-large tires, gears and weight, what do you guys think is the perfect setup for all around performance?