• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Spark plug wire connection at the distributor?

bsquared

Contributor
Dammit if I'm not feeling like a goob right about now! Ordered a set of high quality spark plug wires from Summit for a 5.0L (I have a 96 Exploder) and the distributor end of the plug wires has a connection that (I think) is supposed to slip inside of a distributor cap connection. (very long)

My current wires have a recessed connection at the distributor cap, like a spark plug. (MSD cap poles look just like a spark plug) What would be the proper name for a conversion lug kit to change from a stock Ford 5.0L outside pole to an MSD inside pole? I can change the ends, but am struggling with the proper name to look it up! Thanks in advance!

Cheers, B2

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hmm, good question. Might be as simple as calling them "HEI ends" or something like that, since they came out during the then-new hei/high energy ignition updates in the seventies.
I prefer them actually and wonder why anyone still opts for the old style female towers on the cap. They're notorious for collecting moisture, corroding and just pulling apart if you (like I used to) tend to fiddle with the wires more than occasionally.

The good stuff (in my opinion) is the later HEI/Duraspark/MSD/etc. male ends on the caps and plugs (like you said, looks just like a spark plug end) that accept the female 90's on the wire end.

I would think that just asking for spark plug wire terminals would net you just the two styles for the distributor end, and two or three common styles for the plug ends.
In fact, I would bet that lots of members here have extras that came with their plug wire sets. Maybe a quick shout out in the classifieds would rustle up some that they'd part with easily.
I know I've got them squirreled away somewhere, but you'd likely be sporting a long gray beard before I find them!%)

Good luck. Sorry I didn't know the exact terminology either, but start with "hei" and see where that leads.

Paul

Broncobowsher

Total hack
If I understand the question right, you have a distributor cap with female terminals. But you want a cap with male terminals to use your new plug wire.

All stock parts. Cap adaptor, cap, and rotor for a duraspark something with a V8. Say 1977 (I think they all went to the male cap by then but had not started the funky distributor cap ideas at that time.

A warning bell that is going off is it sounds like you are using the old distributor on a newly swapped in Explorer engine. Just want to make sure you have the distributor gear swapped out if this is the case. A distributor gear for a flat tappet cam with physically fit against a roller cam, but the materials are not compatible and will self destruct after a bit of running.

OP
OP
bsquared

bsquared

Contributor
Thanks DirtDonk! My neighbor across the street makes his own wires so I'm going to check and see if he has a stash of the terminals. If he doesn't, you might see a post from me looking to barter for some! Ha!

OP
OP
bsquared

bsquared

Contributor
If I understand the question right, you have a distributor cap with female terminals. But you want a cap with male terminals to use your new plug wire.

All stock parts. Cap adaptor, cap, and rotor for a duraspark something with a V8. Say 1977 (I think they all went to the male cap by then but had not started the funky distributor cap ideas at that time.

A warning bell that is going off is it sounds like you are using the old distributor on a newly swapped in Explorer engine. Just want to make sure you have the distributor gear swapped out if this is the case. A distributor gear for a flat tappet cam with physically fit against a roller cam, but the materials are not compatible and will self destruct after a bit of running.

Hey BroncoBowsher,
Na, I'm just a goob for not paying attention when I ordered the wires. The boots pull back pretty easily an I'm pretty sure my neighbor has the proper crimpers, I just need to source some HEI terminals and swap 'em out. Shouldn't be too tough. Thanks for the reply! B2

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
As Broncobowsher already said, all you'll need to use the newer style wires is the newer style cap, cap adapter, and rotor. The newer design is way better anyway.
http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=43727&cc=1105591&jsn=550

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=945812&cc=1105591&jsn=555

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=46339&cc=1105591&jsn=566

You should be able to get this stuff at any auto parts store or pick yard.

And yes, make sure you're using the correct distributor gear for your cam.

Last edited by a moderator:

SHX669

Bronco Guru
If you stay with the " female " distributor cap put 90* ends on the plug wires. Besides several benefits it won't look like a squirrel decide to make an 8 string banjo out of your plug wires.

OP
OP
bsquared

bsquared

Contributor
Napa.
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BEL727201

They should have boots too if you need them.

Hey Guys, thanks for the replys. Sho-nuff, I ordered exactly what Gr8Scott suggested from Summit w/ the boots. Set up the swap shop in my kitchen because Hades has descended upon Houston. My neighbor did have the crimp block and changed them all out last night and Bronco is running like a champ. Wires ended up being wicked long, so later on I'm going to cut them back and re-crimp for a better fit. Easy-peasy with the correct crimp tool!

Thanks for your help, B2

Attachments

• TuneUpTues.JPG
    TuneUpTues.JPG
    146.1 KB · Views: 28

gr8scott

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Nice. Some time ago I bought myself the crimp tool so I could make my own. Turned out pretty well.

Attachments

• Wires.jpg
    Wires.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 24