• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

specific flare locations

bax

Contributor
Old Member
are there specific instructions for the location / placement when installing a set of rear fiberglass fairs ???

I am trying to lay these out and my question is more front to back that up or down. I have been looking at pictures and they all seem to vary some. The truck I have is cut forward to the fender brace (rod) It looks to ne like it needs to go forward more. Is there a standard layout location for the fiberglass flair?

Ethansdad73

Bronco Guru
Rob may have the measurement in his head.. but then we generally use WH flares.

OP
OP
bax

bax

Contributor
Old Member
I just laid out the rear flairs and they are different lengths? The shape at the rear of the flair is different from one side to the other. Perhaps I will try some Bronco design flairs.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I just laid out the rear flairs and they are different lengths? The shape at the rear of the flair is different from one side to the other. Perhaps I will try some Bronco design flairs.

I have one of Mike's (Bronco Designs) trail bodies sitting here on a chassis in the shop...I can measure off how the flairs are built in to his fiberglass tub if you want. Frankly..they are a little off where I would have put them..LOL. To each their own...

OP
OP
bax

bax

Contributor
Old Member
I got comfortable with the placement but I am not to good with the differences.

broncopete78

Loc.
ID
When it comes to the rear, be sure to do the drivers side first. The fuel caps will determine how high and how forward and back you can go. This way you can match it on the passenger side.

WILDHORSES

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
USA
One problem many EB owners have is all the years of following directions that basically left you with one to two inches of clearance in front of the rear tire and five or six at the back of the rear tire.:p

I think you can follow these directions no matter what brand of flares you have. Just remember an instruction sheet is not the law it's just a good suggestion.;D

http://cdn.wildhorses4x4.com/downloads/WH/5770 03-24-08web.pdf

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
before cutting, tape them up, stand way back from the side and decide if it looks good. one of the few parts on a bronco which must look good or the whole thing looks funky.

OP
OP
bax

bax

Contributor
Old Member
I just ordered another set. I went with Bronco designs this time. I hope they are better than the ones I have.

70_Steve

Old Guy
I am trying to lay these out and my question is more front to back that up or down.
The Wild Horses instructions are good, but they don't address the front-to-back location. And of the front-to-back, you also have to consider the top of the flare, and the bottom front and rear, which, even on fiberglass flares, can be changed a couple inches.

I had decided that the top of the flare looks best when it's centered over the wheel. When I did my Warflairs, I dropped a string, centered it on the axle, then made a mark on the fender/quarter panel. Then, had to more or less eyeball the center of the top of the flare, then lined that mark up with the one made previous. I had an already cut opening to deal with, so I spread the bottoms to cover the previous opening, making sure both sides were the same.

I'm very satisfied with the way my flares look!

Attachments

• Bronco On The Beach 2.jpg
    Bronco On The Beach 2.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 71

70 Steed

Many people make the mistake of centering the flare between the gas caps. This usually puts the front edge of the flare too close to the tire.

BronCowie

Contributor
Old Timer
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Many people make the mistake of centering the flare between the gas caps. This usually puts the front edge of the flare too close to the tire.

Yes sir, I just corrected that problem left behind from my PO after I ditched my aux tank and patched the fill tube hole...

DSCN3407_zps34c371db.jpg